We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Female Dwarf?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto_the_First View Post
    There's a dwarf in Thorin's Gate that occasionally mentions that his wife is back home, braiding her beard. I think he's up in Frerin's Court.
    No, he's in Noglond. I've seen him too.

And Tolkien plainly says that Dwarf women look so much like their menfolk that no member of another race can tell them apart.

Which means, beards.

And as said upthread, if you want to play a Dwarf woman, do so. You can either tell your closest friends and kinmates you're female, or keep it a secret from
    everybody, and when someone refers to you as "he," you just smile quietly to yourself.

I did that for a while; unfortunately, my lady Dwarf was a Rune-keeper, and I *could not* play that class. I was getting killed by everything in sight. If I was set
    for fighting, I couldn't kill the little bitty goblins fast enough to keep them from killing me. If it was set for healing, I couldn't keep myself healed fast enough
    to keep them from killing me. I finally remade her as a Captain, and she's doing nicely, thanks.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Well I think that the dwarf race is fine because what differences would there be heck even in the movie and also in the book it states that it is hard to tell a female dwarf from a male dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexendynamus View Post
    I am inclined to support game recognition of dwarf gender.
    I suspect Turbine would be too, if it weren't so much work for so little return. They never said it violated the lore to have any adventuring dwarf females. Cost vs return was their original reason for excluding it and just letting people roleplay as they will, and I can't see how that dynamic has changed in the 7 years since. However, perhaps it has... they unfortunately have no way to measure it.

Perhaps it could be put on a player survey. "Do you have a dwarf character?" and "Do you play that character as a male or female dwarf?" could be two among many questions asked. It's about time they did another big one of those, IMO. The last one I know about is now at least 3 years in the rear view mirror.

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuma View Post
    The character creation screen is just fine. If you want a female dwarf, roleplay as one.

. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`
    Worlds biggest emote!

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Wrong answer.
    Why are you asking if you won't accept the answer you get? Just to give a flame bait? That's considered trolling.

Oh, btw ... have you seen female elves from Mirkwood around? I did.
    As Tolkien expert you should know they never leave Mirkwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Zepherzaper View Post
    Well I think that the dwarf race is fine because what differences would there be heck even in the movie and also in the book it states that it is hard to tell a female dwarf from a male dwarf.
    The dwarf in question should be able to tell the difference without having to immagine things.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    Well real roleplayers turn off names and titels anyways :P. I bet the inevitable dwarf in a dress with a flower in the hair is a bit harder to blink out(Ok ok we have those already).
    I wasn't talking about "real" roleplayers (a real roleplayer could ignore a female title above the head of another dwarf), but about all those who want to roleplay "a little", the "real" roleplayers are a vast minority, even on the RP servers. What is roleplay and what not - there have been endless discussions in another forum, people fighting over 20 pages.
    I have to ask you: What would be the big harm if we had female dwarven titles? Like you said: real roleplayers don't use/read titles and the others don't see things so straight. If those who are so obsessed with the lore don't roleplay (by reading others names and titles), what are they concerned about?

Quote Originally Posted by Vexendynamus View Post
    Thank you both for the direct quotes!

"usually kept them concealed"
    "seldom traveled in the outside world"
    "usually mistaken for a male"
    "except at great need"
    That reminds me a lot of what I read about Hobbits.

Really, we should not be able to play dwarves at all if we want to be lore conform, there are hardly any left, most are dead - or female elves from Mirkwood.

Lotro is not lore conform, no game ever is. If we want to keep a world alive, we have to extend the lore. After all Tolkien wrote stories, books. He never intended to be the founder of a religion.
    Last edited by Neumi; Sep 22 2013 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Why are you asking if you won't accept the answer you get? Just to give a flame bait? That's considered trolling.
    Obvious rhetorical question should have been obvious, as it even had an 'eye-rolling' smiley tacked on the end.

Oh, btw ... have you seen female elves from Mirkwood around? I did.
    As Tolkien expert you should know they never leave Mirkwood.
    As 'Tolkien expert' I know that might have had some 'zing' to it if you'd said Lorien rather than Mirkwood.

That reminds me a lot of what I read about Hobbits.
    Not really, it's more proscriptive than for hobbits. No tales of female Dwarves going off on adventures with Gandalf, that's for sure.

Lotro is not lore conform, no game ever is. If we want to keep a world alive, we have to extend the lore. After all Tolkien wrote stories, books. He never intended to be the founder of a religion.
    No, we most certainly do not always have to extend lore 'to keep a world alive', because female Dwarves effectively played no part in the outside world. They're not part of the tales, so they're not necessary to a game based on those tales either.

As 'Tolkien expert' I know that might have had some 'zing' to it if you'd said Lorien rather than Mirkwood.
    Since I don'w know, what 'having some zing' means, I can't really answer to that. But if at all I would have said Lothlorien rather than Lorien.
    Should your statement imply that you do know about the lore breaking?

Not really, it's more proscriptive than for hobbits. No tales of female Dwarves going off on adventures with Gandalf, that's for sure.
    You can't tell what reminds me of what, so save the "not really".
    Gandalf was not part of the quotes, so I can agree on this point. Then again I also don't know about any female Hobbits going off on adventures with Gandalf.
    Those quotes do sound a lot like what is said about Hobbits - except for the third quote.

They're not part of the tales, so they're not necessary to a game based on those tales either.
    There are no tales about dwarven women staying at home, still you seem quite certain that they do so.
    Are there tales about female Hobbits going on adventures? (I really don't know)
    Last edited by Neumi; Sep 23 2013 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Since I don'w know, what 'having some zing' means, I can't really answer to that. But if at all I would have said Lothlorien rather than Lorien.
    Should your statement imply that you do know about the lore breaking?
    Being a clever remark, that sort of thing. Yes, you should take it that I know about it, because I do. But so what? Two wrongs don't make a right, just because one thing is wrong that doesn't make it okay to keep getting things wrong.

And why say Lothlorien rather than Lorien? Same place.

You can't tell what reminds me of what, so save the "not really".
    Gandalf was not part of the quotes, so I can agree on this point. Then again I also don't know about any female Hobbits going off on adventures with Gandalf.
    Those quotes do sound a lot like what is said about Hobbits - except for the third quote.
    The point is that female Dwarves were, by all accounts, even more stay-at-home than hobbits. Yes, hobbit girls had been known to have gone off on adventures with Gandalf, there''s a throwaway line in The Hobbit that says so.

There are no tales about dwarven women staying at home, still you seem quite certain that they do so.
    Are there tales about female Hobbits going on adventures? (I really don't know)
    Tolkien said that they did, hence the certainty. They seldom went out at all without unless there were some dire need to. And again, yes, female hobbits could be adventurous - Bilbo's mother, Belladonna Took, was one such.

But so what?
    Easy: I don't see you complain about it, that was the whole point.

I fail to understand why some players have the freedom to chose and others don't, those others are supposed to "role play".
    And most of them do then so by over acting and wearing pink dresses rather than just being able to say "My char is female".

Anyway, what does "having some zing" mean? Is it somthing positive or negative? I am not so familiar with such expressions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4