We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Ronnug's Stance on 1v1ing in the Ettenmoors (SoapBox Warning)

Let me first state a fact: The Ettenmoors is an open player vs player zone where any opposing side can attack an incapacitate it's opponent at any time and this is by game design. It is not designed or balanced for single player vs single player.

Now with that said, I have accepted the premise that 1v1's in this game can be legit and even benificial. Vinner enlightened me a long time ago on just how beneficial they can be.

First off, there is no better way to practice and learn how to fight your opposition than to engage in single combat against that opponent, be it Weaver vs Lore Master, Reaver vs Hunter, ect....

Also, there is no better way to learn to mouse turn, strafe or to practice your skill timing.

In general, 1v1ing is a great way to improve your personal experience in the Ettenmoors and another way of challenging oneself.

In my personal opinion, if approached in a sporting fashion, 1v1's are very legit and should have a place in this game.

Now there lies our problem.

Unlike in days of old, most of our so called 1v1er's aren't there for the challenge or to improve their skill. They are there to farm renown/infamy/comms.

However, let me play the Devil's advicate. It is an open pvp zone and there are no rules against using one's Over Powered options or Cooldowns in order to obtain those rewards. In fact, by game design and the designed Overpower issues in this game, it is encouraged.

That brings me back to basic sportsmanship and here are some of the things I question about that huge gray area. In the past, there have been unwritten rules of engagement for different classes.

As Greens and Vinner use to point out, this is largely subjective, depending on the individual player and their rank, equipment, ect.. Greens would point out that you can use any skills you need in order to make a fight close/challenging. On the other hand, not using skills that give you an advantage for the same reason.
    Many times have I been 1v1'ing either of these guys and they disengage and not kill me on purpose when beating me easily (now that's true sportsmanship).

If you come out and are beating the same opponent over and over with ease, then your farming. Which is fine, but don't expect to get a free pass at the 1v1's/GTA and expect to be treated as your treating others. On the other hand, if your agreeing to engage someone that is beating you easily over and over, then your letting them farm you.

Everyone knows that Vic and I love to hate one another and trust me, it's all in fun. But I really enjoy 1v1ing his Hunter with my Reaver. He will not use any CC's and even though he still wins most the engagements, they are always close and challenging.

On the other hand, while this isn't an organized 1v1, there is a Hunter who plays solo primarily and will come out with all the store buffs, will use pots, fall immunity, ect.. who get's upset when he is called out and ganked. He seems to think that because he's solo that others should play by his rules in an open pvp arena.
    I have no problem with him using all the resources available to him but in turn, he needs to respect that I choose not to invest in those same resources and choose an alternative resource of calling in friends to help.

Again, it's subjective, he thinks I'm unsporting for eventually calling him out and getting him ganked in an open pvp arena instead of coming back solo without all those store bought resouces and feeding him renown over and over..

To sum it up, all is fair in a game of love and war and with the present situation of imbalance, 1v1's are about useless for the vast majority of those who now play.. Only a very limited few come to GTA with truely honorable 1v1 intentions. So expect the worst and hope for the best and don't get upset when other's don't play by your rules, no matter what side of the fence your on..
    Ronnug - The Blueberry Reaver on Gladden
    I don't feel a thing when dieing ingame. The only time I really mind is when the rez is on the other side of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by DaxMaxtor View Post

Now with that said, I have accepted the premise that 1v1's in this game can be legit and even benificial. Vinner enlightened me a long time ago on just how beneficial they can be.

As Greens and Vinner use to point out, this is largely subjective, depending on the individual player and their rank, equipment, ect.. Greens would point out that you can use any skills you need in order to make a fight close/challenging. On the other hand, not using skills that give you an advantage for the same reason.
    Many times have I been 1v1'ing either of these guys and they disengage and not kill me on purpose when beating me easily (now that's true sportsmanship).

First off, I appreciate the praise of how I was able to teach you good things about the Moors that were beneficial to you. I'm glad you've been trying to better yourself thru 1v1ing Gun, and I noticed you were getting better when I left. I don't think 1v1s prove as much anymore, but like you said, I think more people use 1v1s to farm points moreso than for challenges, and this was explained in the earlier thread why I believe 1v1s are broken in terms of being good sport and skewed, for me anyway.

The difference between me and Greens is that Greens' philosophy said it's fine using cooldowns to even up a fight to make it the most challenging/close it could be. My philosophy is not using cooldowns at all, so when you do get to a competitive point with your opponent, either thru practice, gear, or rank, you would be able to to provide a better fight for them, perhaps winning moreso than not due to having not needed to rely on cds. This being said, I didn't mind when people used cooldowns on me, it just didn't help them become better imo. The reason a lot of the best 1v1ers at their class (Grimphore, Slashed, Asteris, Nudes, to name a few) became the best at their class imo, is because they stopped relying on cooldowns altogether. I like to think my philosophy is a Jeet Kune Do Bruce Lee esque one hehe . As I said recently, everyone might as well use every cd they have available due to how the Moors is designed now.

In conclusion, both philosophies are good ones to live by in the 1v1 world, but mine's better . Haha na, it's preference, but ofc I like mine better obv.
    Last edited by joshy8910; Sep 14 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaxMaxtor View Post
    On the other hand, if your agreeing to engage someone that is beating you easily over and over, then your letting them farm you.
    This is exactly the problem with Turbine's new rules on farming. How do you define "easily"?

For example, when I 1v1 Clevinger on my reaver w/o delving pots, he beats me 75% of the time. That is heavily in his favor. However, I continue to spar him because I know there are points where he will make a mistake, I will get a lucky crit, I will outmaneuver him, etc. and I will win. But what if we spar 6 times and he wins all 6 by strokes of luck? Is that farming? I would argue no, because on that 7th time one of the above scenarios might happen and I will win, but the concept is this:

Because of the style of the game, certain 1v1s (burgs, hunters, rks especially) center around "kill him before he kills me," which results in very skewed endings. "Very skewed endings" meaning that most of the time, one opponent is going to have a LOT of morale left over if they win. It will look as if one side roflstomped the other, when it may very well have been a close fight and someone just got their big skill off before the other person did. That is not an "easy" win. How are you to determine whether or not it is an "easy" win when the game is so heavily styled like this?
    RIP Milkmefondly 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
    This is exactly the problem with Turbine's new rules on farming. How do you define "easily"?

For example, when I 1v1 Clevinger on my reaver w/o delving pots, he beats me 75% of the time. That is heavily in his favor. However, I continue to spar him because I know there are points where he will make a mistake, I will get a lucky crit, I will outmaneuver him, etc. and I will win. But what if we spar 6 times and he wins all 6 by strokes of luck? Is that farming? I would argue no, because on that 7th time one of the above scenarios might happen and I will win, but the concept is this:

Because of the style of the game, certain 1v1s (burgs, hunters, rks especially) center around "kill him before he kills me," which results in very skewed endings. "Very skewed endings" meaning that most of the time, one opponent is going to have a LOT of morale left over if they win. It will look as if one side roflstomped the other, when it may very well have been a close fight and someone just got their big skill off before the other person did. That is not an "easy" win. How are you to determine whether or not it is an "easy" win when the game is so heavily styled like this?
    I've heard that pretty much every creep uses delving pots in 1v1s now. Is this a RoR thing? I never used delving pots in my life in 1v1s, but to each his own. I always thought they were cheap imo, but I still fought those that did on my freep regardless, even pulling out wins. I never thought they were necessary on creeps.

And thank you for someone that finally understands about skewed 1v1s in this expac.

I see Gunnor that senility has ravaged your logic and thought processes....err what little you had to begin with!

/facepalm

Val
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000006c7ce/01003/signature.png]Valistar[/charsig]
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory, I love only that which it defends" J. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehaven View Post
    I see Gunnor that senility has ravaged your logic and thought processes....err what little you had to begin with!

/facepalm

Val
    Valistar, you are the last person to question someone's logic and thought processes. However, welcome back, ya Bad Santa hillbilly! You can prob go to the moors and see the "wonderful" job Turbine has done to it via your request.

Quote Originally Posted by joshy8910 View Post
    I've heard that pretty much every creep uses delving pots in 1v1s now. Is this a RoR thing? I never used delving pots in my life in 1v1s, but to each his own. I always thought they were cheap imo, but I still fought those that did on my freep regardless, even pulling out wins. I never thought they were necessary on creeps.

And thank you for someone that finally understands about skewed 1v1s in this expac.
    He said "very skewed endings" related in high morale fluctuations depending on who lands or doesn't land their big dps skills. No where in his post did he say skewed 1v1s. Brush up on your reading comprehension.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#C7CF92][img]http://i.imgur.com/9rGw1Yd.gif[/img]
    Misadventure - R14 Hunter, Fatwanda-1 - R10 Guard
    Velvetsixteen - R13 Reaver, Reported - R11 Warg, Gloriousleader - R10 WL[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyrn View Post
    He said "very skewed endings" related in high morale fluctuations depending on who lands or doesn't land their big dps skills. No where in his post did he say skewed 1v1s. Brush up on your reading comprehension.
    Skewed endings still correlates to skewed 1v1s, you knob end. If in the fight there is anything skewed about the 1v1 in this expac, it is a skewed 1v1. Maybe there wouldn't be "skewed endings" as often if there weren't OP buffs? Read between the lines, bud! Wipe the Cajun jizzem outta ya eyes, boy!

I don't know why you constantly insist to berate people and act like you "outsmart" them, Vic. More of your changed bs I've noticed, esp ppl you used to be cool with. You don't outsmart me and never will, so stop trying to.
    Last edited by joshy8910; Sep 19 2013 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshy8910 View Post
    Skewed endings still correlates to skewed 1v1s, you knob end. If in the fight there is anything skewed about the 1v1 in this expac, it is a skewed 1v1. Maybe there wouldn't be "skewed endings" as often if there weren't OP buffs? Read between the lines, bud! Wipe the Cajun jizzem outta ya eyes, boy!

I don't know why you constantly insist to berate people and act like you "outsmart" them, Vic. More of your changed bs I've noticed, esp ppl you used to be cool with. You don't outsmart me and never will, so stop trying to.
    Read the last part of my past post. The "skewed endings" he is referencing would be just the same if every single OP was owned by the delving.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#C7CF92][img]http://i.imgur.com/9rGw1Yd.gif[/img]
    Misadventure - R14 Hunter, Fatwanda-1 - R10 Guard
    Velvetsixteen - R13 Reaver, Reported - R11 Warg, Gloriousleader - R10 WL[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]