We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Buying expansions question

I briefly played this game when it came out years ago. I thought I would try the f2p and check it out again before buying any expansions. While I am downloading this, I was browsing through the forums and am a bit confused about something.

Even if I buy all of the expansions, I still will to buy additional things to unlock more zones and quests to unlock everything?? Isn't that what buying the expansions are for? Could someone explain this to me? I am a bit confused at the logic of this, if I am understanding this correctly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Badbyte View Post
    Even if I buy all of the expansions, I still will to buy additional things to unlock more zones and quests to unlock everything?? Isn't that what buying the expansions are for? Could someone explain this to me? I am a bit confused at the logic of this, if I am understanding this correctly.
    Yes, this part is a bit confusing. When this game went Free to Play, they broke up the content into zones. (Well, it already was in zones but they made a zone into a "thing".) Most zones are part of the base game, but some zones are part of expansions. In the past, people had to buy an expansion in order to access its content... on TOP of whatever subscription they had. So it seemed wrong to give new players expansions for "free".

If you subscribe (go VIP) you get access to all non-expansion zones as part of your subscription. If you don't, then the difference between a regular zone and an expansion zone is moot. You need to unlock the quest pack (or expansion quest pack) for a zone in order to get deeds and do non-epic quests in that zone.

When Turbine releases new non-expansion zones, there aren't typically pre-purchase packages or as much fanfare for the newly added zone that VIPs will be able to access as part of their subscription. When a new expansion is released, there's a lot of pre-release publicity, several ways you can pre-order (with pre-order perks), and even VIPs need to decide how they will purchase the new content.

Hopefully this makes things clearer?
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

To clarify: no matter what you are, F2P Premium VIP or Lifer, you need to buy four zones in order to play them. Those zones are Moria (Mines of Moria), Mirkwood (Siege of Mirkwood), Dunland/Gap of Rohan (Rise of Isengard), and East Rohan (Riders of Rohan).

All other zones are free to VIPs and Lifers (they're technically "renting" the zones with their subscription) and must be purchased by F2P or Premium in order to quest or deed there. These zones include Lothlorien, Enedwaith, Great River, and Wildermore, zones that have been released after expansions but are not directly tied to those expansions.

The only zones that are free to everyone are Ered Luin, the Shire, Bree-land, and the Lone Lands.

The upcoming expansion, Helm's Deep, will be required to play in all zones released in November, but should not be required for any other zones released at a later time. (That may change, we'll have to see.)
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    The upcoming expansion, Helm's Deep, will be required to play in all zones released in November, but should not be required for any other zones released at a later time. (That may change, we'll have to see.)
    I don't think that's correct. You'll still get the class changes even if you don't buy Helm's Deep. The big change is that you won't be able to play the Epic quests in Helm's Deep unless you buy the expansion. You'll certainly be able to play in all OTHER zones if you don't.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>