We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I must be playing my Guard wrong

I have a 53 Guard that I must be doing something wrong on. If I go into a skirmish level on I usually get creamed in Thievery & Mischief. But when I take my level 40 Warden level on into a skirmish He just flies through it. Is this a class specific problem or is my playing of the guard just clumsy? I have average gear, drops and one or two crafted stuff, virtues are in the 4's. Maybe I don't have the right virtues, class traits? I am lost here to figure it out and at this point thinking of just going with the Warden to continue the game. 3 years ago I use adventure with a guard and a hunter. The guard was awesome and this inspired me to create one. Maybe I am just not getting how to play one? Help needed.

A lot of factors can go into what is happening. Are you using sword and board, or 2Hander? What stance are you using? What type of skirm soldier do you have?

If you're using sword and board, perhaps having an archer or sage as your skirm soldier? If you're using 2Hander and Overpower stance, perhaps an herbalist? Having mitigation and/or mastery scrolls, vit or might food, regen food, etc.. can help as well.

Guards can be quite survivable, so if you're having this much of an issue, there could be something you're missing. No worries though, it took me FOREVER to figure out what in the world I was supposed to be doing. Talking with kinnies, running some group stuff, and talking with other guards can help figure out what is going on.

If you're on Riddermark, I'm always willing to help out with any of my alts.

Good luck, and happy hunting!
    100 Guard 100 Mini 100 Champ 100 RK 100 Cappy 100 Hunter 100 Warden 65 Burg 58 LM ::Officer of Phoenix Rising, Arkenstone:: ; R7 Weaver R5 WL ::Founder of The Moops::

If you're running in overpower stance with a 2-handed weapon, you will lose a lot of survivability. I would use an herbalist soldier for healing.

If you're running in defense or threat stance with a sword and shield, the fights are likely taking a long time, and then enemy is whittling you down slowly. For this I would recommend an archer or warrior soldier to help speed things along.

Another tip is that if you have melee and ranged mobs beating on you, pull the melee mobs over to the ranged, so you can AOE them all down together.

Try to kill mobs in order of lowest health first (unless there's a reason to kill a specific mob first)
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

2 days ago I got my first L.I. and it is a 2 hander. I also use overpower and an herbalist. I don't have any scrolls or food that helps much.

I'd suggest you try to go with a shield instead of a 2h, at least for leutenants and bosses. The fight takes longer, but the improvement in survivability from being able to block is much more significant, esp. when using block stance.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

not to mention that CaB heals much more when in block stance, and warrior's fortitude heals for more, pledge is much more potent, all while in block stance

I've started levelling a 2nd guardian on a different server, first time playing the low level stuff since they introduced s/b op. I found that, at least on the landscape, s/b op was highly comparable to 2h op in dps due to much quicker attack rate, and the survivability(blocks) was much greater. Part of guard play is adapting to the situation(suppose that is true for most any class). If you can mow down a pull w/ 2h, then have at it, if you're having troubles, swap to s/b, if you're still having trouble, drop into defense stance(better block rate and you get back the 30% mit loss from OP), use cab/fortitude/pledge, and survive.

I'd also suggest playing with sword and board and see how it goes. You can still use overpower in sword and board (which is how I like to landscape quest on my guardian). This opens up all your skills for use, except I believe it makes Catch a Breath into a power heal instead of morale heal. Maybe you can stance dance to get the morale heal for Catch a Breath.

For even more defense, go into threat or defense stance - although you will lose some damage skills this way.

You can unslot your legendary 2-hander and slot a 1-handed regular weapon (and heavy shield) instead. You can pick these up at any skirmish camp, or see if a crafter on your server will make you something. If it is your first LI, it will stop gaining XP when you unslot it, but you can always re-slot it when you're done with the skirmish.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Lightbulb

Also, don't forget to level up the traits of your soldier, if he is still level 20 he may want to help you, but he can't do more than tickles those enemies level 53. Be sure to double check that you have equipped all your virtues slots available & they are at least tier 6 to 8 (corresponding to your level). & your class trait, make sure they are consistent with whatever stance & weapon kind you are ussing.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

I am glad to say that following this thread and another on traits my guardian is doing much better now. I feel he can carry his own weight unlike earlier in the game. Thanks to all that offered help I appreciate it.

Thumbs up

You are welcome.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :