We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4 New Hobby ideas: Zoology, Botany, Archaeology, Music Theory

Right now there is only one hobby available: fishing. I have given it some thought, and have come up with four possible suggestions for new hobbies: Zoology, Botany, Archaeology, and Music Theory.

1. Zoology (Study of Animals):
    Each region can contain subtle wildlife such as squirrels and coneys, and could feature rare creatures that are only found at certain locations. Once a creature is documented, it's picture and info is revealed inside of the book. There will be anywhere from 30-100 different types of creatures to spot in each region.

2. Botany (Study of Plants):
    This is very similar to the Zoology hobby. Each region will contain various kinds of plants to be documented for the book. Depending on the region, there will also be about 30-100 different types of plants in each region to be documented.

3. Archaeology:
    Okay, I know this sounds like it would be the same as the Scholar profession, but this will be more in-depth. It will allow you to go to ruins and study the architectural elements, fossils, old paintings, old books, and other kinds of artifacts. Urns and vases can also be used for this hobby, but it is already associated with the Scholar profession, so I would advise otherwise.

4. Music Theory
    With so many places of interest (inns and whatnot) all across Middle-Earth, you will use a musical instrument of your choice (or sing), have practice sessions before you face the audience, and then perform as a bard. As you travel and stay in the different locations, you may also rehearse with other bards. Tolkien gives many examples in the books of bards, so this is very heavily steeped with lore. He wrote songs, short stories, and poems that his characters performed within the books.

So there you have it, four fresh ideas for new hobbies. I would love to hear any thoughts on these ideas or if you like to add any of your own to the list. Thank you.

I love the zoology and botany ideas! Turbine used to do all kinds of things to encourage people to explore the game world, and I'd love to see that mindset return. +rep to you.

I think they should put in golf, the game is referenced by Tolkien in some book or another I believe. Could you imagine it as a mini game across the rolling green fields of the Shire?

Let's be honest though, I guarantee that WB/Turbine's sunsetting plan for this game is at least in the last half so we will never see anything more than the bare minimum content that they can &&&& out to keep people paying money.

Fireworks making!

That's the hobby I really want to see. Great for those doing it. Fun for everyone else to watch the results. Lots of potential for gatherable things and variety.
    Fight on my dwavern sisters! May the orc blood always wash right out your frilly dresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosiebelle View Post
    Fireworks making!

That's the hobby I really want to see. Great for those doing it. Fun for everyone else to watch the results. Lots of potential for gatherable things and variety.
    Already in game - check scholar recipe lists.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000163bef/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Problem with the scholar crafted fireworks is that to make them you need an ingredient that is only available at some festivals. Thus given you can buy them by the bucketload at other festivals it isn't really worth it.

For a hobby I'm thinking grander fireworks, multicoloured and shaped like things - and always made from things that could be obtained all year round.

Like with fishing you get fish in ponds - well maybe introduce "unusual mineral nodes". These could be mined by everyone and contain a random selection of fireworks ingredients. The higher you level the better chance you have of getting good stuff - like fishing but just with bits of minerals
    Fight on my dwavern sisters! May the orc blood always wash right out your frilly dresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzuki View Post
    Let's be honest though, I guarantee that WB/Turbine's sunsetting plan for this game is at least in the last half so we will never see anything more than the bare minimum content that they can &&&& out to keep people paying money.
    You my be right, but on the other hand they have "Hobby Masters" instead of just "Fishing Masters". I think Turbine plans to add more hobbies eventually. So when they do, I was just thinking of ideas they could do.

They don't sound like hobbies, they sounds like careers! I shoot arrows. That's my thing. It consumes all of my free time. I know enough about zoology to kill stuff with arrows. When I am not shooting arrows I am drunk in a bar, dancing under a waterfall, or sleeping.

Astrology!

Thumbs up

I really like the idea of discovery and exploration that these types of hobbies would create and the use of a journal type record to track it for the first two.

I have suggested gardening as a hobby in another post but with the emphasis on growing native and crossbreeding new varieties of plants. This is more the discovery and study of existing native. It particularly utilises the exploratory nature of the game which is a big part of what an MMO is about.

Love all four ideas!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000190b0d/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Any hobby addition is a good idea. I wouldn't care what it is.

music theory? I don't think it'll be fun for people to learn scales and such

I love the idea of a game with music. tolkian loved music in the world, can read poems and songs in the books and I think the world was made with music beginning... I think

a simple tab comeing in game (like the one you see when holding a ring fighting saruman) with either;

5 buttons for the pentatonic scale in chords.
    can easily make generic chord progressions that are appealing to listen too.
    some kind of sequence system. rememberence game? repeat what was played to you?

7 buttons for each note in the westen scale.
    a note is played by a leader. other players must play a play related chord.
    for example, in C, C-chord goes with D and F. or in numbers. 1 goes with 3 and 5 to make a triad, 2 with 4 and 6, 5 with 7 and 2. can see the simple pattern?

they're ear testing games, how pitch purfect you are. would need to keep it all in one scale, these test can be extremely frustrating.

