We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: DOT Class

DOT Class

I've really only leveled a Warden, but was thinking of playing another class. Is there a class that can cast a DoT & run at the same time? (much like WoW's warlock) The DoT would have no induction time (insta-cast), and preferably no direction requirements (ie, no message of "You must be facing your target." etc)

Thank you for your time.

We do not have any classes that meet your requirement. Issues:

1) There are very few DOT skills. I do not know of any that do appreciable Damage Over Time. I do not know of any that are fire and movement. They all root you while the skill is executing. The all require you to face the target. Most Damage Over Time skills are more - big initial hit and small DOT.

2) We have two classes that have fire and movement skills. Minstrels and Rune Keepers. I do not remember all the details on Minstrels fire and movement. Usually I play my Minstrel as healer spec in group time. Most of the time I have a spot. Standing on my spot. Often times the spot is not far from the tank in case somebody decides - kill the healer.

Rune Keepers are really good at fire and movement. I believe you face the target when you fire.

I do not see many people doing movement during combat unless they are a melee class. Magic Using (Tactical Classes) and Ranged classes tend to find a spot and defend it.

Note: When you hit level 75 and unlock mounted combat. You will see a lot of fighting and moving on your war horse which makes this particular feature much more mobile than foot combat per 75.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I play a burg and at level 50, I have some DOTs that does some real damage.

The class you're looking for is guard. Guards much like wardens can apply some stackable bleeds when trained right. As I don't have a guard myself I don't know just how many bleeds they can apply at one time, but I think around 6; one of which has a crazy long duration and is the bane of wargs. the only other dot class besides guard and warden is a fire rk, but all skills are gated behind long inductions.

Master of Nature's Fury LMs have some nice DoTs that are AoE too, but they are root, big hit + small ticks of DoT. They are not Fire and forget while moving DoTs.

The biggest shock I had as a LM with MC was that I could kite on the horse.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by kohkohpuffs View Post
    The class you're looking for is guard. Guards much like wardens can apply some stackable bleeds when trained right. As I don't have a guard myself I don't know just how many bleeds they can apply at one time, but I think around 6; one of which has a crazy long duration and is the bane of wargs. the only other dot class besides guard and warden is a fire rk, but all skills are gated behind long inductions.
    Guard bleeds stack to 3, I think. But check out the Guard Dev Diary about what is desired in terms of guard bleeds. Mikey likes that .
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by kohkohpuffs View Post
    Actually for guards its only 2 + 1 if your are lucky (50% chance) + 1 that you can apply but is really weak (around 20 damage per pulse) and upgradable to one of the first 2...
    With the revamp of classes in HD we will be able to stack 10 bleeds.. (dev diary)
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Rainwalker View Post
    I've really only leveled a Warden, but was thinking of playing another class. Is there a class that can cast a DoT & run at the same time? (much like WoW's warlock) The DoT would have no induction time (insta-cast), and preferably no direction requirements (ie, no message of "You must be facing your target." etc)

Thank you for your time.
    To be honest OP you're already playing the class that best fits your needs. Wardens in assailment can instant cast effective DoTs from range on the move, although they require facing (almost all single target damaging skills in the game require facing in LotRO, with some LM skills notable exceptions).

You're other options are RK in fire spec, but that is induction based and so stationary from range.
    Then there's burglar and guardian which have melee DoTs.
    LMs can stack 3 burning embers DoTs late in the game along with wizards fire for ok damage but nothing spectacular.

In terms of sheer number of DoTs wardens are the best while also being close to the highest damage DoTs once geared although RKs may pip them to it. Certainly warden DoTs taken alone are much, much better than the other DoT classes (LOTS better - excluding RKs ofc).
    [color=#DBA901]Lieutenant Belegardo the Veteran, Reaver-Foe, Stalker-Foe, Blackarrow-Foe Rank 10 Warden
    Skuttles, Black Dog, Rank 8 Weaver[/color]

well, atm i think is warden..i like the bleeds but also the kinda Dots that affect multiple enemies ..those fist fearing ones and the morale leeching ftw! lol i play seldom on warden but when i jump to her those are the gamits i play with, since taking 1 foe at the time is not what warden was made for ..lets yake a horde and fear/lech them to death xD .
    yep happens when u play warden as an alt
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

Burglars.

In current design, they have multiple bleed skills, some of which may stack at higher levels, and they do a lot of damage, in fact someone who specifically set up for maximizing bleeds found he output as much damage as mainstream DPS burgs.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

with class updates Guards will be able to stack up to 10 bleeds at once. they're a melee class though so they might not be what you want, but they're gonna be the main bleed class now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

Wow, that's a lot of responses - thanks gang! I really appreciate your input. =o)