We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What Happened to "Festival" Tokens?

It may be just me but I remember that quite a while ago Turbine announced that they were consolidating currency and one part of this was that were would have just one generic "Festival" token that could be earned and redeemed at all the different festivals.

I personally thought this was a great idea. So what happened? Why are we back to the old system of having different tokens for each event? Especially now-a-days when there is an ever increasing amount of festivals around.

Can we please bring back the all-rounder festival tokens?

If we had generic festival tokens that worked for all festivals then we could use the tokens we earned in the Faire to buy things at the Harvestmath or Yule Festivals.
    I for one know that due to the Bounder's Bounty there are loads of people doing the Farmer's Faire (I think poor Imladris nearly had a heart attack when more than ten people were logged on at one time) and everyone is doing it for the bags of Bounder's Tokens and therefore have loads and loads of unused faire tokens which will probably sit in their barter wallets until next year and probably won't even be used then...

Also on a side note, I still have a load of these generic festival tokens in my wallet that can't be used at any festival, which is a bit of a letdown, having useless currency.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003e4fd/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I don't think that token consolidation idea is that great.

I understand that it is kind of cumbersome and pointless to have 101 different tokens in your inventory which you don't know what to do with.

But if we consolidate it, then why not to do the next logical step and not to convert any token into silver/gold/platinum and have the same goods selection at every vendor? That makes everything very easy. No need to search for vendor or look into wallet... just kill a couple of (hundreds) random orcs while doing epic quest and can buy everything you want. No, I don't like this idea.

Actually I find it positive that I have a slight push to go to the next festival just to see what they have, what I can buy and which new quests or errands should I do to get it.

The only negative thing about it in my opinion, is used storage space (which can be solved with premium wallet).

I too (as I suspect many players do) have several of the generic "Festival Tokens" sitting in my Barter Wallet (yes it's premium) and they are now useless because there is no call for them at any of the Festivals.

I'd just like to see Turbine continue with the Festival tokens as they are now. A specific token for each Festival (Spring, Summer, Harvestmath, Farmers Faire, etc) and put in a means whereby we can trade in the Generic Festival tokens for the specific Festival tokens.

Gets the useless generic tokens out of our Wallets and allows us to get something in return for our previously invested time in earning those tokens.
    [IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OOGLYqiRemk/U2TxWOwnO6I/AAAAAAAACSE/bk3MyjILFJ0/w350-h120-no/LOTRO+Forums+Sig.jpg[/IMG]

Fat, Fuzzy, & Disabled............life doesn't get any better!
    Kinship: Roxxi Manor

I believe the generic Festival Tokens were used during the Yule festival, and only tokens from previous Yule festivals were converted into the generic Festival tokens.
    Since then nothing has happened so all the other festivals and the corresponding tokens work just like they always have.

Why they didn't go through with the plans for converting all the different festival tokens into generic Festival Tokens is unknown.
    Perhaps the developer responsible for that quit, or perhaps they decided it wasn't a good idea after all, or perhaps some other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by evguenil View Post
    ... just kill a couple of (hundreds) random orcs while doing epic quest and can buy everything you want...(which can be solved with premium wallet).
    You dont get festival token by killing orcs or any kind of mob on any of the festivals. Also i will like to see all festival tokens consolidated. I can come up short of specific festival tokens on some alts at the end of the festival. while i look sadly at the stack of generic tokens. Consolidation will not stop doing the festival quest. There are still not enought generic tokens saved & i want to get all deeds done.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Sep 11 2013 at 08:28 AM.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

You never know, they may decide to convert those tokens into Mithril Coins. It may take a while but the last time they consolidated some items the old ones got converted into Mithril Coins.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    You dont get festival token by killing orcs or any kind of mob on any of the festivals.
    Of course you not. And that's exactly my point! Developers want us to stay as long with LOTRO as possible. One of the possible ways to prolong player activities are festivals. Few people will visit festival if there's completely nothing to gain. Developers need to lure us by introducing something new or something that people want to have. That's pretty simple. A separate currency is used to make sure that you VISIT the festival if you want that fancy cosmetic hat or horse or anything else that festival has on stock.

You answer sounds like: no,no,no, I don't want to visit each festival, l just want to have access to all festival goods without spending any more of my time.
    Do you think it is going to be accepted by developers? I don't think so.

I'm on the side of developers.

So far we only got these tokens for the Yule festival I think.

And they can't be bartered for at the representatives of the inn leauge or the ale association.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm-Winterwolf View Post
    It may be just me but I remember that quite a while ago Turbine announced that they were consolidating currency and one part of this was that were would have just one generic "Festival" token that could be earned and redeemed at all the different festivals.
    Correct. They announced that they would be going to silver and gold universal Tokens starting with the Yule Festival in 2012. Immediately gave up on the idea because none of the festivals in 2013 were converted.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

When they announced the unified festival currency, my immediate thought was "How will they handle Farmers Faire tokens?" They drop at a much higher rate than other festival tokens. Either they would have to nerf the Faire, boost all festival drop rates (and prices too no doubt), or leave the Faire out of the unification. Apparently they chose #4, give up on the whole thing.

One problem with unification is that if I earn a ton of fest tokens during festival A, I can cash them in for whatever I want during festival B and C without having to do any of those festival quests, which doesn't encourage us to visit. The alternative is to have festival tokens expire after each festival... I recall a dev log somewhere that they had planned for the golden fest tokens to expire but changed their mind after complaints.

Also, please just make the tokens account bound lol, and while you are at it, how about all those silver branches and such from Lothlorien? By the time you earn enough to buy gear you have outleveled it, but your alts can use it.

there needs to be a way to do something with these tokens, I still have anniversary tokens in my game wallet

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler5150 View Post
    there needs to be a way to do something with these tokens, I still have anniversary tokens in my game wallet
    Unless they change something between now and then, you should be able to use those at next years anniversary festival.

Well my guess is that the changes to winter festival weren't all too well received so they dropped the whole idea, alternatively they didn't have the resources to convert the other festivals.
    Nothing here matters.