I'll be the first to say music theory is boreing and work (or is that just me?) but many musicians live by just ear, it's a lot more accessible to the generic person/player

I like all the feedback, especially about the Music Theory hobby. I will expand my idea on it a little more. I was thinking that as you travel in the different areas, you will come across other bards, who will teach you new songs. There could be 10 pre-recorded styles of music, depending on the story. Since it would be pre-recorded, you can sit back and watch yourself sing, and the lyrics/storyline will show in the text line (same as the "/say" command). There could be a freestyle setting, in which you could type out your own story, pick the pre-recorded music style to accompany it, and then watch yourself preform as a bard at the inns and other dwellings set for bards. I could see this becoming very popular for those who like to RP. This way you will see more activity in the various inns spread out across Middle-Earth. I love to RP and I enjoy telling and listening to stories, and I bet this hobby will encourage more players to be creative in writing short stories/poems of their own. It's just a thought, but Turbine would have to brainstorm and expand on that idea somehow, or perhaps they could make it like the ocarina from Zelda: Ocarina of Time. If that is the case, then you will learn sequenced notes and you will have to play them back to the audience.

I love the ideas, keep 'em coming!

zelda style is what I had in mind tbh.

learning sequences/copying them to bards.

don't like the idea of just watching you play :/ would have to be active, at least one button then wait a little time like the dance things.

Re: 4 New Hobby ideas: Zoology, Botany, Archaeology, Music Theory

/signed for Archaeology
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000179c3d/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I like the idea of having a music hobby. Trade copies of music / songs with other bards, level up by playing your instrument or singing. Have an auto pilot and a manual for whichever type of player prefers. A couple slots for customized songs / music will be nice.

Botany, I think, would be better as some gardening hobby. Either at your house if you have one, or a 'public' greenhouse for "those curious about growing things". The greenhouse would be instanced, where it will be only you, though invited party / friends can come to see your pretty, rare flower from a far flung corner of Middle Earth.

I'm not too thrilled about the zoology, though. One hobby suggestion from a while ago suggested a horse breeding / racing hobby. I loved that idea. Breed horses, each with its own racing stats, bid on a winning race horse or race against NPCs / other players for horse hobby rewards.

Archaeology sounds like the (insert profession that examines old vases and texts at ruins) profession. Now, if there were separate nodes for the hobby, maybe it could work. Pick up a bunch of shards and reconstruct, for example, a statue or vase. Or look at depictions or long lost stories and write it down in a book, which either binds to the archaeology hobby or goes to the inventory to be read later. Statues and vases can make nice additions to a house or be sold / traded.

How about juggeling and "market magic" ?
    I always thought that of all things lotro lacked in the "leasure time department", it was mostly the town entertainment part. Musicians are awesome, but that can't be everything.

Wouldn't it be great if you had juggeling-balls that you could use with a little mini game? Image spring fest with two hobbits throwing juggeling cones in cooperation. It shouldn't be a one-click-solution though, but something that can fail if you don't do it right.

Same with card trick magic or something like that. Something that is entertaining for everyone, while not so easily done, so that not everyone tries to do it.
    And maybe these new hobbies could be bound to races or classes. So hobbits do juggeling, men do magic card tricks / bunny out of the hat, while elves could do something like a poetry slam or similar. I could imagine dwarfs to be wonderful stone sculptors.

That beastiary hobby from the original post could be turned into a circus tamer.... Imagine Fire-Puckers, Magicians, Jugglers, tamers... This would fit the scenery very well imho, though such things are not mentioned by tolkien
    Last edited by Singlorin; Jan 21 2013 at 09:21 AM.

4 very good idea's, I've always thought more variety is needed when it comes down to hobbies, there's just not a whole lot of incentive when you've only got 1 option to choose from. Here's to hoping that someone picks up on this! /signed

Wink Re:Hobbie ideas

So i think i have a little more ideas then you, but I like how u think

http://images.lorforum.turbine.com/i...ons/icon12.png
    1:Fireworks(difrent colors,rare forms,and ingredients)
    2:Farming(make a farm in you garden and grow mithycal plants ex:A plant in form of lions,a shiny flower etc)

This is wath i added to your list (:

Hunting/ taxidermy needs to be an option for a hobby. If people have a problem between that and the hunter class then I suggest changing the class name to "Ranger".

I dont want to be the barer of bad news but except mounted combat that has become an important part of the game in their eyes, with increasing the number of store items they can sell, Turbine has shown no interest in expanding the game with minor additions like this. Seems if they dont recognize the potential of profiting you will not be seeing anything like this. For example there is an amazing kinship improvement suggestion with hundreds of comments with positive feedback written over 2 years ago. No response from Turbine.
    While i see every addition to the game, well thought of like this one as a positive thing, i have little faith that it will ever be implemented.
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Hobbies need to be fun, and have some objective. You can really break hobbies into two main classes:

1) Collecting with the objective of showing.
    2) Making with the objective of showing. Making is the same as doing. So Fishing falls into this category to some extent.

