We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question regarding trait tree slots

It has been stated that we start out with 2 and further slots scan be purchased in the store. Does this apply to everyone? It would be nice if slots were a VIP bonus, but from what I understand, that is not the case. Could someone please confirm?

F2P and premium characters start out with two free trait slots in the virtues, and class, and racial categories. You get 1 legendary trait free. VIP players have ALL trait slots unlocked permanently on each character that is logged in during the time that you are vip.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000032c48/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Will the permanent unlock be applied to those of us who were VIP in the past (thus having the existing slots unlocked), or only going forward?

Sorry I should have elaborated. I was talking about the new system coming with helms deep. The tree system. I thought I saw somewhere that everyone would be required to buy more than 2 configuration slots, VIP or not. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Moln View Post
    Will the permanent unlock be applied to those of us who were VIP in the past (thus having the existing slots unlocked), or only going forward?
    This is a very good question. I am currently Premium and have 8 toons with all trait slots unlocked. The trait slots will still be unlocked for HD won't they?

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    I think what you're referring to is the new ability to save trait configurations (does not currently exist in the game). Currently the plan is to have 2 free and additional available for purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    I think what you're referring to is the new ability to save trait configurations (does not currently exist in the game). Currently the plan is to have 2 free and additional available for purchase.
    I suspect I may get flamed for this, but it would be nice, and comparable to the restrictions in number of open traits currently, if VIP started with three configurations.

Okay, that was a source of confusion for me. I assumed we bought stuff off the tree and just had access to all such traits, but we'd be able to have two free (more bought) builds (sets of traits bought) that we could swtich between.

So you're saying we have trees (new) and then we need to slot (as we currently do) and then those collections of slotting are what we can have multiples of?

And then switching between those collections can be done on the fly at some coin cost (like now but without the bard visit)?

Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    I suspect I may get flamed for this, but it would be nice, and comparable to the restrictions in number of open traits currently, if VIP started with three configurations.
    I would support this. It would be a nice incentive to VIP, which badly needs more incentives.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

Quote Originally Posted by Belnavar View Post
    I would support this. It would be a nice incentive to VIP, which badly needs more incentives.

-Bel
    I am not VIP anymore and one of the reasons is the lack of incentives. So I would support this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moln View Post
    Okay, that was a source of confusion for me. I assumed we bought stuff off the tree and just had access to all such traits, but we'd be able to have two free (more bought) builds (sets of traits bought) that we could switch between.

So you're saying we have trees (new) and then we need to slot (as we currently do) and then those collections of slotting are what we can have multiples of?

And then switching between those collections can be done on the fly at some coin cost (like now but without the bard visit)?
    It would work similar to what it does now with the war horse traits. You get points as you level which you can then spend on what trait you want to add/upgrade. You have 3 trees (trait lines) in each configuration to choose from and you can do all of one or mix and match to suit your desire. You get two configurations free ( like wardrobe slots ) the rest you can buy. Set each up how you want and then switch between them according to what you are doing in game. It will make sense when it gets here or you get a war horse. You should be able to reset your configurations as well but don't know if that will cost TB or in game currency. We will have to see.

If it is Turbine Store purchase, then I would agree that it would be incredibly disappointing. I don't see why that couldn't be a VIP perk. As mentioned above, the list of perks seems to be diminishing. Aren't things like this supposed to be exactly what VIP is for? We had to pay for the sixth bag, premium wallet, wardrobe slots, legendary item slots, etc. To make matters worse, some of these aren't even account wide.

I thought this horse was long-dead, but it must have moved again. Your 500 TP/month stipend is what VIP's are supposed to use to get extra slots above and beyond the freebies.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

And whatever happened to Destiny Points? Wasn't there supposed to be a system to replace them? I mean apart from spending real money on the same buffs we used to be able to have as a VIP perk...

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    I thought this horse was long-dead, but it must have moved again. Your 500 TP/month stipend is what VIP's are supposed to use to get extra slots above and beyond the freebies.
    Not quite true. VIPs currently have ALL trait slots available while Premium and F2P need to use TP to get that. My suggestion is analagous to the present situation. To give all the same takes yet one more incentive away from going VIP.