We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Level a monster

Talking Level a monster

I know at this point in the game's it is basically impossible to implement, but I think it would be cool to have the option of leveling up a monster from 1. There could be monster specific starting zones in angmar, and travel over the misty mountains, until they reach Mirkwood. Monsters would also have their own unique sets of armor, and their own classes. I'd love to play as an Goblin Assassin (burg-type class), an Angmarim Berserker (champ-type class), or even a Wight Deathlord (guard-type class).

If you take the time to read this, let me know what monster/class combo you would play as or what you think!

Yea...No.

Been suggested before, and always a negative response.

1) Turbine is not so hefty on the PvP system as it was a last minute decision - this game is a PvE focused game.

2) By creating a new monster levelling mechanic, it would require an entirely new section of Middle-Earth - probably the equivalent that the free peoples get - to level up in. To create that would require a tremendous amount of developer time that it would not be worth it.

3) Creep players is a very small amount of the population as is, combined with the very small percentage of all players that actually PvP, so the cost benefit analysis of the project would definitely not be worth it.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

*Duplicate post deleted*

More forum problems I guess
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

It has taken more than six years for Turbine to create enough content to get players up to level 85. It's worse if you don't include Angmar, in which case it has taken six years to level from 50 to 85.

Creating the same amount of levels for the creeps is an investment beyond compare. It would mean taking people from normal development, or hiring in people unfamiliar with the game and spending even more time getting them up to speed. Either way, it's a lot of money. And how many people, actually, are going to use it? Those that primarily PvMP are at cap by dint of how the system works. Do you think they'll all delete their characters so they can spend a month or three grinding levels?

The only feasible way of cutting down the required work would be duplicating areas; the result is either two of every region - that have had all of their npc's and quest-lines changed anyway - or having both types of player in one landscape. That's asking for trouble, either by creating open world PvP (Big no-no) or leading to yet more people asking for it, citing their cohabitation as a reason.

As you say it's an idea that would have had to be introduced early in the game. To do it now would be a massive gamble for an unknown reward. Turbine don't strike me as a company willing to take risks like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elithandir View Post
    Creating the same amount of levels for the creeps is an investment beyond compare.
    The only viable way of creating the content is to let the Creeps out of the Moors. The Creeps will do all the current PvE content. You would be able bring a Warg on your next Barrow Downs:Maze run. You could spar with a Creep. You want larger PvP action the Freeps and the Creeps could visit the Moors for PvP battles.

This would never happen because all the costs associated with creating a full class experience for the Creeps. Plus I would imagine that a lot of players would freak out at the idea of a Creep helping Elrond.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The only viable way of creating the content is to let the Creeps out of the Moors. The Creeps will do all the current PvE content. You would be able bring a Warg on your next Barrow Downs:Maze run. You could spar with a Creep. You want larger PvP action the Freeps and the Creeps could visit the Moors for PvP battles.
    Except that I think it's been established that most PvE players in this game don't WANT to go to the Moors, not even if you paid them.

This would never happen because all the costs associated with creating a full class experience for the Creeps. Plus I would imagine that a lot of players would freak out at the idea of a Creep helping Elrond.
    There is a certain level of cognitive dissonance in that idea, yes.

And I don't know if the Creeps would be willing to spend 85 levels helping the good guys. They play on Team Sauron, after all.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

I think its a good idea for starting from lvl 1 and random looks of classes ,aswell as armour sets

Quote Originally Posted by zalladi View Post
    Yea...No.

Been suggested before, and always a negative response.

1) Turbine is not so hefty on the PvP system as it was a last minute decision - this game is a PvE focused game.

2) By creating a new monster levelling mechanic, it would require an entirely new section of Middle-Earth - probably the equivalent that the free peoples get - to level up in. To create that would require a tremendous amount of developer time that it would not be worth it.

3) Creep players is a very small amount of the population as is, combined with the very small percentage of all players that actually PvP, so the cost benefit analysis of the project would definitely not be worth it.
    Well stated; Zalladi; you said what I would've said so now I don't have to.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Basically, this idea would entail writing another complete game, with all that that implies.

The creep characters, as they stand today, are "light weight". There is a huge amount of data associated with freeps because of how they are created, developed and leveled, that is--at present--so much excess baggage for a creep character, so they don't have it. Making a creep leveling system would require fully developed characters. This would also mean heavier server load in the Ettenmoors (read: more lag and/or tighter restrictions on numbers).

So the final analysis is: Not going to happen.

Way too late in the game at this point, take way too many resources needed elsewhere.

Personally, the only way I would be interested in playing a "creep" is if I could be an orc who has had an epiphany about the light and wants to fight against the forces of darkness that enslaved his ancestors (who were elves after all) and thus claim a place in the halls of Mandos. The idea of an orc champion helping a bunch of hobbits and dwarves beat the daylights out of Sambrog has a certain amusement value.