We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Legendary Item Noob

I am very close to the 50th level on my champion, and I still dont understand legendary items.

Can anyone point me to an online guide or explain it to me.

How do I get the base legendary item, How do I add to it, ect.

Have you done Volume 2, Book 1 yet? That's where you start getting Legendary Items. The quests are level 50, but can be done as low as level 45 (which is when I do it on all my chars). It begins at Echad Dunnan in Eregion. And, a Hunter can port you there.

Once you complete the final instance in the Expedition, then you'll get your first LI. And, are told to go to either Thorin's Hall or Rivendell, depending on your Race.
    After you've identified the LI, follow the instructions; Equip it, slot a relic, etc. Then, it'll tell you level the Legendary Item to 10. Simply kill things, or complete some lvl 50+ quests (as that's when they start awarding Item exp).
    Once your LI is level 10, return to where you had it identified, and they'll walk you though reforging it. LI's have to be reforged every 10 levels. At lvl 10, 20 and 30, it adds a new legacy. At lvl 40, 50, 60 and 70, it improves the tier of a Legacy, which reduces the number of points to rank it up.

Then, after reforging your LI, it'll send you back to Echad Dunnan for another instance. After this instance, you'll be able to enter Moria proper, get your class item LI and fully unlock all aspects of Forge and Relic masters.

Once you're finished with a LI, you can take it to a Relic Master to deconstruct it for Relics, an Item exp rune and possibly a Legacy replacement scroll (if the LI's level is 30+).

Do you have any specific questions?

Hi, Rattler5150.

Have a read of this page. Be sure to check out the links from it for anything you don't understand.

If you have any more questions after that then feel free to come back and ask; there are plenty of very knowledgeable people here that will be happy to answer them for you.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

The link WBS gave is a good place to start learning about LI's, but I'll add a few more comments.

Think of an LI as a type of character. LI's earn exp and gain levels, just like a character does. You can equip armor and jewelry on a character to improve your stats. On an LI you can equip "relics" which are similar to jewelry for a character. As a character levels up you can learn new skills. As an LI levels up it earns "legacies" which improve the skills of your character.

There are several important differences between a character and an LI. LI's have fixed exp caps. Once an LI hits that cap, it cannot improve any more. When that happens, you can replace the old LI with a new one that has a higher exp cap (you can replace an LI any time you want, you don't have to wait for it to reach it's exp cap). An LI must be "reforged" every 10 exp levels. If an LI is ready for a reforge, it will stop earning exp until the reforge is completed (there are NPC's who can reforge LI's in all the major quest hubs from level 51+, as well as Rivendell and Thorin's Hall).

You MUST complete the Volume 2 Book 1 epic quest arc to use LI's properly. The ability to use LI's is gated by this quest arc. You cannot use LI's properly if you do not complete ALL the quests in Vol 2 Book 1. The quests in Vol 2 Book 1 are the in-game training quests on how to use LI's. There are several non-epic quests in Vol 2 Book 1 which are 100% optional. A couple of them are not easy to solo and can be safely skipped without affecting your ability to complete Vol 2 Book 1. You can group up for those optional quests but they are inside a special instance which can only be run once per character. A character who has already completed that instance can never repeat the instance again on the same character.

When you have finished Vol 2 Book 1, getting new LI's is fairly easy. Level 51+ humanoid mobs (orcs, goblins, evil men, trolls, etc) will drop them as loot regularly. They can be bought/sold on the AH, they can be traded between players and if you do crafting then you can make them (different crafts make different types of LI's). LI's are "bind on equip" like most weapons, armor and jewelry. Once you have equipped an LI on your character, that LI cannot be used by any other character, it cannot be sold or traded to anyone else. Only LI's that have never been equipped by anyone can be traded/sold between players.
    Last edited by GarethB; Sep 18 2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

thanks for your help everyone

Yes thanks for the explanations too as I am curious about LIs too. One question though, I'm assuming LIs still gain xp even if the toon has an xp disabler equipped?

Quote Originally Posted by Druzhina View Post
    Yes thanks for the explanations too as I am curious about LIs too. One question though, I'm assuming LIs still gain xp even if the toon has an xp disabler equipped?
    Yes, they do. Same goes for level-cap. Even if you are level 85 and don't get any xp anymore the LI's still levels.

Side-note: Your warsteed also levels even if you have an xp-disabler equipped.

Eh, just realized there is a shorter version: Everything levels exept you

Regards
    /T
    Dawarad HNT | Dawadan MIN | Dawfast CMP | Dawaran CPT | Dawmur GRD | Dawared WRD | Dawagrim RK | Dawaras LM | Daweric BRG | Dawagar MIN | Dawarar CMP | Dawnakh WRG | Dawbag BA | Dawgil WVR | Dawglob WL |

You can always disable the weapon Xp by going into your LI panel and at the bottom theres a button you can click to disable xp. Although i dont know why you would ever wanna do that lol. Good luck! =)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000118a82/01003/signature.png]Lucipherx[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by zachking91106 View Post
    You can always disable the weapon Xp by going into your LI panel and at the bottom theres a button you can click to disable xp. Although i dont know why you would ever wanna do that lol. Good luck! =)
    At level-cap i always level LI's to 60, but i have used the disabling while leveling new chars in 2 different situations (when i'm far away from a relic/forge-master):

1. Disable it on a LI when it reach 31 to not waste ixp on a LI i want to decon just for a legacy.

2. When i'm close to a new 'LI-sweet-spot' in character-level (65,75). If i have a LI hitting 10*x+1 at this point i might disable it to have a chance of getting more LI's to 10*x+1 before i level. This is because i - the next time at a forge - will decon everything and instead slot the next level LI's to get the benefit of better relics when deconning those later. This way i get the maximum ixp-pills and the highest relics out of the thrash-LI's without wasting ixp.

Ok, i admit it's probably just me being crazy optimizing things like this, but it all adds up in the end

Regards
    /T
    Dawarad HNT | Dawadan MIN | Dawfast CMP | Dawaran CPT | Dawmur GRD | Dawared WRD | Dawagrim RK | Dawaras LM | Daweric BRG | Dawagar MIN | Dawarar CMP | Dawnakh WRG | Dawbag BA | Dawgil WVR | Dawglob WL |