We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Odd Background, Lore-Break?

Hi all! Im new to lotro rp, though do have experience in rp on another mmo.

I want to make an elf with a seeming very different background. At the same time, I dont want to #### the lore.
    Here is the gist: While a group of elves are heading west, they are ambushed by orcs somewhere in Rohan. A Rohan warband comes at the last minute, but by then, the elves were all slain. My elf toon, a baby then, ends up as the only survivor because his mom hides him before she is slain. So the elf gets raised by a Rohan man with no family of his own in an impoverished small town.

I'm not saying not to go with this, because I personally think you could make something interesting with it, but you will have to keep in mind:

1. The people of Rohan are suspicious and don't trust the elves.
    2. Elves take longer to mature than humans so human parents could be elderly while elf is just reaching adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by dryope View Post
    I'm not saying not to go with this, because I personally think you could make something interesting with it, but you will have to keep in mind:

1. The people of Rohan are suspicious and don't trust the elves.
    2. Elves take longer to mature than humans so human parents could be elderly while elf is just reaching adulthood.
    Very, very suspicious and distrustful of elves, especially those that have passed through or near to the Golden Wood. So I doubt any of them would willingly choose to adopt an elf. And the human "parents" would more then likely be dead by the time the elf comes of age. Since elves are not usually considered adults until around 100 or so.

?I would never tell anyone how they should or should not rp and I'll not start now. Nor do I mind a little lore bending now and then, since we all have to at times. This however, in my own opinion of course, is more a lore break then lore bending. So if you decide to go with, which is completely your choice, just be prepared for a lot of unhappy people. Its an interesting idea, but not one I would suggest going with.

I think Elves start reaching the more adult years around 50 but are not fully mature in body until 100 iirc... it's been a while since I read LACE.

Along with Rohirrim being suspicious, while they may be good Samaritans and put aside suspicions for an infant, the biggest flaw I see in your backstory is that the Elves would not travel through Rohan to go West xD People travelling between Lorien and Rivendell used mountain passes, usually the Dimrill Dale (blocked by Caradhras' snow ingame, but I've honestly never read that was the case all the time in the book... it did not seem to be, seems to be a Turbine thing to force players to go through Moria). So there's no way they would encounter Rohirrim in the first place.

Could get away with a place in the Lone-lands, perhaps, but in all honesty I cannot see a group of Elves *not* coming by and checking upon the place as soon as the news was heard and then looking for any sort of survivors in the nearby area.

Best of luck to you.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Thank you for the answers!

Simply put, Im trying for an elf raised by humans.
    Lone-Lands is more lore-friendly. More or less, it will be the same. The orcs, after their devastating triumph, wander off. My elf kid, let me make him a little older about 15 sounds a decent age. He runs away from all the fighting, and ends up in an impoverished village. His original adopting parents do die of old age, but the family more or less continues raising him until he is about 60 or 70. He goes off to explore and find out how he ended up where he was.
    Last edited by Nuuma; Sep 15 2013 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuma View Post

Lone-Lands is more lore-friendly. More or less, it will be the same. The orcs, after their devastating triumph, wander off. My elf kid, let me make him a little older about 15 sounds a decent age. He runs away from all the fighting, and ends up in an impoverished village. His original adopting parents do die of old age, but the family more or less continues raising him until he is about 60 or 70. He goes off to explore and find out how he ended up where he was.
    Lone-Lands is better then Rohan yes. Even there though many people who do not have dealing with the elves, so almost anyone apart from the Dunedain, do not completely trust the elves. Having your elf raised by the Rangers might be a better idea. They at least have dealing with elves.

I have to agree with the statement above too, about more elves coming to look for the other party. And many elves can good trackers so would it not be possible that they'd eventually find your elf? Or your elf at 15 would be pretty smart, since elves mature mentally much faster then men, would they not know where home is and want to return to their own people?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuma View Post

Yah, that sounds more probable.

Quote Originally Posted by Meluihel View Post
    ...Or your elf at 15 would be pretty smart, since elves mature mentally much faster then men, would they not know where home is and want to return to their own people?
    Or he will be as well smart enought to find this villager be nice good people & when his akins come for him, he choose to stay with the men cause he like them. Lets not forget he may have 15+ mental age but with a slow growth he will be a very small kid or toodler & is unlikely that he will survive alone in the woods & he will know that so will not venture that far.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Sep 15 2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth