We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Checking dat files 77% - Day 4

I'm at a complete loss and no idea where else to look. I've checked every online solution and taken them all to the extreme.

I was playing the game just fine for about a month with no problems. One day, my Windows 7 kicks the game and everything else because, unbeknownst to me, it was installing updates and decided to reset itself. When the comp came back up, the LOTRO client was hung at 77%, checking dat files. I thought the game had become corrupted by the sudden interruption, but an hour or later it fired right up and I was playing again... for one day.

The next morning I try to load the game and bam... stuck at 77% again. That was 4 days ago. Here's what I have done since then to no avail:

Completely uninstalled the game, Happy Cloud, and any evidence of the game that I could locate on my computer. Reinstalled from bare bones. Stuck.

Downloaded and installed a second version of the game on Steam, completely independent from the other one. Stuck there too.

* (Restore previous versions of the dat files). Well, there are no previous versions anymore. This is a whole new installation. Both of them.

* (Update and restart .NET framework). I deleted it. There is currently no .NET framework on my computer. "Checking dat files 77%" didn't even notice.

* (Allow exceptions in your firewall). Antivirus is deleted. Defender disabled. No firewall.

* (Submit a ticket to Turbine). Did that, and a few emails went back and forth as they asked for my DxDiag and MsConfig, etc. After I did a clean boot as per their suggestion and nothing happened, they just stopped answering.

* (Switch the client from English to German and back) Yeah... and nothing.

I've definitely tried a few other things, but these were the most mentioned on the net. A lot of these shouldn't even be considered, since the solutions should be all-encompassing to the variety of people all experiencing this problem. I mean I'm not the only one stuck at exactly 77%. I see a good number of people out there stuck in the same place and we make up a good range in technology (Mac/PC, different internet connections, etc) that the only thing we all have in common is the game.

Also, it's important to note that this game DID work with my current configuration of hardware/connection, and suddenly did not, without me changing anything.

I'm getting extremely frustrated and all I see online are a variety of suggestions that just do not do the trick. As a game subscriber, right now I feel like I should just be throwing 30 cents down a hole every day. If someone can help me find the workaround that no one is posting online (or there was just one more solution on the net somewhere that I overlooked and it happened to be the one that actually works) please let me know. I've found "solutions" or suggestions on Reddit, this forum, Steam forums, Turbine forums, tried every one I could find. I've got nothing left and now I'm posting this.

INTERESTING NOTE: Earlier in this post I mentioned that I have two independent copies of the game (Steam version and Turbine direct download version). I actually did try to load them both at the same time. Whichever is loaded first hangs up at 77%, but the second one to load makes it to the login screen! If you leave both programs running, you'll get kicked if you try to login. If you let the second program get to login and then close the first one, it will let you log in, but once you log in you get ALMOST to the character selection screen and the game kicks you out with "ERROR: Cannot Patch!" It does not matter which one you start with. I have tried every combination of loading up the two and closing one down at key moments. That's the closest I can get to playing.

Maybe that's a clue that will help whomever reads this.

Try renaming your UserPreferences file (it's located in your Documents folder under The Lord of the Rings Online) and let the game create a new one.

Also, there was a post from LOTRO Technical Support to make sure your Windows clock time and date is correct, and check that your language is set to English. I remember once after a Windows update, my PC date was set back like 3 years. Strange, and no idea how that happened.
    Last edited by Caernach; Sep 15 2013 at 11:55 AM.

Clocks and dates are all fine, and remember that I deleted *everything* on my computer with LOTRO involvement that I could find. This includes the files in My Documents. I deleted the whole folder and the game created a new one. Still nothing.

can you successfully ping the servers at gls.lotro.com

Quote Originally Posted by GetHisWallet View Post
    Clocks and dates are all fine, and remember that I deleted *everything* on my computer with LOTRO involvement that I could find. This includes the files in My Documents. I deleted the whole folder and the game created a new one. Still nothing.
    Right, but that's not what I mean. The game created a new userpreference file when you re-installed it. What I am saying is delete it again (or rename it) but leave the rest of the game, then try to launch.

When I had this problem last year, there were many posts about the hi-res files causing issues for people. I deleted my hi-res files and that took care of it for me. No clue why, really, but it worked and has since. There were 2 files, client_highres.dat and client_highres_aux1.datx. The current version of LOTRO that I am running does not have those 2 files.

