We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Kin House Rethink - Make A House A Home

This is a re-post of an idea had 3 years ago or so, and that was originally posted over at the CodeMasters forums.

Kinship House Rethink

Kinship houses often seem to sit there full of trophies no-one really looks at. For most Kins the house is somewhere to have just 3 extra storage chests and a place to display the Kin's progress through the world by having a few trophies on the wall.

With a bit of a rethink the Kin House could become the central defining point of a Kin. It could become a reason for people want to join a Kin and the reason they are happy to stay with a kin. What would bring about this change? Utility, or usefulness.

At the moment if you have a Kin House or a Personal House you get a slight reduction in services in the neighbourhood of your house. In reality this discount does not even cover the cost of a the weekly upkeep. The ideas I have are an attempt to change that, to make a kin House (and to a lesser extent a personal house) a focus of the game and an essential part of maintaining progression through the game world; Kin Houses would also become a bit like academies for newer characters to help through some of the early stages, but only if their Kin has done the ground work.

Crafting

The first change should come to crafting. This will have knock-on effects to the current "Hook" system.

A Kin house should have several "hooks" for crafting facilities. Large Hooks would be for the facility itself, Small Hooks would add a storage container specific to that craft.

For Example.

A "Large Yard" Hook could become a "field" for the Farming Craft, a connected Small Yard Hook would become a storage shed for the materials used in Farming.

A "Large yard" could also be used to add Forge facilities for Weapon and metal Smiths. The accompanying Storage Shed would only accept material used in those professions.

A Large Yard could have drying racks for leather and timer for Forretsers.

Inside the house you could have:

Large Wall = Scholars Bookshelf - For Scholars.
    Large Wall = "Kitchen" - for Cooks.

Large Furniture = Tailors Station, Jewel Cutters Desk etc.

These Crafting facilities would only "unlock" once a Kin had a member with "Master" level ability with that craft AND Ally status with the appropriate Crafting Guild; only then would he/she be able to "pass on" their skills by setting up such an academy.

The Kin would need to appoint one Member to be the Craft Mentor for each Craft. If that member leaves and can not be replaced by another similarly skilled member within one week (payment cycle on the house) then that academy would lose the support of the associated Craft Guild and would close.

These Craft Facilites would only be useable for crafting items up to Artisan level.

However, once the Craft Mentor had become a Supreme Master and attained Kindred status with the Craft Guild the facilitles could be "upgraded" to allow carfting at higher levels.

A Basic Craft Station would add a small amount to the "Upkeep" of the Kin House, an advanced Craft Station would add a little more.

Other Features

The Stables

An "Extra Large Yard" hook could be used to add a Stables, with an NPC Stable Master.
    This would permit all Kin Members to gain a 5% or 10% bonus to mount movement speeds, this would reflect the extra care, attention and good animal husbandry the Kin was able to provide for its mounts. Again, there would be a small addition to the Upkeep fee for this facility.

The Storemaster

Once a Kin had attained one, or more, Advanced Crafting Facilities they could then employ their own Storemaster. He would offer greatly reduced prices for all repairs. In addition he would have a Storage Chest specifically for Potions, Trail Food and Oils and Chants etc. The Kin would have to stock this Storage Chest, and all members could both contribute to it and take from it. Again, there would be a small addition to the Upkeep fee for this facility.

Bedrooms

The Bedroom would come with an NPC Housekeeper. What use could a Bedroom be in a Kin House? Rested XP. Currently when we log out we accrue "rested XP" at a certain rate. Now to make being in a Kin truly desirable to lower level characters the Bedrooms could give a slight (5% ?) bonus to how fast Rested XP is accumulated. But ONLY if the Character in question Logged Out of the game in His Kin House's Bedroom. Again, there would be a small addition to the Upkeep fee for this facility.

Cosmetic Changes

How about having seats we can sit on, and table we can sit at? Simple enough really.

Upkeep Costs

OK, so I have made some changes to the Upkeep costs, and this will have to be paid for somehow.

First of all there would be two levels of permission in a Kin House, Basic & Advanced.

Basic would permit the current level of access, use of the three Storage Lockers, and beer kegs etc.

The Advanced would permit usage of any of these new features I have proposed.

Each Kin member could decide for themselves what level of commitment, and thereby support, they are prepared to pay for.

Each member would tick his or her own Basic or Advanced tick-box.

The Upkeep tab would then workout the price each member would need to pay each week and a meeage would be sent to each player when that amout became due asking them to permit that deduction from their own cash. There would, of course, be an option to pay up-front for a period of time, just like there is now. You could even add in a weighting system so that Officers pay a little more than normal members, and recruits pay a nominal fee.

The Upkeep Tab could also allow the Kin leader to set a One Off joining Fee, this money would then be "banked" to cover a shortfall in the Upkeep costs if such a thing occured, sat beacuse a few people left and the income did not quite cover the fees.

These changes would make the Kin House a central part of each kin, rather than an "ornament" of no real in-game value. If we are going to invest money in our Kin Houses as we must do in real life, then surely just as in real life we should get some real benefit from doing so.

As an after thought I thought it might be appropriate to have some of these things linked.

For Example:
    "The Stables" only unlocks once the Kin House has an advanced "Farmer's Field".
    "The Bedroom / Housekeeper" only unlocks once the Kin House has an advanced "Kitchen".

This way the Kin House "grows" in to a small community to support the Kin.

All The Best

I love this entire idea! Kinhouses would have to be a lot bigger to support all this stuff most likely, but no harm in that
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

Thumbs up

this is a really intresting idea and was actully quite a good read,i think the kin i am in would enjoy something like this and it would be nice if we had some new kin stuff but i guess we will find out at some point when we get more info on the housing change.

great ideas there and it shows there was some time and work put into that post there

gratz
    If you are going to be bad, be bad with purpose, otherwise your just not worth Forgiving

Damon Salvatore

I like these ideas.

It's like hitting two birds with one stone. It's a kinhouse improvement and a kinship improvement.

Now to get a proper business model that includes all the interactions between kinmembers and their crafting skill and guild status.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

As an additional thought, and one that could incentivise Turbine/WB to think about it, it could be possible to have a "Default Stable" as standard, but offer cosmetically different options via the Store.

So, for example, you may have a Kin House in Bree Lands, so the "Default Stable" would be architecturally in tune with that; but you could unlock other Racial Themes or even "Regional Themes" from the Store.

This would probably require a mechanism to allow Kin Members to donate TP to the Kind TP Balance.

All The Best

As a kin leader I like this idea. Its very interesting and would make my slight obsession with the house and its use alittle more normal :P
    It would also add more interaction among the kin as they would be spending more time together for the crafting.
    You could also add a small crit buff chance at the top tier craft locations.
    Sabian- Hunter85
    All warfare is based on deception

kinship revamp

as a kin leader i too think that any idea to bring people to the kin house to use it is a great idea and would welcome the above changes. Can i also suggest a change to the storage at kinhouse and make them a kind of kin vault rather than having storage chests. This could be added to by spending either extra gold or turbine points to allow more storage also allowing a chance for the developers to gain some of the outlay a change costs. also can i suggest in kin vault there is an option for kinnies to donate gold if they so wish and a log be kept of all withdrawals and deposits as i have had a few things go out of my kin chests in last few months and cant accuse all kinnies of taking them and dont want to restrict access to all either. last but not least in the storage option a 3 tier system would also be good with people having access to all, deposit only or withdrawal only facility to allow all kinnies wheter recruit or officer to contribute to the running of the kin.

Thks
    Tottswig
    (the Family kin leader,withywindle)

I really like the idea of having some modest passive bonuses to non-combat functions (like mount speed) come from the Kinship house - nice! Especially if the whole kinship has to contribute to earning it some manner, not just with gold (or time)... some sort of coop effort, perhaps a set of "deeds".

They do need to be careful, though. One thing Turbine wants to avoid is to make these the natural social hubs for kinships, so people log in and head straight for their kin house. I know that may grate, but it's true... they did something along those lines in Asheron's Call, and it had a major depopulating effect on the game's common social hubs. They made some attempts to get people to come back to the cities after that, but with very limited success. That's a mistake I'm quite certain they don't want to repeat.

From the individual kinship's point of view, having the kin house be the social center for the game makes good sense. From the game company's much broader point of view, that's not a very good thing at all. Kin houses number in the hundreds, while the common social centers are usually just a handful - it would spread people out way too much.

Khafar

Crafting in the Homesteads Plus Maybe...

I actually bought a house and thought their would be some crafting facilities and storage. I read they took out crafting from Homesteads because it emptied the cities and made them ghost towns. I thought storage would be better and when I paid 9 gold to go from 30 slots to 45 slots and saw 27 gold for the next 15 slots I sold my decorations and abandoned the house. Even if they added crafting which I think should be there, especially with World chat now everyone is still connected, you can't craft without storage close to you. If they want people to stay around cities and buy Homesteads and Kin Houses maybe make some of the unused doors in the cities as portals at least for quick movement to Kin Housing. Add portals to major cities in Kin Housing and you have fixed one of the major problems with most people not playing, Time. A lot of people who can afford to pay for items for fast advancement in LOTRO store are ok and retired people like me can grind out their game but I think there is a target population Lotro loses due to some of these issues. If people can accomplish more in a shorter time you will have more people interested in playing the game. (sometimes I read later what i have written and it makes no sense, I'm bi-polar disabled and depends on what stage in my meds. I'm on. But I was really disappointed with Homesteads.) I think if Kin with good quality players run the different group instances and others group option items on a regular basis should be rewarded in some way.
    Thanks for letting me sound off.
    Lothrallar

I think these ideas are inspired Egilric, it would certainly add a whole new depth and meaning to kins and homesteads!

Quote Originally Posted by Luminare View Post
    I actually bought a house and thought their would be some crafting facilities and storage. I read they took out crafting from Homesteads because it emptied the cities and made them ghost towns. I thought storage would be better and when I paid 9 gold to go from 30 slots to 45 slots and saw 27 gold for the next 15 slots I sold my decorations and abandoned the house. Even if they added crafting which I think should be there, especially with World chat now everyone is still connected, you can't craft without storage close to you. If they want people to stay around cities and buy Homesteads and Kin Houses maybe make some of the unused doors in the cities as portals at least for quick movement to Kin Housing. Add portals to major cities in Kin Housing and you have fixed one of the major problems with most people not playing, Time. A lot of people who can afford to pay for items for fast advancement in LOTRO store are ok and retired people like me can grind out their game but I think there is a target population Lotro loses due to some of these issues. If people can accomplish more in a shorter time you will have more people interested in playing the game. (sometimes I read later what i have written and it makes no sense, I'm bi-polar disabled and depends on what stage in my meds. I'm on. But I was really disappointed with Homesteads.) I think if Kin with good quality players run the different group instances and others group option items on a regular basis should be rewarded in some way.
    Thanks for letting me sound off.
    Lothrallar
    There is plenty of unused space close to the main cities, and in Bree itself there is a whole area of unused and undeveloped land that would be great for homesteads. I never got why the houses within the cities are not utilised for homes and kinhouses.
    Calanne Starlight