We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

HELP please!! How the heck do I get to Imlad Balchorth alive??

I am on a hunter quest "Implements of the Hunt" in which I am supposed to go to Imlad Balchorth in Angmar and kill wraiths to get putrid fingernails (lovely!)... ok, so I go to Angmar, even buy the territory, but find it is impossible to physically get to Imlad Balchorth at all! There are road that appear to lead past it... these take me to areas that I doubt a literal army could get through let alone one lone hunter (tried everything from full scale fight to run like heck to sneak and reduce threat), not to mention that even should I make it past the hordes (I almost managed once or twice) I hit areas that kill instantly and there are no alternate routes. I have tried to be independent about this, but.... HELP!!! I've offroaded it too, only, again, to find impossible, unpassable barriers, mainly areas that kill on contact. Getting very frustrated. What am I missing??

Have you talked to Corunir and finished book 6 yet? If not, you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer58 View Post
    Have you talked to Corunir and finished book 6 yet? If not, you need to.
    Ok... Who is Corunir? In Epic Vol 1 Book 6 I am on Chapter 1 Of Golodir and Angmar. Does that mean I need to pursue that quest line before I can proceed with the hunter quest line? Although this character is my most advanced (just turned lvl 50) I am a relative newbie to the game (1 yr). I do not fully get the Epic quest lines. Haven't been pursuing them a lot. Should I stop other things and do that? Do I need to finish them sequentially? Right now I am on Book 2 Chapter 10, Book 3 chapter 1, Book 4 chapter 2... don't appear to have book 5... adn then book 6 chapter 1. Have I screwed this up? Arggg. (I am also relatively new to gaming... fell in love with the Elder Scrolls after becoming disabled in a car accident and have been really loving LOTRO, but feeling like I may not be up to the higher levels... )

Nah, you shouldn't worry so much (:

In order to get to Eastern Angmar (which includes Imlad Balchorth), you need to finish vol 1 book 6 ch 6.

You don't need to do the Epic quest chains, but it's a very good storyline and fun to do, especially if you do them in order. Book 5 is linked to book 4, so it's correct that you haven't found that one yet.
    Books 1-7 of volume 1 are loosely linked together in a continuous storyline (Angmar's threat). Books 8-15 are about finishing up that storyline all over Eriador, all those are linked and you have to finish them in order.

When you reach lvl 50 (earlier, even), you can start on Volume II, which will essentially take you through Moria.

Once again - you don't have to do them, but they're part of the best storylines in LotRO, so I really advice you to do them (:

OK Thank you Faratalath (and also Geezer58). Going back and doing them... I can see why not to leave it and I won't for other characters as the prologue quests are very much too easy for this character now... will focus on doing them at level appropriate points in future, I guess. Thanks again..

Quote Originally Posted by SilivrenMeril View Post
    OK Thank you Faratalath (and also Geezer58). Going back and doing them... I can see why not to leave it and I won't for other characters as the prologue quests are very much too easy for this character now... will focus on doing them at level appropriate points in future, I guess. Thanks again..
    Just to clarify Angmar, there is a line of statues that kill instantly any level player, even lvl 100, unless they have done that particular epic quest. There are routes through that bypass the worst of the mobs, but not until you do the epic quest. Keep in mind that you don't actually have to kill the wraiths to get the fingernails, they are available at skirmish camps in exchange for marks so if you want to skip Angmar until you are a little higher level you can still advance your hunter quests.

Just to be absolutely clear...

You only need to do Vol I Book 6 of the epic. You can start this in Aughaire with Corunir regardless of whether or not you have completed any previous Epics.

The final quest of Vol I Book 6 grants you the ability to pass the line of insta-death statues of Rammas Deluon.

That's all you need to do in order to gain access for your class quests.

Good luck!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by varonica View Post
    Just to clarify Angmar, there is a line of statues that kill instantly any level player, even lvl 100, unless they have done that particular epic quest. There are routes through that bypass the worst of the mobs, but not until you do the epic quest. Keep in mind that you don't actually have to kill the wraiths to get the fingernails, they are available at skirmish camps in exchange for marks so if you want to skip Angmar until you are a little higher level you can still advance your hunter quests.
    Thanks Varonica! I appreciate that. I'm enjoying doing the epic quests but I think I will go ahead and purchase at the skirmish camps since I've fulfilled everything else for the hunter quest... then I can have my new bow to do the epic questline!

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Just to be absolutely clear...

You only need to do Vol I Book 6 of the epic. You can start this in Aughaire with Corunir regardless of whether or not you have completed any previous Epics.

The final quest of Vol I Book 6 grants you the ability to pass the line of insta-death statues of Rammas Deluon.

That's all you need to do in order to gain access for your class quests.

Good luck!
    Thanks Nosdracir! I appreciate the info. I'll probably go ahead and do all the epics I'd missed up to this point, but might want to complete this first anyways. It is such a relief to be able to ask experienced players for help.