We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Is the guardian a good solo class at pve in lotro?

    Is the guardian a good solo class at pve in lord of the rings online?

  2. #2
    Yes, with a 2H weapon and overpower stance. You'll find the combat a bit slow with a 1h + shield soloing, but that method will keep you alive in tougher fights when needed. But the class changes will shake everything up, so who knows what to expect in two months.

    Goreamir - 100 Cap | Jinwe - 88 Hnt | Celebourne - 90 Champ | Humblefoot - 75 Min | Dorfus - 74 Grd | Creonath - 55 Wdn | Stormcraban - 35 LM | Whippit - 35 Brg | Thangadir - 33 RK | Bucksexton - 24 Bng

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidm8249 View Post
    Is the guardian a good solo class at pve in lord of the rings online?
    Well, "good" is going to be a personal, subjective thing. I have leveled 4 different classes to cap including a Guardian, with a 5th class up to level 60. That's a lot of PvE soloing on very different classes.

    As the class stands right now (changes coming when Helm's Deep launches, which I don't know enough to comment on) the Guardian's Overpower stance makes a Guard do fine as a solo-er. OP is a damage-dealing stance for which you trade off threat generation (most OP Guards ditch their shields an go with a two-handed weapon too, so you lose some armor, block, etc.). Switching to might gear to increase DPS will also lower your morale pool, and Guardians still have lousy self-healing capability. But they make up for it with mitigation and morale, and OP Guards are tough enough to handle PvE content just fine.

    That said, OP Guards still dispatch bad guys slower than many other classes in my experience. If by “good solo class” you mean kill lots of stuff really quick, then I’d say you have better options than a Guardian. But if you simply mean “can they handle themselves well in PvE solo” then the answer is yes. I play my Guard for tanking group runs, so having OP while leveling was nice just to make it go faster. But I personally wouldn’t pick a Guardian as a main solo class. YMMV.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    389
    I vote for the Warden. You have the survivability of the Guardian combined with the DPS of a Champ and let's not forget the healing of a Minstrel thrown in for good measure....is there really any other choice?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    27
    I personally think that it's more how you use your class than what class you have. I play a Lore-Master and I've never had trouble with solo PVE. However, for a new player I'd recommend an easier class such as Guardian, just so that you can learn the combat mechanics a bit.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    I vote for the Warden. You have the survivability of the Guardian combined with the DPS of a Champ and let's not forget the healing of a Minstrel thrown in for good measure....is there really any other choice?
    Warden is too complicated to play with the gambits. Rather play my Guardian.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,025
    Well pve encompasses soloing and group content.. When it comes to group content the most important thing is your preferred play style and i cant help you there.
    If wer talking about soloing then any and all classes are good at it.. Open world content is extremely easy to beat so a guardian with a 2h weapon would do good... But then again if we were to compare guardians to other classes in this case, like wardens, rks, champs, hunters, LMs and even minis a guardian does fall short.... Any of these other classes do better and complete content faster due to higher survivability or/and dps....

    You wont have any problem with a guardian, dont get me wrong, but almost every class is better at solo pve then a guard with the exception of burgs and captains....

    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    I vote for the Warden. You have the survivability of the Guardian combined with the DPS of a Champ and let's not forget the healing of a Minstrel thrown in for good measure....is there really any other choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post


    This is mostly correct except for the "dps of a champ"... Wardens are the god mode class of this game... There is some difficulty in learning the class but any half competent player wont have any trouble with that...
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]


    [COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

  8. #8
    My main is a Guardian. While I'm only level 56, I've taken him through most epic content solo. I have no issues with skirmishes either. Overpower is nice for making the fights go faster. If you feel like you're getting into trouble, you can switch to sword and board pretty easily (at least for now). I especially like helping out other players: just wandering around and seeing someone in trouble with multiple mobs, I can use a single power, draw aggro, and help them survive the fight. It feels really good. Obviously other classes can do this, too. But, it's part and parcel of what a Guardian is about.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,409
    All classes are soloable as long you are decently geared & with virtues pair to your level. All you have to do is learn well what your skills do & identify those self heals & always bring potions. The guard will be in great advantage to solo because use heavy armour since lower levels. Also, guards are simply not squishy. Forget your shield when soloing, you will not need it, & get a 2-hand weapon for more dammage.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    872
    Define "good"?

