We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Guardian Dev Diary

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/article...E2%80%99s-deep

The Guardian's development diary is out, and quite frankly I am quite intrigued from what I see. The idea of focusing damage around stacking bleeds sounds nice, and so does fortification. I am a little curious how the Fighter of Shadow three will work out, but all in all I think it's all a step in the right direction.

Since i think the conversation will move here eventually ill just copy my post, because my interest is so high in these changes....

I find these changes amazingly positive.. If one thing is clear Guardians will no longer be a "basic" class... And i find that thrilling..

Two things for me are still an unknown... Threat management and the "fighter of shadow" tree...
    How will we deal with threat? And the specifics of the last tree are still a mystery...

The changes to keen blade, especially the choice between bleeds and higher dps sound really good.. The choices you make will distinct the good guards from the bad pretty easily not only in this tree..
    In the defender of the free i need more threat talk to be honest but the buff approach and yet more choices (damn i love choices ) are quite interesting...

After more then 3 years of neglect and that godawful guard dev this is a breath of fresh air...

Ofc we cant be sure how well all this will work on release date but simply the approach, instead of just rehashing the same old, show me the enthusiasm of our new dev... I find that reassuring..

"survivability-based playstyle to compensate for the future ease of threat management" I think we really need more clarification on this.. .. Thats the only problem i have with the diary..

Don't worry about threat anymore, just worry about dpsing while you tank. I guess some people will like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimbleGrumble View Post
    Don't worry about threat anymore, just worry about dpsing while you tank. I guess some people will like that.
    You brought some sarcasm with you

Dps seems to be important only when off-tanking.... I find that ok

Quote Originally Posted by zagreb000 View Post
    You brought some sarcasm with you

Dps seems to be important only when off-tanking.... I find that ok
    As far as I can tell, 2 of our 3 lines are now dps oriented. Our former threat line is now active mitigation line. Oh, sure, we'll still have LoD and maybe even Shield-Taunt, but it certainly sounds like we are going to be more focused on debuffing and active mitigation than generating threat. You have already said you're ok with this, but I'm not.

As far as I can tell, 2 of our 3 lines are now dps oriented. Our former threat line is now active mitigation line. Oh, sure, we'll still have LoD and maybe even Shield-Taunt, but it certainly sounds like we are going to be more focused on debuffing and active mitigation than generating threat. You have already said you're ok with this, but I'm not.
    No, i actually said, more then a few times, that we need more clarification on threat management.. While i say we need more info you seem to be already sure about it... Only one line is Dps oriented while the other is half and half.... Dev clearly states that....

same thing?

Just wondering about the "marks" that were mentioned. Any idea if those are going to be similar in any fashion to the Captain's marks?
    Tamoro Quickfoot, esq. Gentleman Farmer/Cook/Brewer. Treasure-hunter (semi-retired) and Husband of the lovely Tearna

Lonely Mountain Band/Quickfoot Estates - Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Grindl View Post
    Just wondering about the "marks" that were mentioned. Any idea if those are going to be similar in any fashion to the Captain's marks?
    No, it's similar to the burglar's trick. Trick is a debuff mark that when you remove trick by some skills, you can get self-heal, stun, or other effect. Althought I dont think the guard mark have debuff effect.

Quote Originally Posted by bohbashum View Post
    same thing?
    Really? You think dps=threat for a Guardian?

Really? You think dps=threat for a Guardian?
    Dps contributes to threat, but only in a linear fashion. Taunts are much more effective.

I would like to pm our guardian developer but don't know how. can someone enlighten me please?

I have a sneaking suspicion our dev never understood that one of the base designs of this game was that dps could take threat whenever it wanted to. That's been fundamental to all classes since before beta. Me thinks soon one can derp/faceroll keyboard in even the most "challenging" of group content, if it still exits after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendin View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion our dev never understood that one of the base designs of this game was that dps could take threat whenever it wanted to. That's been fundamental to all classes since before beta. Me thinks soon one can derp/faceroll keyboard in even the most "challenging" of group content, if it still exits after this.
    I think you've taken my still-churning thoughts on the matter and put them to words. I group with a spectacular hunter. We know each-other's nuances. I can always hold aggro from him, because he's playing smart. If I happen to lose a peel, assuming it's not the boss I'll just let him take it because I know it will be dead in seconds (and normally it's planned). If he decided to pull out all the stops at the beginning of a fight, and Engage/CtD were on cooldown, I'd have trouble picking everything back up. It's one of the best parts of tanking in this game - the fact that I always have to be working at it, not just sitting there hitting Ward.

I personally don't care about DPS. Overpower was fun in PvMP and when running 3-man instances (prior to the Rohan changes, of course), but I'd much rather be a solid wall than a damage powerhouse. And now it looks like we're going to lose some effectiveness in the FoS line?

I don't know if it's uncommon or not, but I tend to run 4 yellow / 3 blue when I'm tanking. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if something like that is still viable, even if I have to change up the lines I trait in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendin View Post

Except that this isn't really true either and hasn't been for a long time in the game. Only when the game first came out was this mostly true. But even now, a tank that knows that they're doing can hold agro over any DPS, except in the most extreme situations.