We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Does this violate the EULA?

One of the terms of the EULA is that we agree to comply with all laws in connection with the Game Client and the agreement. The old EULA in 2008 prohibited the copying of the printed materials.

Can we view manuals that someone else uploaded on the internet?
    Last edited by robinhood2; Dec 27 2013 at 02:20 AM.

If this is a serious question, then i'd say no... Turbine won't ban players for downloading a manual... I'm pretty sure of that...

a.) how would they know who it was that copied and uploaded it?
    b.) how would they know you opened the link and looked at it?
    c.) if this were a problem for turbine, lotro-wiki wouldn't exist.

If it's no longer in the EULA as a violation then it can't possibly be a violation.

You can't break a rule that doesn't exist.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by robinhood2 View Post
    If I viewed the manual on a webpage doesn't it technically count as copying?
    No. Reading is not copying.

The intent of this part of the EULA to prevent people from making available incorrect versions of the documentation or game client. By this I mean:

1) Versions that are out of date such as the 2008 EULA when the current EULA is the July 17, 2013 version.

2) Versions that were never published by Turbine. Somebody has taken the real July 17, 2013 (or some other version) EULA and modified it. Loaded on a web site.

Turbine wants us to get the current correct game client and documentation from Turbine or one of Turbine's authorized distributors like Steam instead of from a fan site.

Incorrect documentation is not nearly as bad as a game client with a trojan included.

You will not get in trouble from reading this documentation. Turbine will expect you to obey the current EULA. You might get an unpleasant surprise when you run into differences between the 2008 and the July 17, 2013 EULA.

I strongly recommend you read the EULA and the TOS that are stored on your PC with the LOTRO client installation.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

dude stop being paranoid... seriously.

I have never read the EULA or any EULA for any game period. I haven't broken any rules. if I did then turbine would have let me know. if you broke a rule whether on purpose or accident turbine would simply give you a warning which is simply a reminder about the rule. stop worrying about breaking rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Redit View Post
    dude stop being paranoid... seriously.

I have never read the EULA or any EULA for any game period. I haven't broken any rules. if I did then turbine would have let me know. if you broke a rule whether on purpose or accident turbine would simply give you a warning which is simply a reminder about the rule. stop worrying about breaking rules.
    Agreed 100%.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by robinhood2 View Post
    I don't think you understood the question. I have read the current EULA, but I want to know about the part about agreeing to comply with all applicable laws in connection with the Game Client and agreement. I believe the manual is copyrighted with the game even though it's not part of the Game Client so if I violated the copyright of the manual by viewing what someone uploaded (to be able to view stuff on the internet your computer makes a copy otherwise you couldn't view it) would that violate the EULA part about complying with applicable laws in connection with the Game Client?

Or does this clause just mean don't use the Game Client to do illegal things? It mentions export controls laws after. Maybe I have read too much into this. The old EULA from SoA and MoM mention printed materials and prohibit copying them ,but the current EULA doesn't and I think there were defined as part of the game too. Now the game is free and the included manual I don't know if Turbine cares anymore. It appears they are fine with fan vids and sites.
    Relax and enjoy the game.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    [url]http://www.theoldergamers.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Relax and enjoy the game.

Totally true. I have never read the EULA, have looked into various websites pertaining to LOTRO, and have not gotten into trouble once in game. Just don't go lifting up dress hems on dwarves, you might get a surprise!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]