    I have two@85, one elf, one dwarf, and I run both in OP with a sword & shield. I really enjoy playing them and have more fun than i do playing my champion, who is quicker at killing enemies, but can't smack a troll/orc/goblin in the mouth with a shield, which never gets old, for me.

    Other people will prefer the champ's speed and AoE goodness, hence "define good", everyone has their own likes & dislikes.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    The guard will be in great advantage to solo because use heavy armour since lower levels. Also, guards are simply not squishy. Forget your shield when soloing, you will not need it, & get a 2-hand weapon for more dammage.
    Heavy armor is no longer considered as a "great advantage" to the guard... Most other classes have more survivability (yes hard to believe but true) due to having bubbles and self heals... Then you have your range Dps classes where survivability is completely bypassed and unimportant since they kill mobs before they hit them...
    And then when you are in OP with a 2 hander you cant block, your mitigations are cut down by 30%, armor cut by 30% and your 2 lackluster self heals are cut by 2/3....
    In OP while wielding a 2h weapon we are quite squishy compared to all other classes...
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]


    [COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

  12. #12
    Guardians...Lacking in survivability? So what class is doing all the tanking over there on Imladris, Hunters? Are your Guardians only "ok" in group content because of the healers?

    Guardians and Wardens(and Champs to a lesser degree) are absolute head and shoulders above every other class on the "Survivability" scale. They were designed to be.

    There is nothing really that bad about leveling a Guardian in OP or in Sword & Board mode. What these guys aren't telling you is that Guards(and Wardens) can walk into situations that noone else can. Got some red quests? Enjoy that extra XP, and enjoy leveling up just fine.

    Play a Guardian if you actually want to be the tank in group content. If you just want to be a standard melee class, you want to roll a Champ.

    And for the record, although Wardens really are as awesome as everyone claims regarding survivability and DPS, they are definitely the hardest class to play. The vast majority of people will attest to that because their huge list of gambits isn't very easy to remember for most people. There's always some guy that shoots back with "Nuh-uh! Wardens are easy!", but that's a minority opinion. If you actually are one of those people that can reliably remember all of those moves, more power to you!

    The sea is calling us home...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    Guardians...Lacking in survivability? So what class is doing all the tanking over there on Imladris, Hunters? Are your Guardians only "ok" in group content because of the healers?

    Guardians and Wardens(and Champs to a lesser degree) are absolute head and shoulders above every other class on the "Survivability" scale. They were designed to be.
    See thats the problem with not reading what ive said... Lacking in survivability in comparison (thats the whole point!) ..The topic im discussing is pve solo survivability.. read post one... Its not true guards are on top of the survivability scale.. I explained why... While a guard can take most damage before dying while standing still doing nothing then any other class, that actually isnt a good measurement of class survivability... The problem is that any warden, champ, mini, LM would outlive me if they used their bubbles and heals... Thats suvivability. On our own we are not even close to other classes especially in OP... I bet a LM, mini in war, champ could stand to be hit for at least double the time while using power regen skills....

    "They were designed to be"... This is true... And then magically with the class limited revamps guards no longer were... While wardens went god mode...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    There is nothing really that bad about leveling a Guardian in OP or in Sword & Board mode. What these guys aren't telling you is that Guards(and Wardens) can walk into situations that noone else can. Got some red quests? Enjoy that extra XP, and enjoy leveling up just fine.
    Again you are not reading what i wrote..

    Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    "Nuh-uh! Wardens are easy!", but that's a minority opinion. If you actually are one of those people that can reliably remember all of those moves, more power to you!
    Any class in this game is easy to learn.. Nothing hard about wardens.. The thing is that they are the hardest to learn in comparison.. Do you not understand the difference??
    Last edited by zagreb000; Sep 16 2013 at 07:42 PM.
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]


    [COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

  14. #14
    It's nearly impossible to die as a guardian in solo play.
    (Then again, Game this day is so easy, it's almost impossible to die for every class.)

    But it's just soooooooooo nerve wracking slow in it's solo play.
    (Yes, even with a 2H in all out Overpower.)

    A guardian is a shield, a shield for a fellowship. During group play the group is your DPS. The Guardian isn't.

