We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Checking Dat Files freeze

I have a Mac. I meet all the prerequisites. BUT. . .

This is something that has been giving me trouble on Dungeons and Dragons Online - and now here for LOTR. When I launch the game it works perfectly, until it reaches "checking dat files." Then no matter how long I let it sit it doesn't change. Several times I have left it until my computer finally gave up and said that the application was not responding.

I'm redownloading, but i've done it before and it didn't work the last two times.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Arisalyn View Post
    I have a Mac. I meet all the prerequisites. BUT. . .

This is something that has been giving me trouble on Dungeons and Dragons Online - and now here for LOTR. When I launch the game it works perfectly, until it reaches "checking dat files." Then no matter how long I let it sit it doesn't change. Several times I have left it until my computer finally gave up and said that the application was not responding.

I'm redownloading, but i've done it before and it didn't work the last two times.
    This problem seems to appear randomly. And it is not a new issue.

That section of code is communicating with the server and comparing file version information.

While no one has officially come up with an answer, What I believe is happening is simply a communications error.

At that point in time, the launcher is checking file version information and comparing it with the server. I suspect that the response from the server is "delayed" and the re-try loop is broken.

Rather than simply sitting there and waiting, once you have hit the 2 or 3 minute mark (assuming you have previously patched successfully), quit the client and start it again.
    It might prove useful to reboot your Mac, and or your router. I'm assuming, of course, that the problem IS a communications related issue.

It never hurts to run Disk Verify in Disk Utility -- but it rarely helps.

You could try setting the protections as outlined at: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...the_Mac_Client.

The only time the Launcher will sit "not visibly doing anything" is during the Patch process while "applying forward iterations" -- it takes forever and no progress bar moves.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    This problem seems to appear randomly. And it is not a new issue.

That section of code is communicating with the server and comparing file version information.

While no one has officially come up with an answer, What I believe is happening is simply a communications error.

At that point in time, the launcher is checking file version information and comparing it with the server. I suspect that the response from the server is "delayed" and the re-try loop is broken.

Rather than simply sitting there and waiting, once you have hit the 2 or 3 minute mark (assuming you have previously patched successfully), quit the client and start it again.
    It might prove useful to reboot your Mac, and or your router. I'm assuming, of course, that the problem IS a communications related issue.

It never hurts to run Disk Verify in Disk Utility -- but it rarely helps.

You could try setting the protections as outlined at: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...the_Mac_Client.

The only time the Launcher will sit "not visibly doing anything" is during the Patch process while "applying forward iterations" -- it takes forever and no progress bar moves.
    I'll try this and see if it works. Thank you.