We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is the hunter a good solo pve class in lotro?

Is the hunter a good solo pve class in lord of the rings online?

Yes, it is one of 9 good classes for solo play as PVE is very easy in LOTRO.
    Inter faex et urina nascitur sumus

It's not as solo-friendly as a champion (Another DPS class, but which uses heavy armour and a lot of AOEs, so a bit better survivability). If it's a huge concern for you, roll up a champ. But all classes in the game are soloable if you take the time to learn all the skills.

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    I had no problem at all taking a hunter all the way to level 85 100% solo as my second character.

The first character being a champion that I got bored with and stopped playing at level 35.

I liked Hunter and leveled mine very far. It is even better if you take the time to get a few of the goodies that they can use (tomes, enchants, fire-oil and such).

I played my hunter for a long time before taking my break and it's great. The only times where things got iffy were in areas that naturally diminish the range that you can fight at, caves etc...

Yeah, Hunters are great solo PvE characters, I've been playing one since beta all those years ago.

Of course that's the way it is today, who knows what will be unleashed upon us with the Helm's Deep changes.

Yes and no.

It's very good from 1 to say, 50.

At 50 or so, the game starts getting weird. Most of your stats come from gear, and the amount of morale in mobs starts going way up, and if you don't have raid gear (which I don't), mobs start having more morale than you do (especially in the case of squishier classes, like the hunter).

Here hunters start to be not so great. Rather than dropping a guy before he gets to you (thus often allowing you to fight more than one mob at once), they get to you with maybe half their health, which means you have to rely more and more on controlling the other mobs from getting to you.

And so it goes more like a DPS class to a crowd control class, which is doable, but a lot less easy and IMHO fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidm8249 View Post
    Is the hunter a good solo pve class in lord of the rings online?
    I'm curious. Are you ever going to participate in this forum or are you just going to continue to ask and re-ask the same questions?
    Save your tears / For the day / When our pain is far behind.
    On your feet / Come with me / We are soldiers stand or die.

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    Yes and no.

It's very good from 1 to say, 50.

At 50 or so, the game starts getting weird. Most of your stats come from gear, and the amount of morale in mobs starts going way up, and if you don't have raid gear (which I don't), mobs start having more morale than you do (especially in the case of squishier classes, like the hunter).

Here hunters start to be not so great. Rather than dropping a guy before he gets to you (thus often allowing you to fight more than one mob at once), they get to you with maybe half their health, which means you have to rely more and more on controlling the other mobs from getting to you.

And so it goes more like a DPS class to a crowd control class, which is doable, but a lot less easy and IMHO fun.
    That is also a good point. I may be alone in this, but I always thought that the hunter was lacking the damage needed to live up to its namesake or even its expectations.

Using crowd control is very much a factor to success in the later levels.

I'm with the majority: hunter is very easy to play and to level all the way up. Crowd control makes up for the squishiness when it would otherwise be getting difficult. If you like ranged combat, I heartily recommend it.

It'll be interesting to see whether the New Revised Hunter will still be easy... we'll know starting Nov 18. My guess is that it'll be a "yes".
    Tuco of the Quick Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pounamu View Post
    I'm curious. Are you ever going to participate in this forum or are you just going to continue to ask and re-ask the same questions?
    Ah, interesting. I clicked on the OP to see his threads. Oh, dear.
    Tuco of the Quick Post

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    I had no problem at all taking a hunter all the way to level 85 100% solo as my second character.

The first character being a champion that I got bored with and stopped playing at level 35.
    Yeah, I don't know if you saw my sig, but I have three hunters on Landroval alone. Hunter is definitely my class. But when I hear people talking about solo-ability, I immediately think maybe they're an "action RPG" type, a hack-and-slash player who wants to just burn through things and not take much damage. Hunters, contrary to popular belief, do take skill to play well, and especially at later levels, survivability can get tricky in some areas.

But having checked out the other threads the OP posted, I dunno. hehe.