We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Guards and evade

My husband and I are strolling through Moria on my guard and his RK. I've been traiting blues and yellows rather than OP because my level capped toons are all dps or support and tanking is new and fun for me. My question to the guards out there is how does evade help me? (I'm thinking about Guardian's pledge specifically.) If it takes a block or a parry to open my shield or sword chains, doesn't an evasion just decrease my chances of triggering my shield chain? I'd rather have the chain open than evade a hit since guards are so sturdy.... even when I do pull a whole room ..and with a pocket healer. Does it become important later on in raids? Along the same lines, I didn't think tactical hits could be evaded, only mitigated or resisted.

Thanks in advance for advice.

it used to be like that. but they changed it (like back in SoA) so blocks and parry will go first and if it doesn't block or parry then evade goes. but if they attack you from behind your able to evade not block or parry.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000dc09a/01004/signature.png]Gilla[/charsig]
    You Do Realize That Everyone Thinks That You Are The Worst Minnie To Ever Grace The Moors. - SpiderGod
    Oh yea!

Evasion doesn't decrease your chance to block or parry. These three stats are additive and are checked at the same time. Let's say a guard has 20% block, 20% parry and 10% evade. In a simplified way we could picture the hit-check roll like this:

1 to 20 - blocked
    21 to 40 - parried
    41 to 50 - evaded
    51 to 100 - hit

If said guard increases his evasion to 20%, his chance to block or parry will not change. The table will look like this:

1 to 20 - blocked
    21 to 40 - parried
    41 to 60 - evaded
    61 to 100 - hit

Quite the opposite - at higher levels evasion actually increases the block / parry chance, due to the way finesse works. One could briefly explain it this way: finesse is divided proportionally between avoidances. The higher the evasion, the bigger the portion of finesse that affects it, therefore the portions of finesse that affect block and parry get smaller.

I consider evasion a crucial stat and run a high-evasion build (ca 8k unbuffed) in turns with high-crit build, depending on the situation.

I've never invested in it, preferring block and parry.
    Note that all heavy shields have an inherent -2% evade rating.
    I think its more dependant on your preffered mode of play, i prefer building resists/crit defense/ mits/self-heals over avoidances, though i do try to invest in some might for higher block rating.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyuuuu View Post
    it used to be like that. but they changed it (like back in SoA) so blocks and parry will go first and if it doesn't block or parry then evade goes. but if they attack you from behind your able to evade not block or parry.
    first part is wrong, as Hlifhrim explained these three stats are independant because checked at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Hlifhrim View Post
    Evasion doesn't decrease your chance to block or parry. These three stats are additive and are checked at the same time. Let's say a guard has 20% block, 20% parry and 10% evade. In a simplified way we could picture the hit-check roll like this:

1 to 20 - blocked
    21 to 40 - parried
    41 to 50 - evaded
    51 to 100 - hit

If said guard increases his evasion to 20%, his chance to block or parry will not change. The table will look like this:

1 to 20 - blocked
    21 to 40 - parried
    41 to 60 - evaded
    61 to 100 - hit

Quite the opposite - at higher levels evasion actually increases the block / parry chance, due to the way finesse works. One could briefly explain it this way: finesse is divided proportionally between avoidances. The higher the evasion, the bigger the portion of finesse that affects it, therefore the portions of finesse that affect block and parry get smaller.

I consider evasion a crucial stat and run a high-evasion build (ca 8k unbuffed) in turns with high-crit build, depending on the situation.
    I totaly agree, in addition to this i can say that bloq and pary are realy easy to cap in raid, so you can increase your evade without reducing parry or bloq and so decrease incoming damage. one of the most efficient way to increase evade is to gain some agi and slot some evade relics:

unbuff

in raid (with a 2nd guard):

PS: I realy think that evade is important but since you can almost cap the three stats simultaneously there is no real debate here.
    Last edited by falosi; Sep 19 2013 at 02:10 PM.

what instance drops the shield? is it sammy?
    Lightinthedarkness - 115 warden, Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by obi-wan-kenobi View Post
    Erebor raids and dale drop the gold shield

for me I go for this:
    1. Block
    2. Parry
    3. Evade

block opens up your biggest threat responses so you'd want that. Parry I want high for whirling since it's a decent aggro-leech (not the best out there, but best what we got and if you can use it a few times really helps). Make sure as a guard you're Always facing the mobs since in your back you can only evade.

Tactical indeed ignores all bpe and only mits count. Guard is actually quite difficult to balance since you want tact/phys mit capped, high crit defense, good pool of finesse and max Block, in addation you want parry and evade as high as you can. For me if block is maxed, but I want parry also up in the 10ks before I start stacking evade. Not to worry though, evade is actually harder to come by then block/parry. Also depends what you are going to do, because instances you wont have much problems at all with max block and a lower parry/evade. However, for erebor they can hit hard due to mechanics so all maxed would be ideal. So also look at what you're going to do. If it's multiple mobs then Parry is imo a must and cannot be lower then 8/9k since you'd want whirling. But it's all a very personal thing though, guards is one of the classes where you can actually balance it around to your likings
    And look at Falosi's build, however I'm thinking thats erebor build? since block there isn't a biggy for threat (although I prefer lit/taunt there tbh) and it seems a bit low? However, thats a build he went for, personally I would go for more block/parry. But all have their own likings

Quote Originally Posted by obi-wan-kenobi View Post
    erebor, smaug, flight and the Bells of Dale instance. It's not very epic, it's good. Not a must imo but thats the case with all the goldies. Crafted is pretty decent or the r10 one from the moors (r10 is easy to get nowadays anywayz so most already are).

Quote Originally Posted by Aineas. View Post
    And look at Falosi's build, however I'm thinking thats erebor build? since block there isn't a biggy for threat (although I prefer lit/taunt there tbh) and it seems a bit low? However, thats a build he went for, personally I would go for more block/parry. But all have their own likings
    block and pary cap at 13442 rating, so i'm just 400 under the cap for bloq and 100 for pary wich is around 0.4% bloq and 0.1% parry. More block or pary (enough to reach the cap) will reduce evade at least by 0.5% so i prefer to stay just below the cap.