We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Killing a Boogan somm'ers, 'cause they remind me of Bogarts.

Hobby Suggestions: Bird Watching and Butterfly Collecting

Two Hobby suggestions.

Bird Watching. Rare birds spawn at random locations and times. Limited time for the spawn. Several differing ones in each zone. Players must target and do a /look or some such skill to register the sighting for the deed. Rewards could be titles and housing items like the fishing trophies. Maybe a painting or a bird on a limb.

Butterfly catching. Same as above, but with Butterflies. Players must catch with a net.

How about it? What do you guys think?
    ****Bogarts! We hates Bogarts!****

I am fully in favor of any and all additions to the hobby category. Bird-watching is a great idea, and it encourages exploration of the landscape at the same time.

Here's a thought: there are already non-aggressive landscape critters occasionally running around (rabbits, arctic foxes, snakes, Moria crickets etc, all with 1-point morale). Perhaps there can be a hobby involving them, thus expanding bird watching to something like 'regional wildlife spotting' or whatnot. Thus less cost to develop a new hobby, since these harmless critters are already in game. Emoting at them in various ways to fulfill hobby requirements can be a lot of fun!

A hobby increases immersion in the game, and as the game environment is becoming more casual-friendly, I think this is a good time to propose more hobbies being added. More options for things to do involving character development that does NOT depend on level criteria = more folks spending more time in Middle Earth, be they level 8 or 85. Fun for all, with potential to encourage more RP and socializing.
    Éala Éarendel engla beorhtast / ofer middangeard monnum sended / and sodfasta sunnan leoma, / tohrt ofer tunglas þu tida gehvane / of sylfum þe symle inlihtes.

Thumbs up

I absolutely love your idea!!!!

I would love to see more hobbies in game! I think these two ideas are great! Maybe even add rock collecting..because...well...m y hobbit might want a pet rock and seeing how she can't be a runekeeper ;(
    Poppyetta, Officer [url=http://kights.guildlaunch.com/]Knights Who Say Ni[/url]
    "I am not fond of the idea of my shrubberies being always approachable" --Jane Austin, Persuasion

currently playing SWTOR sith-side on the Jedi Covenant server. Feel free to say hello! @Poppyetta

Interesting. You should add your suggestions here, too: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...y-Music-Theory

Love these two ideas for hobbies!

Something crafty or arty that we can make and put in our homes would be nice, let's just see what they have planned for player houses first. But sculpture, paintings, decorations!
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."
    Officer in the Elders kinship - http://www.theelders.org.uk/
    We have left the wandering spark (Gilrain) to find the Song of Gold (Laurelin)...

Quote Originally Posted by Poppyetta View Post
    Maybe even add rock collecting
    I like this idea too, it has a potential to involve regions that have limited wildlife, and gives yet another incentive to return to those desolate rocky areas. It can even involve some non-instanced dungeons, seeing as they're underground and open up many possibilities for would-be geologists

Housing decorations yielded by rock collecting hobby can include small/large displays of geodes and even glowing crystal lamps for indoor or outdoor hooks (like the Moria crystal lamps - many sizes and patterns are already in-game to copy the template from!)
    Éala Éarendel engla beorhtast / ofer middangeard monnum sended / and sodfasta sunnan leoma, / tohrt ofer tunglas þu tida gehvane / of sylfum þe symle inlihtes.

Collections are great hobbies in my opinion. Birds sighting is something I'd really like (my elf huntress is based on the bluetit). Butterflies and various insects, rocks, and also old artifacts (an amateur archeologist).

I'm not too fond of the stuffed bird idea however, we have enough dead trophies. I think a cosmetic bird companion would be a great idea for the achievement.

I love the idea of more hobbies. All of the abovementioned ideas would give people a reason to explore the landscape. And if you were to create more housing items for hobbies this would tie in to more hooks or freeform placement.