We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Don't interrupt typing in chatbox

I've gotten bored with all random triggers that might make chatbox inactive while you are in the middle of typing. Readycheck, spar or trade request and dying to name some.

Typing in an instance, you die and keep typing for even couple keypresses and you've opened character panel, map, inventory, and maby more windows, plus opening map gives you certain lagspike. Then hit esc, and you may or may not retreat by accident as you decline the revive from cappy instead of closing the map and all the windows, and thus you are forced to sit behind instance gates rest of the fight like a noob while others do the raiding.

Other example. Typing before your group starts a heavy pull, leader does a readycheck and chatbox gets interrupted and you start firing arrows or other ranged attacks by accident (and jump, which is the fun part), starting the pull and wiping the group. No one is not happy even though they made you jump.

Related to this, removing connection between esc and retreat would be very very nice. I bet everyone has at least once in their playtime retreated by accident, when they only meant to close bags or exit chat window.

I miss just typing text in Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online without having to hit "enter" first. I hate having windows pop up all over the place.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I agree, I play a very well known internet spaceships game that's been around since '03, and their chat system is perfect, you click in the chatbox to start typing, and no matter what, until you click outside of the chat window, the chat retains focus. Even after pressing confirmation buttons to join fleets etc.

So annoying coming from that, to LoTRo where you're accidentally opening windows left right and centre, and turning off floating names, opening the map, and most annoyingly for me being in a musical band - interrupting a musical performance.

The game launched with this annoying functionality. People have complained about it ever since I started playing in 2007. Most likely before but I was not here then.

It has been more than six years. Nothing. I long since given up because I feel it is a waste of time because Turbine not going to change it. I suspect it is buried in the deep of the core of the game software. It would involve a lot of effort and a significant risk of massive problems with the game if they start digging around down there.

We have some of the same kind of issues with the software I work on. It will never get improved because it goes way down into the core in some cases all the way to the hardware start up sequence. Management is not willing to risk having a hand held like cell phone that locked up occasionally requiring a battery removal to get it working again. Or something less bad but more annoying to the customers that the existing functionality.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    ... Turbine not going to change it. I suspect it is buried in the deep of the core of the game software. It would involve a lot of effort and a significant risk of massive problems with the game if they start digging around down there....
    And yet, the entire class system is evidently about to undergo a massive overhaul - one that not all the players are convinced is even needed.

i would love for the chat to stay in focus after you type a message and hit enter, i hate hitting enter then typing again and your character jumps, a couple windows pop up and you fire a skill or 2.

If it is possible they could make it so when you hit enter on the chat window it registers 2 enter's instead, one for sending the message and another to bring the focus back to chat, thus keeping you focused on the chat window unless you click out of it.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Quad Core i5 3470 3.20GHz - 8Gb RAM - GTX 660 Ti 2GB (SLI) - Windows 10 64-bit

the thing is that sometimes it works so well , that you are healing the chat box 11123345613453(raid wipe-logs alt cause of shame), or killing it 123456789ctrl124
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

Quote Originally Posted by Moskvich View Post
    And yet, the entire class system is evidently about to undergo a massive overhaul - one that not all the players are convinced is even needed.
    Classes changes affect everyone. This change does not do anything for people who do not chat. This change does not do much for people that solo. This change does not do much for groupers that use Mumble, Team Speak, Vent because they talk not chat.

No doubt the class changes are approved because it is expected to increase revenue. Turbine going to get rid of their unique trait implementation and go to a skill tree system. Potential customers test driving the game will get:

1) Immediately start getting food pellets in the form of skill points instead of the common current method of wait to 85 to start doing deeds.

2) It works basically the same as Swtor and other games. There is a low learning curve. Happiness because Lotro is similar to other games. Turbine made a lot of changes since F2P launched to bring the game features more in line with products provided by Turbine's peer companies. You want to steal customers from Blizzard. You going to need to make the transition as smooth as possible.

3) There is no depth or richness to the trait system. It is basically a three skill tree system with two levels and the requirement that you make five buys in level 1 before you can buy a legendary.

4) Our characters are too complicated. Too many skills. There are a lot of skills I never use.

5) Our characters tend to be able to do multiple roles with the same build. Turbine has made some changes over the years to try and prevent Hunters from main tanking with a Captain, Lore Master or Burglar for a healer.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.