We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hunter questions

Do I really need 2 hand weapons?
    I'm thinking of RPing a Hunter who carries only 1 sword apart from a bow, is that a big disadvantage?
    If so then there doesn't seem to be much flexibility to the class in regards to what weapons he/she carries.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by EderofRohan; Sep 17 2013 at 06:16 AM.

You don't NEED two melee weapons, but naturally having only one is going to cut your melee damage down quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by EderofRohan View Post
    I'm thinking of RPing a Hunter who carries only 1 sword apart from a bow, is that a big disadvantage?
    If so then there doesn't seem to be much flexibility to the class in regards to what weapons he/she carries.

Thanks in advance
    Perhaps use a knife/dagger size second weapon and think of it as a Forestry tool (albeit in use for attacks...)

After 20 you get a passive to utilize spears, perhaps a decent option.

Happy hunting!

Currently, a hunter's melee weapons are more important as 'buff sticks' than as damage dealers.

The stats, etc, are more important than the dps.

The same can be said of a hunter's melee skills, the 'secondary' effects are more important than the dps.

This is not to say that a hunter's melee dps is worthless, just overshadowed by the ranged dps.

That said, we don't know how things will be after the revamp.

1 Twinfall Path, Celos-en-Nauth, Falathlorn
    I use my bow, naturally, then a one-handed sword as my main hand and a dagger as my secondary hand. It works very well thus far. If you do not like two weapons, consider a two-handed sword, although they do less damage than a sword and dagger combined. Plus if its looks you are worried about, then I wouldn't worry. I basically only see my sword hanging on my left hip, the dagger is barely visible in or out of combat.
    Night is falling,
    So ends this day.
    The Road is now calling
    And I must away.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryniell View Post
    If you do not like two weapons, consider a two-handed sword, although they do less damage than a sword and dagger combined.
    Hunters cannot equip any weapons that are 2-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by EderofRohan View Post
    Yes, there isn't much flexibility in this regard. Equipping two weapons is part of the balance of the hunter's baseline performance.

I would suggest you get a dagger as an offhand, it's the least visible of the hand weapons available.

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    After 20 you get a passive to utilize spears, perhaps a decent option.
    This^^. A spear is strung to your back together with the bow. This looks quite good as you only have one sword/dagger etc hanging on your side. Spear is probably the worst weapon to carry for grouping, but normally you should avoid melee anyway so it's really not a big issue. I would not recommend to skip the second weapon. It is a very good stat-booster even if you never hit anything with it

On a side note: The dev who decided that one of the best cyan weapons for a hunter at 85 should be a big ugly club sure must have had a couple of dwarf-ales to much before coming up with this idea

Regards
    /T

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    Hi

This^^. A spear is strung to your back together with the bow. This looks quite good as you only have one sword/dagger etc hanging on your side. Spear is probably the worst weapon to carry for grouping, but normally you should avoid melee anyway so it's really not a big issue. I would not recommend to skip the second weapon. It is a very good stat-booster even if you never hit anything with it

On a side note: The dev who decided that one of the best cyan weapons for a hunter at 85 should be a big ugly club sure must have had a couple of dwarf-ales to much before coming up with this idea

Regards
    /T
    (there's also the elusive hunter dagger with light type damage *drools*)

I quite like the look of a spear too, especially the lootbox style which is super serrated, looks awesome.

I like axes and spears cosmetically as my main hand for my hunter. Now if we were talking burgs, anyone who uses something but daggers should be sacked.

Have you tried your hunter with two daggers? That seems pretty believable to me lorewise. My elven huntress carries two daggers and a bow rather than a crossbow. I assume she has the daggers for skinning/eviscerating. Visually, a lot of the other mele weapons look too clunky for me, especially on a female elf. I realise once she's a higher level there probably won't be much choice - but while I can, I prefer the bow with two daggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiona View Post
    Visually, a lot of the other mele weapons look too clunky for me, especially on a female elf. I realise once she's a higher level there probably won't be much choice - but while I can, I prefer the bow with two daggers.
    At higher levels (especially cap) is when you have the most choice in weapons. You can have any Legendary Weapon crafted that you like and they all have the same ratings.

Can my abilities reload faster?For example if i will use swift shot then can reload faster to shot it again and again?

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyJimmys View Post
    Can my abilities reload faster?For example if i will use swift shot then can reload faster to shot it again and again?
    Certain armor sets reduces cool time of swift bow. The upgraded version of Penetrating shot allows you to use it again and again without cooldown. Using scourging blow allows you to pop a barb arrow with no induction. Many examples!

Totally agreed. My hunter ran a few weeks' worth of Ost Elendil to get the cyan dagger, just so she could get rid of that giant ugly thing. It looks like a half-eaten Renaissance Faire turkey leg on steroids.
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhloth View Post
    Totally agreed. My hunter ran a few weeks' worth of Ost Elendil to get the cyan dagger, just so she could get rid of that giant ugly thing. It looks like a half-eaten Renaissance Faire turkey leg on steroids.
    Lol, that is exactly how it looks! and therefore it is what it should be called: 'Sambrogs half-eaten Renaissance turkeyleg on steroids club'.
    I will demand a change in the suggestion-forum asap

Congratz on getting the dagger btw!

To the OP: whatever you like is fine actually. Your time, your money = Your game! Play it however you like. If you sooner or later want to fill a dps-spot in more difficult content people may expect you to do your best to maximize damage on a hunter. (Aka use weapons etc which gives you really good dps) But if you just like to stroll around, quest, smell the roses and have a nice journey through middle-earth then you can without trouble get away with having a bunch of flowers equipped in your offhand. (Which would be pretty cool btw if it is possible)

Regards and have fun!
    /T

Lol, that is exactly how it looks! and therefore it is what it should be called: 'Sambrogs half-eaten Renaissance turkeyleg on steroids club'.
    I will demand a change in the suggestion-forum asap

Congratz on getting the dagger btw!
    Haha, thanks! And the name change is a fabulous idea. Really, I think if Sambrog would eat his food rather than just drop it when all those random adventurers come in, he might be less grumpy all the time.
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

Shouldn't we just allow the forester axe or the woodworker saw to be wielded as a weapon ... It saves inventory space too!

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhloth View Post
    It looks like a half-eaten Renaissance Faire turkey leg on steroids.
    LOL

Alot of the lower level weapons including LIs look AWESOME. End game weapons look so stupid more often than not. Have you seen the Moors LM staff? No wonder they dont run out of power... It has a built in solar panel....

get away with having a bunch of flowers equipped in your offhand. (Which would be pretty cool btw if it is possible)

/T
    You can! Theres these mainhand/offhand [Giant Flower] you can dual wield, they are prob taller than my elf toon lol

Quote Originally Posted by Patriotp3a View Post
    Have you seen the Moors LM staff? No wonder they dont run out of power... It has a built in solar panel....
    Made my day.

Hunter melee weapons are for stats. You do use melee when you have to for various reasons...parry buff, an extra AOE for landscape mobs, daze/corruption removal, extra focus and such. As was mentioned it is nice that you can pick any type of weapon that you can equip as it is mostly a backup. I like spear for the legendary...just seems right, the offhand always goes to whatever has the best stats.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000042262/signature.png]Korova[/charsig]