    During Solo play the low DPS of a Guardian is, in my opinion, such a hamstring...

    It's possible it ruins the fun for you.

    It did for me, hence I parked the Guardian.
    Withywindle: Hargorin, 85 GRD; Tharwil, 53 CHMP and a whole lot more offspring

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Aisolon View Post

    But it's just soooooooooo nerve wracking slow in it's solo play.
    (Yes, even with a 2H in all out Overpower.)
    I think we can be fairly fast while leveling with a 2h if you have your food buff on at all times between fights.. But then again before every expansion i did have the best raid gear so i cant say really how it would be from lvl 1to max.... What does bother me a little is the fact our crits tend to be low... But then again we are primarily tanks...

    (yes i hijacked this thread )
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]


    [COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

  16. #16
    I think a lot of people exaggerate the relative difference in Guardian DPS as though it's some colossal handicap. I'm just not seeing it. It's like a difference of 3-4 seconds max. Perhaps we can debate whether those few seconds really are that huge of a deal or not, but I feel the difference is quite negligible.

    Quote Originally Posted by zagreb000 View Post
    See thats the problem with not reading what ive said... Lacking in survivability in comparison (thats the whole point!) ..The topic im discussing is pve solo survivability.. read post one... Its not true guards are on top of the survivability scale.. I explained why... While a guard can take most damage before dying while standing still doing nothing then any other class, that actually isnt a good measurement of class survivability... The problem is that any warden, champ, mini, LM would outlive me if they used their bubbles and heals... Thats suvivability. On our own we are not even close to other classes especially in OP... I bet a LM, mini in war, champ could stand to be hit for at least double the time while using power regen skills....

    "They were designed to be"... This is true... And then magically with the class limited revamps guards no longer were... While wardens went god mode...



    Again you are not reading what i wrote..
    Zagreb, I understand what you were saying. I am, however, disagreeing with what you are saying.

    Your complaint seems to be that Guardians lack "Oh $4!7" buttons like bubbles, etc. Here at level 56, I already have a few such skills on my toolbars and my self-heals are sufficing just fine for the times that I actually need them. My Guardian has breezed through a few situations that were absolute hell for my Hunter main. Check the "Ready For Anything" section here: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Guardian. No bubbles, but plenty of "Oh $4!7" buttons- including a number of self-heals.


    Quote Originally Posted by zagreb000 View Post
    Any class in this game is easy to learn.. Nothing hard about wardens.. The thing is that they are the hardest to learn in comparison.. Do you not understand the difference??
    No. I am asserting that Wardens are, in fact, hard to learn- whether one's metric is to compare them to every other class in LotRO or by comparing them to literally nothing else in the known universe. I've played a lot of MMOs, and only one other class was ever as "hard" for me as the Warden.* Wardens are tough to learn and master. Period. If you truly feel that that is not the case, then the best rebuttal really is "Learn to play, noob". I won't even argue with it.


    *Warshades in the now-defunct City of Heroes.

    The sea is calling us home...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    18,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidm8249 View Post
    Is the guardian a good solo class at pve in lord of the rings online?
    Yes! I have one guard at 85 and others at various levels. They are very good at soloing.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    62
    As people have said, Guard is great, run solo with overpower stance and a 2 handed weapon. Then when you run into those groups of elites that always aggro together, you might find having a shield and 1 hand sword in your bags an excellent benefit. Then switch stance to guard and slowly grind them down.

    Have fun
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001dd81c/signature.png]Elistirne[/charsig]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    It's like a difference of 3-4 seconds max. Perhaps we can debate whether those few seconds really are that huge of a deal or not, but I feel the difference is quite negligible. .
    What 3-4 seconds? DPS does not mean what you think it means.. Its a value of its self.. You are talking here about time it takes to kill a mob... "average rate of damage inflicted over time" and not "time it takes to kill a mob"... And it is not negligible... Try to accumulate that over a longer period of time. If it lets say takes 10 seconds to kill a mob, 3-4 sec are 30%-40%... Thats quite high in my book



    Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    Zagreb, I understand what you were saying. I am, however, disagreeing with what you are saying.
    I prefer Aragonis.... So you are disagreeing with what i have said about guard survivability.. Well then tell me where i was wrong.. Are you disagreeing that the classes i listed would outlive me in those situations? Proving the state of our survivability...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    Your complaint seems to be that Guardians lack "Oh $4!7" buttons like bubbles, etc. Here at level 56, I already have a few such skills on my toolbars and my self-heals are sufficing just fine for the times that I actually need them. My Guardian has breezed through a few situations that were absolute hell for my Hunter main. Check the "Ready For Anything" section here: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Guardian. No bubbles, but plenty of "Oh $4!7" buttons- including a number of self-heals.
    How are self-heals oh-#### skills.. Its part of a rotation... Yes Hunters are squishier. Good choice.. Now address champs, minis, LMs, wardens.. Nothing? Oh ok.. The link you put down is misleading and quite old if i may say... Is "ready for anything" really your argument? Im sticking with "in comparison".. Are you really trying to compare guard self heals with self heals of other classes? Dont make me laugh...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    No. I am asserting that Wardens are, in fact, hard to learn- whether one's metric is to compare them to every other class in LotRO or by comparing them to literally nothing else in the known universe. I've played a lot of MMOs, and only one other class was ever as "hard" for me as the Warden.* Wardens are tough to learn and master. Period. If you truly feel that that is not the case, then the best rebuttal really is "Learn to play, noob". I won't even argue with it.
    Is that the best rebuttal you can think of? How bout this...

    Its quite a big difference to what you compare it.. Humongous difference, if i may say... MMOs in general are meant to be fun and there is no room for anything you would call "hard"...And wer talking basic gameplay here like learning to play a class.... You can say hard in comparison to another class, or to classes in other games but in comparison to "everything else in the known universe" its really, and i mean really really easy... memorizing a few dozen gambits? Cmon ... Didnt a teacher in primary school ever have you memorize a text or a poem... Damn, to this day i remember at least half of a half page long text in latin.. Few gambits, really?!....
    Last edited by zagreb000; Sep 16 2013 at 09:35 PM.
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]


    [COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

  20. #20
    As a sword and board Guardian since Open Beta, yes, Guardian is a great solo PvE class. You won't do as much damage as some other classes, but you can take more damage before relying on self heals, potions, etc. At times it can be slow going because of the dps, but that is why many run in overpower stance with a two handed weapon. I myself run in overpower with a sword and shield and it's lots of fun. I do good damage and have good survivability (the shield damage crits are very nice). Most of the skills are straightforward, you don't have to figure out when/where to use them.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    Guardians and Wardens(and Champs to a lesser degree) are absolute head and shoulders above every other class on the "Survivability" scale.
    But Champs have now (since U10) a lot more survivability than Guardians (I have both classes)
    I can solo most of 6-Man instances, 3-Man T2C and even some skraids (easiest ones like Necro or Amon-Sul) with my Champ, that I cannot do with my Guardian. (the main difference is the self-healing (and of course too low DPS))

  22. #22
    At this point, I'm curious to see what the OP decided to do and how they feel about their decision.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    Guardians...Lacking in survivability? So what class is doing all the tanking over there on Imladris, Hunters? Are your Guardians only "ok" in group content because of the healers?
    Behind every great Guardian there is a team of healers propping them up.

    Yes, in team events Gaurdians are great - but that is because they are part of a team and do a defined job reasonably well (assuming the wetware knows what they are doing). So yes, without the healers the Guard is kind of useless.

    Alone in the field, however, the choice for a Guardian is either painfully slow killing, but not too much chance of death, or OP + 2H and quicker killing but significantly increased chance of death due to (a) poor mitigation when not using a Sword + Board, (b) laughably poor self-heal abilities.

    Not withstanding the somewhat surprising comments about the "complexity" of Warden play (I must have missed the complex part somehow - I find them easy and logical) the difference between a Warden solo and a Guardian solo is night and day.

    However, as everyone else has said : YMMV

    Play what you like, learn different classes, appreciate their strengths and weaknesses and exploit or minimise them respectively.
    < This signature for rent, payable in TP to offset the cost of the new Pay2Win culture. >

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidm8249 View Post
    Is the guardian a good solo class at pve in lord of the rings online?
    Its the player behind the character that makes it easy, not the class.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload