We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Guardian LI weapons options

I am getting ready to head into Moria and get my first LI's. I am a little confused about the differences between the many different options on a weapon. I obviously understand the difference between the one handed and two handed options, but then the difference between the one handed sword, one handed mace, one handed axe, spear, dagger and so on. I always run with a one handed weapon and shield, because I have built this guard with the the sole purpose of tanking 3/6 man instances and hopefully eventually some raids. Is there one of the weapons that is better suited for my purpose than others?

swords give a 1% parry bonus, so that is normally the recommended weapon for guards because of the reactive skills (dps or tanking)

for reference:
    clubs lower attack speed
    maces lower movement speed
    axes reduce armour
    hammers lower evasion
    daggers give a +1% crit chance for all auto-attacks
    spears have a 1% chance to cause a small bleed

as far as one-hand or two-hand goes, that's entirely up to you. one-handed is obviously with a shield, and two-handed is without. for tanking purposes, you'll definitely want a one-hand + shield (sword and board), but that will change soon with helms deep when we get a two-handed tanking line, so you'll have options.
    for dps, you already have the option of going sword and board or using a two-hander. the former gives a bit more defense and utility (extra stuns with bash, etc.) while the latter does a bit more dps

Thank you for your help. It's a big change from my main (LM) and there seems to be so many more options on gear, weapons, etc. It gets a little overwhelming at times.

The norm seems to be sword yes, for most people. Myself I go for the axe, it looks epic, especially the lv 85 FA one, and you also get to mess up your enemies armour, meaning not only do you do more damage to them, your fellows [if you are in a fellowship] kill enemies faster.
    Ordgaric. Level 100 Guardian. Saelrein. Level 100 hunter. Nimraloth. Level 100 Captain. Leofwyne. Level 100 Warden. Others. Feandor. Lv 85 Champion. Doradonna. Level 82 Minstrel. Serabrand. Level 63 Burgler. Glothren. Level 63 Runekeeper. Lythgier. Level 50 beorning. Malvadan. Level 44 Loremaster.