We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Changed graphics cards a bit, now game crashes on start

I had a GTX 120 and Radeon 5770 in a Mac Pro, with three monitors (two on the 5770). I got back another 120 I had loaned out, now the side monitors (24" Cinema) each are on their own card, and the Radeon drives the main monitor (Cinema 27"). Now the game crashes on startup. I reinstalled the game (that was fraught with problems), made other monitors the main, tried different servers, etc, no change. Looking at the log I see at the end ...

000000000.000: Initializing display with title 'The Lord of the Rings Online™'...
    000000000.000: /build/lotro/lotro_u11_3/src/engine/client/device/osx/Device_OSX.cpp, 275: called.
    000000000.000: Failed to start up graphics engine.
    000000000.000: /build/lotro/lotro_u11_3/src/engine/client/device/osx/Device_OSX.cpp, 691: called.

Other games (Civ) run just fine (and have a much more professional interface).

Any help?

EDIT:

The one thing I didn't try was rebooting. Oddly, very oddly, doing a reboot fixed the problem. Never seen that on a Mac before ...
    Last edited by Squareelf; Sep 18 2013 at 08:54 AM.

Nope, now it's back again. Crashing on startup with just the same problem. HELLLLP!!!

I do have it down to the fact that LOTRO is upset about the two other monitors. When I unplug them the games plays. Obviously I want to keep the monitors attached.
    Last edited by Squareelf; Sep 18 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squareelf View Post
    Nope, now it's back again. Crashing on startup with just the same problem. HELLLLP!!!

I do have it down to the fact that LOTRO is upset about the two other monitors. When I unplug them the games plays. Obviously I want to keep the monitors attached.
    I believe it's resolved now; I had to reset PRAM. I forgot about that because I haven't had to do that in a long time, but seemingly LOTRO gets access to that in some way on boot up.

I believe it's resolved now; I had to reset PRAM. I forgot about that because I haven't had to do that in a long time, but seemingly LOTRO gets access to that in some way on boot up.
    Not LOTRO -- OSX. When you changed your graphics card, certain parameters about that card need to be stored in PRAM.
    OSX was telling LOTRO you had one type of card, using one set of drivers, which was wrong information.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Not LOTRO -- OSX. When you changed your graphics card, certain parameters about that card need to be stored in PRAM.
    OSX was telling LOTRO you had one type of card, using one set of drivers, which was wrong information.
    No I take that back, it turns out that sometimes doing a reset fixes the problem and other times doesn't. Really what happens is that when doing a reboot it will sometimes magically work. At the moment I'm still stuck, I have to completely unplug that monitor to get it to work

No I take that back, it turns out that sometimes doing a reset fixes the problem and other times doesn't. Really what happens is that when doing a reboot it will sometimes magically work. At the moment I'm still stuck, I have to completely unplug that monitor to get it to work
    Reboot and Shutdown (i.e. unplugging the monitor) do different things.

A power cycle boot performs a host of tests and initializations which a reboot does not do.

Knowing how the basic "plug and play" concept works, it would not surprise me to learn that by powercycling the Monitor (just as power cycling a disk drive) will cause the "initialize and mount" software cycle to take place.

Historically, there was an internal (i.e. on the motherboard) reset also.

Today (I think), the two techniques are Pram reset and SMC reset. One article on resetting the SMC reads...
    http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/24/when-...ontroller-smc/

"You’ve tried rebooting, you’ve reset the PRAM, you’ve done it all, but your Mac is still behaving strangely. What next? In certain circumstances, try resetting your Mac’s System Management Controller (SMC). This is sometimes necessary to restore normal lower level system functionality to your Mac, particularly if you’re having these types of problems:'
    * Video and external displays not working: display brightness functionality not working properly, target video mode isn’t working properly, external display isn’t working, etc"

Looks like that might be your fix.

There is an Apple support article on resetting the SMC ... the technique is different for different Macs.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?v...S&locale=en_US
    Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)