Its also possible for a hobby to have the end result of selling, but then its more of a profession (Fisherman).

If The hobby is a making/doing type then their needs to be some level of skill and advancement system. This becomes tricky.

One of the best ideas I've seen posted was gardening. Because the skill is in the arrangement and they success is defined &&& other people coming to look.

Collecting is doable but tends to get destroyed by "How to guides". Although it can still be fun. But as a goal they should be designed so as to make how to guides very difficult to write. For example:

Cloud Watching. Lets say that LOTRO made 50 Cloud shapes. Now lets say they randomly appear in the sky anywhere in Middle Earth. Now lets also say that at any given time there are only 10 visible in the whole world and the moment someone clicks on one they disappear and a new one is spawned randomly somewhere else.

If you see one and click on it then you have collected the shape. Shapes could be dog, cat, dwarf, bow, horse etc.

maybe some are rarer that others.

The same engine works for Bird Watching and almost any other collecting hobby.

You could even have Coin Collecting. Every time you sell something to a vendor there is a chance to get a special coin in return.

The biggest problem for LOTRO is itemization.

Great ideas by the way.
    “[I]It will never work, change always makes things worse, and Turbine doesn’t care about us anyway…[/I].” Eeyore
    “[I]But maybe it will have honey or even something better[/I]!!” -- Pooh

They profit by keeping players interested and entertained. For example, crafting, when I first made my lotro account ( this was my first MMO) I thought it was neat but what got me sucked in was the crafting. I chose metalsmith, I loved going and mining for ore and making my own armor.

Now recently I tried Swtor, crafting is horrific on that game. There just was not enough to keep me interested even though I maxed a few toons I just have no interest in the game. Its little useless but entertaining things like hobbies or the animation of us crafting armor that keeps people busy and more likely to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by andyballs View Post
    They profit by keeping players interested and entertained. For example, crafting, when I first made my lotro account ( this was my first MMO) I thought it was neat but what got me sucked in was the crafting. I chose metalsmith, I loved going and mining for ore and making my own armor.

Now recently I tried Swtor, crafting is horrific on that game. There just was not enough to keep me interested even though I maxed a few toons I just have no interest in the game. Its little useless but entertaining things like hobbies or the animation of us crafting armor that keeps people busy and more likely to spend money.
    I understand why you might feel that way. But they seem ken on providing the bare minimum. Mounted combat has been long discused before the expansion and it was a major new mechanic necessary after a few years. Mining was added long time ago when the game came out. This is a minor addition with no room to profit, from what i see in this proposal. Since Lotro decided to go with microtransactions it is expected. They mostly profit from new expansions, thus having one every year and the microtransaction system. Not much from keeping players interested for a longer course of time in a ftp game. (if you eliminate the 40 days daily grind). Your take on things make much more sense in a subscription based game, not this one. I would prefer this suggestion over a daily after every expansion and update.
    My opinion anyways.
    Last edited by zagreb000; Jun 20 2013 at 11:55 AM.
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    Hobbies need to be fun, and have some objective. You can really break hobbies into two main classes:

1) Collecting with the objective of showing.
    2) Making with the objective of showing. Making is the same as doing. So Fishing falls into this category to some extent.

Its also possible for a hobby to have the end result of selling, but then its more of a profession (Fisherman).

If The hobby is a making/doing type then their needs to be some level of skill and advancement system. This becomes tricky.

One of the best ideas I've seen posted was gardening. Because the skill is in the arrangement and they success is defined &&& other people coming to look.

Collecting is doable but tends to get destroyed by "How to guides". Although it can still be fun. But as a goal they should be designed so as to make how to guides very difficult to write. For example:

Cloud Watching. Lets say that LOTRO made 50 Cloud shapes. Now lets say they randomly appear in the sky anywhere in Middle Earth. Now lets also say that at any given time there are only 10 visible in the whole world and the moment someone clicks on one they disappear and a new one is spawned randomly somewhere else.

If you see one and click on it then you have collected the shape. Shapes could be dog, cat, dwarf, bow, horse etc.

maybe some are rarer that others.

The same engine works for Bird Watching and almost any other collecting hobby.

You could even have Coin Collecting. Every time you sell something to a vendor there is a chance to get a special coin in return.

The biggest problem for LOTRO is itemization.

Great ideas by the way.
    Yup that works the best. Even better if you are able to take existing mechanism/content already in the game such as brewing and pipeweed farming as hobbies which is my suggestion.

Meanwhile I like zoology which can be fun; you either choose to be a conservationist by observing, etc, or a hunter and trap/shoot it, gives you good/evil alignment or both!

And botany is also a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast