We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Windows XP will not be fixed, when will you have this game working on another OS?

Microsoft is no longer going to fix security problems on Win XP after the first few months of next year (2014). What OS are you going to switch too? They are claiming that hackers will be fixed on Win XP users after that date.

I've been running LOTRO on Win 7 64bit for a couple of years now. I'm aware of people running Win 7 32bit as well. Probably quite a number on Win 8 both flavors too. (I don't pay much attention to other people's OS though.)

There's also a Mac client. Not sure which version.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adifin View Post
    Microsoft is no longer going to fix security problems on Win XP after the first few months of next year (2014). What OS are you going to switch too? They are claiming that hackers will be fixed on Win XP users after that date.
    I upgraded to Win 7 ages ago when X-Com Enemy Unknown (2012) was released and it seems alot more stable, but in Microsofts quest to try and make it idiot-proof they removed some of the functions I found useful with XP. Dosbox still works with 7 too so my older games still work

In my little family we run Lotro on 3 different PC's connected to our home network: Vista 64bit, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 64bit. Not a single crash, no problems at all.

I can testify as well that Lotro runs well on Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64. You just need lots of RAM or it will run bad/crash frequently. 8GB RAM + swap file is recommended. Better have 16GB+ if you run other applications in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    I've been running LOTRO on Win 7 64bit for a couple of years now.
    Same, no issues here. As has been mentioned though it's best to have plenty of RAM (12gb here)
    Council Of The West On Evernight

Runesi

I'm still using Win XP and am unlikely to change. I use an older 2.2Ghz Laptop with only 1Gb RAM and don't know if Win7 is possible with low specs like mine without using too much resources to let me play anything. Win8 is a definite no go!

Quote Originally Posted by Wof View Post
    I'm still using Win XP and am unlikely to change. I use an older 2.2Ghz Laptop with only 1Gb RAM and don't know if Win7 is possible with low specs like mine without using too much resources to let me play anything. Win8 is a definite no go!
    Im quite sure the memory can be upgraded to 2Gb, wich is ennough for win7 + lotro. Sometimes i run the game with an older laptop too, that only has 2gb ram, and when keeping gfx setting lowish, there is no memory problem.

Currently using Xubuntu 13.10.
    Win 7 64bit was the choice before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wof View Post
    You do open yourself up to a security risk by continuing to use XP past next April. Any villains who fancy targeting security flaws in Windows OS's will have that date marked in there calendar. It's up to you of course but it isn't a risk I would be happy to take.

Look at it this way, any hacker who has become aware of a flaw they can exploit in XP would be wise not to exploit it now and risk it getting patched, instead they will wait until after April and exploit it then.

Another scenario, Microsoft release a security update for Windows 7 in June next year that addresses a vulnerability, Mr Hacker reverse engineers that security update to see what the vulnerability was, finds that this vulnerability also existed in XP and so exploits it knowing it will never get addressed.
    Last edited by Runesi_EU; Dec 04 2013 at 10:28 AM.

Runesi

Quote Originally Posted by Runesi_EU View Post
    You do open yourself up to a security risk by continuing to use XP past next April. Any villains who fancy targeting security flaws in Windows OS's will have that date marked in there calendar. It's up to you of course but it isn't a risk I would be happy to take.
    unless you are totally naive, a true dedicated and talented hacker can access what they want when they want, regardless of OS. just ask the NSA. LOL

so, as long as you utilize good virus software that is updated regularly, a decent firewall, use smart internet browsing (i.e. not visiting 'questionable' websites, opening e-mails from un-known sources, etc), you are going to have no problems if you continue to use XP. only those who are totally oblivious and click on every link they see without checking the source would potentially be vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensilence View Post
    unless you are totally naive, a true dedicated and talented hacker can access what they want when they want, regardless of OS. just ask the NSA. LOL

so, as long as you utilize good virus software that is updated regularly, a decent firewall, use smart internet browsing (i.e. not visiting 'questionable' websites, opening e-mails from un-known sources, etc), you are going to have no problems if you continue to use XP. only those who are totally oblivious and click on every link they see without checking the source would potentially be vulnerable.
    Up to you of course, I personally will stick with supported operating systems rather than 12 year old unsupported ones.

Runesi

Been running the game on Win 7 Home Premium 64bit for over a year, no issues at all.

I had this game running without OS problems under Windows 7(64), Windows 8(64) and Windows 8.1(64).

If you want to get a new OS, always get the newest.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    I had this game running without OS problems under Windows 7(64), Windows 8(64) and Windows 8.1(64).

If you want to get a new OS, always get the newest.
    I'll have to disagree with that. I've run all three, wish I still had W7. I am not on a tablet or phone I don't need it's interface; + other issues. Go for W7 and hope W9 is better then W8.

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    I'll have to disagree with that. I've run all three, wish I still had W7. I am not on a tablet or phone I don't need it's interface; + other issues. Go for W7 and hope W9 is better then W8.
    agreed. i did go back to win7. i'll stick with it until MS can get their act together and realize the pc is not dead and it's most definitely not a smartphone. as such we don't want a smartphone interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Runesi_EU View Post
    Up to you of course, I personally will stick with supported operating systems rather than 12 year old unsupported ones.
    It is not a personal choice, my Win7 64bit Desktop, went bang and I can't afford to replace it as I am now unemployed. This laptop, which no-one seems to think can be upgraded is all I have now.