Hi, GetHisWallet and welcome to the forums.

If you're still having this issue can you please try going into your "The Lord of the Rings Online" directory and deleting the "bindat" and "Patches" directories. Once you have done that go into the "Backup" directory, copy everything there and paste it into the main "The Lord of the Rings Online" directory choosing to replace existing files when prompted.

Try again then to start the patching process.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo10 View Post
    can you successfully ping the servers at gls.lotro.com
    Looks like it. All came back with replies

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    Hi, GetHisWallet and welcome to the forums.

If you're still having this issue can you please try going into your "The Lord of the Rings Online" directory and deleting the "bindat" and "Patches" directories. Once you have done that go into the "Backup" directory, copy everything there and paste it into the main "The Lord of the Rings Online" directory choosing to replace existing files when prompted.

Try again then to start the patching process.
    Done. Sorry for the delay but I had to reinstall the Microsoft .net framework and that proved to require multiple installation files before Steam would accept it.

Anyways - I performed the steps as you presented them. The game updated the launcher, restarted the launcher, and... stuck at 77%.

Quote Originally Posted by Caernach View Post
    Right, but that's not what I mean. The game created a new userpreference file when you re-installed it. What I am saying is delete it again (or rename it) but leave the rest of the game, then try to launch.

When I had this problem last year, there were many posts about the hi-res files causing issues for people. I deleted my hi-res files and that took care of it for me. No clue why, really, but it worked and has since. There were 2 files, client_highres.dat and client_highres_aux1.datx. The current version of LOTRO that I am running does not have those 2 files.
    Ok, I deleted the userpreference file while leaving the game installation alone. It created a new one but we're still stuck. Apparently the hangup occurs after the userpreference portion of start up.

I have also specifically deleted each .dat file to include those you mentioned, loading the game in between each one. This was all before I deleted the entire game and reinstalled it.

Day 5. This is driving me crazy. The thing that really bothers me is that I feel like Turbine could just look at what file this thing is working on when getting stuck and fix it or at least say what it is. I mean, it's not like it gets stuck at a random number. It's always 77%. I am also pretty sure it's whatever file comes after corestrings.dll in the process, just from what comes up in the display

Ok, I deleted the userpreference file while leaving the game installation alone. It created a new one but we're still stuck. Apparently the hangup occurs after the userpreference portion of start up.

I have also specifically deleted each .dat file to include those you mentioned, loading the game in between each one. This was all before I deleted the entire game and reinstalled it.

Day 5. This is driving me crazy. The thing that really bothers me is that I feel like Turbine could just look at what file this thing is working on when getting stuck and fix it or at least say what it is. I mean, it's not like it gets stuck at a random number. It's always 77%. I am also pretty sure it's whatever file comes after corestrings.dll in the process, just from what comes up in the display

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that none of these fixes are working for you. I can imagine your frustration. I'll copy one more suggestion for you, something that worked for another user, and then I'm afraid I have no more "fixes" to offer. Best of luck, I hope you get this solved soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The solution/workaround I found is to move all the contents (files and subdirectories) in the LOTRO client's Patches directory one level up (and thus overwriting existing copies), and then restart the launcher."

"He merely means to move the files from (for example):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\Patches

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online"

Quote Originally Posted by Caernach View Post
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear that none of these fixes are working for you. I can imagine your frustration. I'll copy one more suggestion for you, something that worked for another user, and then I'm afraid I have no more "fixes" to offer. Best of luck, I hope you get this solved soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The solution/workaround I found is to move all the contents (files and subdirectories) in the LOTRO client's Patches directory one level up (and thus overwriting existing copies), and then restart the launcher."

"He merely means to move the files from (for example):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\Patches

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online"
    I do appreciate the attempts. Just to let you know, my Patches and bindat folders are currently completely empty.

Can you powercycle your modem and router for 30 secs and ensure 'Turbinelauncher' in your game directory is set to 'run as administrator'

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo10 View Post
    Can you powercycle your modem and router for 30 secs and ensure 'Turbinelauncher' in your game directory is set to 'run as administrator'

Thank you for trying. I ran the TurbineLauncher as an administrator but it didn't help. I was able to cycle the router to no avail, but I'm in a hotel room at the moment and cannot cycle the modem. I'm reluctant to think it's the problem though, because I was playing the game in this room for a week before this happened. Is it possible that the ISP, 7 days later, suddenly decided the patch system should be blocked?

Is it possible that the ISP, 7 days later, suddenly decided the patch system should be blocked?
    It's entirely possible. It's also possible that the hotel decided to block the ports needed on the router/modem, but both of those are very unlikely as you can connect to the patch server and start the patching process.

I'll keep thinking on your issue and see if I can come up with another solution but, in the mean time, can you just check that you don't have a proxy set in the Launcher options?
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

I have also had this problem for two weeks (since the last major patch - perhaps 3 weeks). It works fine from home, fails in hotel room while travelling..

I have tried with and without proxy an all previous recommendations. Freezes at 77%.

It's entirely possible. It's also possible that the hotel decided to block the ports needed on the router/modem, but both of those are very unlikely as you can connect to the patch server and start the patching process.

I'll keep thinking on your issue and see if I can come up with another solution but, in the mean time, can you just check that you don't have a proxy set in the Launcher options?
    Yep, all proxy options turned off in both the game and my computer [Control Panel/Network/Connections tab]

This actually gives me hope. I close on my house and move in this Friday, finally out of the hotel room. It's just weird because I was playing for a week in this hotel before the problem began. One day, forcibly kicked out of the game by an eager Windows 7, and then pow. I can tell you the hour and minute on either side of the game working and not working.

77% - I have the same issue - hangs

I am also trying to run it from a hotel , but have not tried it at home yet as I move in next week. I have tried some of solutions listed above with no joy.

Very frustrating as same problem for multiple versions of LOTR

I'm comforted and dismayed to find this problem is not only mine (right down to the 77%), but that no solution exists.

I will say this; I currently connect via my school's wifi. On a cable, my other computer connects just fine (and I can't test both on both machines because the school has caps on the MAC addresses allotted to individuals' machines). When I took my laptop with me to the States, it connected just fine in Panera Bread, on their wifi. Back here... back to the same problem again.

Are you connecting via wifi, or is this problem ubiquitous via any means of connection? I ask to see if it's a wifi configuration issue, vs. an ISP issue (since my ISP provides the wired AND wifi access, but currently I only appear to have the problem via wifi... but not ALL wifi).

i just wanted to say that the client stops naturally at 77% 'Checking dat files'.... and then goes onto 'patching dat files' if only for a second or two normally.

It does seem to be connected to the transition, maybe the checksum from the server.

idk why it hangs here for some but connection seems to be the common denominator, i can't reproduce this blocking access to dat files

Victory!

Okay, so now it works... Here's how:

1. I finally got out of the hotel and moved into our new home

2. I changed the settings in the launcher to 'No Proxy'

It finally fired up. With all things considered, it looks like the hotel's public network decided to block the game's patch server for whatever reason, thus it worked at first but not later. Once I completed the two things above, it fired right up. I'm posting this just in case anyone is out there searching for the solution just like I was.

Sad to hear we can't play Lotro in hotels!

I'm so frustrated, because I'm in the same boat as you were except I don't get to move into a new house and I don't have any blocks on my access. I've been at this for 3 days. Maybe day 5 will be magic I submitted a ticket. I hope they fix this. I wish I had never reinstalled the game (3 times!!!) I think it made it worse. I wonder if someone with a game that's working can send me their data files? I'll ask in my kin (thank god for Team Speak otherwise, I may never see them again in game!)

Are you an administrator on your computer? If not, try creating a profile that is and restarting under that profile.

The options proxy on this screen is set to none I guess?
    (Like GetHisWallet did?)

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?513343-Stuck-on-quot-Checking-dat-files-quot&p=6960450

Does it look like this? see above thread.

Last edited by EmyrSelyf; Oct 23 2013 at 02:47 PM.
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=#ff0000]Currently serving [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Brecfes[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] on every world....[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Yes, I'm the Administrator and I did create a new account as admin anyway but still got the problem. Also, had options on launcher set to no proxy. Didn't help. My last step is to contact my ISP provider (comcast) and ask about this squid thing thats mentioned, but my suspicion is the last update Turbine did and I'm waiting for more instructions from the support ticket I submitted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast