We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning player with questions

Sorry if these are found somewhere else in the forum, I couldn't find them with a Google search but I have a few questions. I recently got a new computer and finished download LotRO. Now the last time I played was in early of 2010. I actually bought the game before it went free to play and I know they've had quite a few content updates since then so I was wondering: are the expansions accessible to play for free? Do you just get benefits for buying them, or do you have to buy them to access the content? If so, what order should I buy them in? I'm on my old account and I'm currently leveling up as a 25 captain. Also, has the player vs. monster player died down a bit? I remember last when I played there were quite a few people always playing as monsters. Now I hardly see any. :/ Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by ActionBleepstard View Post
    I actually bought the game before it went free to play and I know they've had quite a few content updates since then so I was wondering: are the expansions accessible to play for free? Do you just get benefits for buying them, or do you have to buy them to access the content?
    Your account is currently Premium, unless you subscribe again and become VIP.

You can access the expansion zones and do the Epic quests there for free. But you won't get any of the deeds or non-Epic quests in any zone you have not purchased. You can get access to non-expansion zone content by starting up your subscription again, but the only way for anyone to get the expansion content is to buy it. You can get a quad-pack for $40, or perhaps less if you buy it along with pre-ordering the NEXT expansion, Helm's Deep. (Note that as of Helm's Deep, the Epic quests will no longer be available unless you own the expansion pack.)

If so, what order should I buy them in? I'm on my old account and I'm currently leveling up as a 25 captain.
    It's kinda up to you. Depending on when in 2010 you were a subscriber, you *may* already have the Moria expansion. If you choose to subscribe, you could possibly get by without buying any more expansions since you can level up using non-expansion zones. It's a complex question... but not one you need to answer until you are nearing level 50 (60 if you already have Moria).

Note that your old characters have some perks that characters you create while Premium won't have, since as no gold cap and the ability to access swift travel outside of the starter cities.

Also, has the player vs. monster player died down a bit? I remember last when I played there were quite a few people always playing as monsters. Now I hardly see any. :/ Thanks in advance!
    I don't PvMP so I can't tell you much. I know there are some significant changes coming with Helm's Deep and we are in the pre-expansion lull. Some claim that freeps are really overpowered right now and maybe that is affecting things. Or you just checked it out on a slow night?
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

I was just doing monster play. A lot more people on than the other night so I guess you were right! So where do I go about upgrading my account? I downloaded the game through Steam. When I go to the LotRO store and go to account -> expansions, I only see the Isengard and Riders of Rohan? Are there no others I need to buy, or just those two? What about all the instances / quests / skirmishes? Do I need to worry about buying those? Thanks again!

.... Also, has the player vs. monster player died down a bit? I remember last when I played there were quite a few people always playing as monsters. Now I hardly see any. :/ Thanks in advance!
    Shukar answered most of your questions well, so I'll only touch on the PvMP one. I think the PvMP activity may depend on the server. I haven't played for a few months, but for the previous year before that, Landroval server had a decent amount of PvMP activity most nights. I've played on the PvMP on Landroval since 2008, and there has been a decent amount of turnover in names and players. But in terms of a steady amount of players on both sides, Landroval has had it in the past year in my experience. YMMV depending on your own server.

Also, there's a great sale going on that if you purchase the upcoming Helm's Deep expansion pack, you can buy all the previous expansion packs at a substantial discount. It may be worth checking out, but you can only access that sale at the Helm's Deep checkout cart.

And most of all, welcome back to LOTRO! Hope you enjoy your time here. Any other questions, please let me know and if you're on Landroval, let me know so I can send you a welcome back present.

Edit: You can log onto your Turbine account here https://myaccount.turbine.com/index.php to find out exactly what expansions you have purchased. Also, in regards to your comment about the moors, yes the population can flux from side to side depending on the night of the week and metagame.
    [COLOR=Lime][SIZE=1]other favorite middle-earth related games: The One Ring RPG, published by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game, published by FFG[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I logged into that link and under game version history on my current account it says:
    Shadows of Angmar Trial
    Mines of Moria Trial
    Mines of Moria Standard
    Shadows of Angmar Standard
    Siege of Mirkwood
    What does this all mean? I mean, I know they're expansions but.. I have no recollection of purchasing them.

Edit: I'm actually on Vilya server, but thank you though!

I logged into that link and under game version history on my current account it says:
    Shadows of Angmar Trial
    Mines of Moria Trial
    Mines of Moria Standard
    Shadows of Angmar Standard
    Siege of Mirkwood
    What does this all mean? I mean, I know they're expansions but.. I have no recollection of purchasing them.
    It's likely that at the time you joined the game, using the method you used to join in 2010, you got credit for buying the expansions. If when you look at the LotRO Store, all you see available for expansions are Isengard and Rohan, then you already have Moria and Mirkwood. This leaves you completely set for content from level 50 to 65.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>