We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SOOOOOOOooooooOOOoo Confused.

...This isn't a raiding game or a pvp game. Why do people expect it to be?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

it can be. different strokes for different folks.....

Sure, the primary content of the game is PvE, but there are PvP and Raiding elements too. From what I've seen, people don't 'expect' the game to be strictly PvP or Raid, they just want the content that Turbine/WB has put into the game and fits those categories to be kept up and better maintained- which is perfectly reasonable, considering the the PvP and Raid content are pretty much things that you need to actually pay for. It's lousy customer service to sell people something and then give them a sub-par product.

I'm primarily a PvE type person- PvP can get a little too competitive for my tastes and it can be annoying to run raids with people who don't want to work with the rest of the group. But I also want to see the PvP and Raid content kept up and updated now and then, as they can be fun to dabble in. They break up the monotony of the Kill X number of Y quests and talking to Computer AIs.
    [IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/10hncxh.jpg[/IMG]
    [COLOR="#8B4513"][MY ALTS] [B]Balvur[/B] warden/ [b]Hallti[/b] guardian/ [b]Hila[/b] burglar/ [b]Elenauriel[/b] runekeeper/ [b]Dolmifaynar[/b] minstrel [/COLOR]
    I speak my mind because it [COLOR="#B22222"][i]hurts[/i][/COLOR] to bite my tongue

Quote Originally Posted by Temrhyn View Post
    Sure, the primary content of the game is PvE, but there are PvP and Raiding elements too. From what I've seen, people don't 'expect' the game to be strictly PvP or Raid, they just want the content that Turbine/WB has put into the game and fits those categories to be kept up and better maintained- which is perfectly reasonable, considering the the PvP and Raid content are pretty much things that you need to actually pay for. It's lousy customer service to sell people something and then give them a sub-par product.

I'm primarily a PvE type person- PvP can get a little too competitive for my tastes and it can be annoying to run raids with people who don't want to work with the rest of the group. But I also want to see the PvP and Raid content kept up and updated now and then, as they can be fun to dabble in. They break up the monotony of the Kill X number of Y quests and talking to Computer AIs.
    Great answer =)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

Temrhyn sumarized it all. Totally agree.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? : http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/...ps38sxzbsq.png
    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

This game is fun, fun, fun and then some...that's all that matters.

One answer is: there are tens and tens of MMOGs available with PvP. This game isn't one of them.

This game stays true to the spirit of the lore and in the lore, free peoples didn't fight each other. There is no Horde/Alliance in Middleearth.

Since the programmers are not spending time and effort on the (often never-ending) issues that PVP brings (like "balance") they can spend that tie an effort on making a better PVE game.

Personally I am very happy to be in a game with no PVP. The endless changes that went on in other games I've played (oh, no, my druid can't compete in PVP with a summoner - nerf summoners!) just annoyed me.
    Save your tears / For the day / When our pain is far behind.
    On your feet / Come with me / We are soldiers stand or die.

It's kind of like when people get married and one spouse is determined to "remake" the other spouse into the first spouse's ideal, instead of accepting what they got and learning to live with that person.

Such efforts rarely succeed and often drive the parties apart.

LotRO is, fundamentally, a PvE game. Some people like what's here but want to change to game to be a raiding game or a PvP game. Even if those efforts were to be successful, they wouldn't like the results, since those results would likely be shut down servers.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    It's kind of like when people get married and one spouse is determined to "remake" the other spouse into the first spouse's ideal, instead of accepting what they got and learning to live with that person.

Such efforts rarely succeed and often drive the parties apart.

LotRO is, fundamentally, a PvE game. Some people like what's here but want to change to game to be a raiding game or a PvP game. Even if those efforts were to be successful, they wouldn't like the results, since those results would likely be shut down servers.
    So LotRO launched without PvP and has never had a raiding community then eh?

Yes LotRO is PvE focused, but there's no reason to undermine the players of other areas of the game.
    [color=#DBA901]Lieutenant Belegardo the Veteran, Reaver-Foe, Stalker-Foe, Blackarrow-Foe Rank 10 Warden
    Skuttles, Black Dog, Rank 8 Weaver[/color]

Since when does PvE not include raiding?

The game was founded on fellowships, how is 2 fellowships working together require some big stretch of intentions? Better yet, how many skills do we have that effect entire raids, instead of your own fellowship?

It seems like a game designed around fellowships of 6 PvEing together in middle earth takes less of a jump in promoting raids made up of 2 fellowships of 6, than one that promotes solo players.
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

I only expect the "group content" of the game match with what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by OruiFarimur View Post
    MMO's are complicated games, whereas if you take out one feature of a game then there will be other parts of the game affected. You could say that Lotro is a very solo-friendly game, but it is still an MMO. Personally, I also only "dabble" in some areas of the game and mostly do PvE, however if the features that I only "dabble" in were to be removed then I'm sure it would have some sort of negative affects on PvE. The driving force for me to make a captain alt and play through the PvE content was for PvP/raiding reasons... I'm sure I wouldn't have had the desire to replay PvE content that I've already done on my main toon if it weren't for these reasons.

Games like CoD could probably do without the single player campaign and get by just fine, because the PvP and PvE are so completely different from eachother. But FPS's are way different than MMO's.

Did this game, upon official launch, have raiding in it?

Did it have grouping and Fellowships?

Who are you to say what this game isn't?
    I've spent hundreds of hours raiding in this game, so how is it (or was it) not a raiding game?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000051f86/01003/signature.png]Elo[/charsig]
    [I][COLOR=green]'I have come,' he said. 'But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!'[/COLOR][/I] Frodo, turning to the dark side

Quote Originally Posted by Pounamu View Post
    One answer is: there are tens and tens of MMOGs available with PvP. This game isn't one of them.

This game stays true to the spirit of the lore and in the lore, free peoples didn't fight each other. There is no Horde/Alliance in Middleearth.

Since the programmers are not spending time and effort on the (often never-ending) issues that PVP brings (like "balance") they can spend that tie an effort on making a better PVE game.

Personally I am very happy to be in a game with no PVP. The endless changes that went on in other games I've played (oh, no, my druid can't compete in PVP with a summoner - nerf summoners!) just annoyed me.

Winner! <agrees with Pounamu 100%>

I'm very happy to be without PVP also. Less whining about class balance, the better.

You're acting as if there isn't any pvp in this game at all..there is. Ettenmoors, freeps vs creeps.

Quote Originally Posted by toadriver View Post
    Who are you to say what this game isn't?
    I've spent hundreds of hours raiding in this game, so how is it (or was it) not a raiding game?
    In order to be a raiding game it would have to be raiding centric..I've spent probably dozens of hours RPing. that doesn't make it a rp game now does it? This game is very diverse and has a little of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBoo View Post
    Did this game, upon official launch, have raiding in it?

Did it have grouping and Fellowships?
    Yes, LotRO launched with group-required quests, as you know.

Turbine got a lot of feedback and did a great deal of "data mining" about that. The result of the feedback and data mining was (1) the Epic Quest line was made soloable, and (2) the relative proportion of group-required to solo material was shifted towards more solo material.

You're acting as if there isn't any pvp in this game at all..there is. Ettenmoors, freeps vs creeps.
    PvMP, not exactly PvP. You play as powerful heroes vs glorified NPCs controlled by other players. It's only PvP in the sense that you fight against a person, but you do not fight against a 'normal' playable character.
    It's kind of like having the other guy controlling a Shire Slug NPC, it's still PvP to a certain degree, but not really.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

My Home is the Moors, roaming around .....
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    PvMP, not exactly PvP. You play as powerful heroes vs glorified NPCs controlled by other players. It's only PvP in the sense that you fight against a person, but you do not fight against a 'normal' playable character.
    It's kind of like having the other guy controlling a Shire Slug NPC, it's still PvP to a certain degree, but not really.
    ^^ Has to be the best ever description of how it feels to be a creep player
    [CENTER]BiteMarks
    ~ the names Marks .... BiteMarks ~
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    Rank up, get good then come back and tell me creeps can't compete :P

Also for a non raid game lotro sure has a LOT of instanced and world space open for 12 man+ groups. Clusters, boss lairs, skirmishes, the moors etc.
    And why is the best gear a reward for raiding or raid sized groups even now?
    [color=#DBA901]Lieutenant Belegardo the Veteran, Reaver-Foe, Stalker-Foe, Blackarrow-Foe Rank 10 Warden
    Skuttles, Black Dog, Rank 8 Weaver[/color]

Trolling or provoking much? ..if there is difference..

What I mean is that there are no situations where Champions fight Lore-masters or Wardens fight Hunters. Because of that, there is no need to "balance" the PvE classes, like there is in other games.
    Save your tears / For the day / When our pain is far behind.
    On your feet / Come with me / We are soldiers stand or die.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bels_illuminati View Post
    So LotRO launched without PvP
    What do you call the Ettenmoors?

never had a raiding community then eh?
    Yes... That's why we have tons of raids and group content.
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    What I mean is that there are no situations where Champions fight Lore-masters or Wardens fight Hunters.
    Obviously, it breaks the lore.

Free Peoples never fought against each other, it was always Free Peoples vs Sauron.
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast