We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Client crash after failing to connect to patch server (through Steam)

I played the game on my iMac earlier today at home, no problem. But trying to play at my parents' house I keep running into the same issue: the launcher loads up and tries to connect to the patch server (presumably to check the game install and verify everything is up to date, which it is until Monday's update). It fails, does the 60 second countdown to retry, and crashes every time it tries again. Since the only thing that has changed in the past 10 hours is the internet I'm connected to, I'm assuming it's a router setting problem. Anyone have any idea what setting that is I need to tweak? Or if it could possibly be something else?
    My HiPS don't LiE but I do

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomex View Post
    I played the game on my iMac earlier today at home, no problem. But trying to play at my parents' house I keep running into the same issue: the launcher loads up and tries to connect to the patch server (presumably to check the game install and verify everything is up to date, which it is until Monday's update). It fails, does the 60 second countdown to retry, and crashes every time it tries again. Since the only thing that has changed in the past 10 hours is the internet I'm connected to, I'm assuming it's a router setting problem. Anyone have any idea what setting that is I need to tweak? Or if it could possibly be something else?
    Yes, you have a "communications" problem. See:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_..._Forwarding.29
    For the most likely changes.

Assuming you are using the same iMac, then that should be everything. If however, the machine at your parents is a different box, the probability is with Virus/Malware protection (although this problem is normally limited to updating). Scroll down a section or two to: "The Mac Client and anti-malware (anti-virus) software"
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

BTW, I would strongly recommend you "lock the ring in the dock" so that you can launch the Mac Client in the future without running through Steam.
    The Steam overlay itself does cause problem on occasion, although since the last patch to the Steam Mac Client, that problem seems to have been addressed.
    At least for me with 10.8.5.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)