We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Swords being taken away from Hunters?

Was looking at the email that I received two hours ago and went to the revitalize your role page where it has listed the classes and some new information about them.

While I have always known that the Hunter is the best with bows, I enjoyed having swords as well.

The description mentions only bow type skills and trapping. There isn't even a sword at the Hunter's hip.

Is LotRO taking WoW route and pulling swords from Hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by lonegreywolf21 View Post
    Was looking at the email that I received two hours ago and went to the revitalize your role page where it has listed the classes and some new information about them.

While I have always known that the Hunter is the best with bows, I enjoyed having swords as well.

The description mentions only bow type skills and trapping. There isn't even a sword at the Hunter's hip.

I doubt it. They may be getting some of their melee skills removed or re-purposed, since they're not used as often as ranged skills, but I see absolutely no reason why they'd completely remove the ability to hit anything close up when every other class, to include the RK which has no melee skills at all, can still do so.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    I doubt melee will be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by lonegreywolf21 View Post

It darn well better not be. Pulling shields as an option from Champions was bad enough, but to force an entire class that has, since launch, had numerous melee attacks, be a 100% ranged role... well, it's just stupid beyond compare. Many people in my old WoW guild quit when hunters went ranged only, and I also played a melee hunter in WoW. I use my melee skills on my hunter constantly. I don't like being relegated to a 100% ranged role, and if this were to happen, I'd not play my hunter at all anymore, as all the fun would be vacuumed out of it for me.

Aw heck no! That would suck and wouldn't make much sense.

well I guess it's a possibility but I think the omission is probably because they aren't going to be supplying anything new or sexy when it comes to hunter melee.
    it may be that say a huntsman hunter uses melee never, since inductions on the move make that viable. it may come to pass that our more powerful melee skills are in the trapper line, who knows? guess we'd better wait fir the diary.

They would have to remove inductions for a lot of bow skills then. Any more than a few mobs on a hunter, then the hunter can't get the inductions off and is then toast. That is now how a class should work. A lot of groups of enemies are 3 or more. Traps and the such are only so effective, and since not all hunter trait lines are designed to improve the potency of CC skills, it would put the other two trees at a serious disadvantage if they have no effective means to defend themselves against multiple enemies at once.

I am curious what page the OP refers to, though. I see no mention of swords being taken from hunters in the Revitalize Your Role page, and the official Hunter dev diary hasn't been released yet. It isn't even next on the list. A Hunter's primary type of attacks come from the bow. It is only logical that these trait trees impact bow-skills more than melee skills, and considering how brief the Revitalize Your Role page is, why spend those few words talking about lesser-used melee skills instead of the bow-skills?
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of [U][B]Riddermark[/B][/U]ed For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ [U][B]Landroval[/B][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    I am curious what page the OP refers to, though. I see no mention of swords being taken from hunters in the Revitalize Your Role page, and the official Hunter dev diary hasn't been released yet. It isn't even next on the list. A Hunter's primary type of attacks come from the bow. It is only logical that these trait trees impact bow-skills more than melee skills, and considering how brief the Revitalize Your Role page is, why spend those few words talking about lesser-used melee skills instead of the bow-skills?
    I believe the OP also refers to the fact the hunter is not wearing a sword (although I think that is likely because of the low importance--relatively--of swords to the hunter).

Though I prefer using a dagger and a hammer, I would hate to lose the option of using a sword.

Oh man I would hate that. My hunter uses a sword a lot.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

I don't think they're being removed. That web page only mentions a few highlights, not everything about the classes, the revamps, or the trait trees.

-Bel
    Last edited by Belnavar; Sep 15 2013 at 11:21 PM.
    Belnavar - Captain - 100 - Riddermark - The Guild / Keepers of the Palantiri

Exclamation

I think that you are just thinking it too far. Nothing is beeing removed from the classes. They are just changing how the class traits are organized, thats all. So calm down & do whatever you normally do in LOTRO to enjoy the game.

Um, your a hunter.. shoot dead before it get's close to you....

Quote Originally Posted by Draculetta View Post

Unless you need to supply an interrupt...

i doubt if they would do this... would cause too many players to ragequit (including me...)

Joining what other have said, I really doubt they remove the melee aspect of the hunter.

Hunter devdiary may come at the end of the week, it may contain some info about it. But looking the 3 diaries they released yet, I really dont think it will hold any specific detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Draculetta View Post
    Spoken like someone who doesn't play a Hunter.

In fellowships and raids, that's not an issue. When soloing you can't get by without melee.

Anyway, I can't imagine them taking away melee (or even just swords) from Hunters. Not only would it represent such a drastic change to the class that they'd be upsetting a large part of the population, it would also render a HUGE number of legendary items completely useless. It's one thing to take a skill away, it's quite another to take away and item that people have worked hard to obtain, then level, then customize. It would be as bad as killing off one of your toons, and be received equally poorly.

It's not going to happen.

swords looks weird on a hunter. daggers ok but for a range focused class to lug around all these giant axe, mace, and clubs is just plain not right. also would be great if they fix they way onehanders and sheathed. it bugs me that it looks like i am stabbing my horse.

p.s. the blue and gold legendary daggers looks funky. i think i can use them as frying pans to cook bacon.
    Last edited by smashNslash; Sep 16 2013 at 08:32 AM.

A lot of NPCs would need to be changed if they did go down this route. AFAIK all range enemies switch to melee when you or they are right next to each other. Along with how cool it is to fire a bow then when they get close strike them with a sword. Besides the Hunter class is based on Legolas and he wielded a long dagger that was more like a short sword.

Quote Originally Posted by smashNslash View Post
    swords looks weird on a hunter...
    How you think a weapon looks is a matter of taste not if is right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by robinhood2 View Post
    I hope that hunters keep swords, in fact I wish I could use a 2 handed sword for the look of it.
    *draws two-handed sword* "This for close encounters!"

We have swords? But a sword can't go "pew, pew". How am I supposed to use a sword? Pretty sure I can't "faceroll" with a sword...

Actually 2-handed (long) weapons are meant to keep some distance to the target, historically. 1-hand (short) weapons are the ones mean for close encounters.

One of the greatest "hunters" in Tolkien's works, Beleg Strongbow, used an axe and sword in close combat. Legolas, as was pointed out, uses knives for close work. Beyond the lore, which may or may not have much of a say in things anymore, I doubt that the devs would remove melee skills entirely.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000000a1c8/01008/signature.png]Balariond[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Anharmon View Post
    I believe the OP also refers to the fact the hunter is not wearing a sword (although I think that is likely because of the low importance--relatively--of swords to the hunter).
    What the picture shows isn't really important at all. Hunters can also use crossbows but he can't very well use crossbows and longbows at the same time. xD If they showed each class with every possible weapon in the picture, the poor characters would be drowning in weaponry. xD
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of [U][B]Riddermark[/B][/U]ed For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ [U][B]Landroval[/B][/U]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast