We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Sheild of the Hammerhand Overrides Tortoise Stone

    Title says it all - just wanted to let users of the stone know.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,024
    Are you sure? I didn't test it myself, but I did equip it and my XP bar was still grey with the Tortoise Stone in, so I assumed that XP was still disabled.
    Narlinde, level 100 Minstrel, Rank 11, Member of Trucido ~ Windfola

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie-wan View Post
    Are you sure? I didn't test it myself, but I did equip it and my XP bar was still grey with the Tortoise Stone in, so I assumed that XP was still disabled.
    Cloudie, would you test and verify this?

    Its also possible the person was just getting IXP/SXP and got confused.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  4. #4
    Nope, my xp was greyed out, and I levelled anyway.

  5. #5
    That very much sounds like a bug. Make sure to /bug it right away.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadd_EU View Post
    That very much sounds like a bug. Make sure to /bug it right away.
    You might even want to consider asking In-game support for a character rollback if it annoys you that much.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  7. #7
    Lol reread my original post and saw nothing that indicated that I was annoyed I simply wanted to alert other users of the stone that this was happening. And I did bug it at the time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Molochnaya View Post
    Lol reread my original post and saw nothing that indicated that I was annoyed I simply wanted to alert other users of the stone that this was happening. And I did bug it at the time.
    I just know how frustrated I'd be if I accidentally leveled up with my disabler guy =)
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  9. #9
    As it happens, I used it first on one of my low level chars. If it had been my retro raiding char (holding at level 50), I would have been furious. Luck was on my side

  10. #10
    Hi,
    isn't it for max lvl 85?

    Greetings

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-G View Post
    Hi,
    isn't it for max lvl 85?

    Greetings
    The Tortoise stone is the item that disables xp entirely while it's slotted as a pocket item.

  12. #12
    I'm taking a long shot here, but after what I've seen of Turbine and their average bug, it might be possible that these two items interact differently with each other depending on which order they were equipped in. Could anybody test out if this happens regardless of which items gets equipped first?

    Regardless of that, this sounds like something that needs fixing ASAP. I enjoy having Enhanced XP on my Tortoisers for the double IXP that gives, so I can imagine there is some people out there who'd like to use both items at the same time to maximize their IXP gain per level.

  13. #13
    Perhaps they are not supposed to be equipped together? I mean it does seem a bit strange that someone would equip an xp disabler with an xp booster.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellieni View Post
    Perhaps they are not supposed to be equipped together? I mean it does seem a bit strange that someone would equip an xp disabler with an xp booster.
    Some people (myself included) may wish to gain some additional IXP and SXP while not getting any character XP. For that purpose, the pre-order item would be very nice if only it didn't mess up the XP-disabling qualities of the Stone of the Tortoise.

  15. #15
    So, I have indulged a bit after all and bought the Premium pre-order. Having played around with both the Shield of the Hammerhand and the Stone of the Tortoise I found that I indeed get some XP when both items are equipped - but only the 25% extra XP from the shield. (After reading this thread I originally thought I would get 125% XP even with an XP disabler equipped and that certainly would have been a problem.)

    I've now spent a few hours grinding on-level deeds at level 30/31 and 14/15 and I have to say, I actually like the new pace I'm gaining XP with. Before I got the shield I had two options for my XP gain: 0% and 100%. Now, with the shield, I have four: 0%, 25%, 100% and 125%. The wider choice of options is quite nice in fact. Now I can fine-tune my XP gain more easily. So I have to say that I rather like the outcome of having both the shield and the XP disabler available.

    Then I remembered that some people stated on the forums that they would prefer an option to set their XP gain to 25% or 50% or some other value between 0% and 100% and I cannot help but wonder if the combined effects of the Shield of the Hammerhand and the Stone of the Tortoise might not actually be a bug but Turbine's attempt to cater to those people. Even then, it would have been nice if it had been stated somewhere to avoid confusion for those who'd rather stick to 0% XP gain. It would also be more obvious to tie the reduced XP gain to a new Store (or pre-order) item instead of a somewhat obscure combination of two items from two different sources.

    Having said all that, I'd like some feedback from others on whether you'd prefer the shield to be fixed so it does not give any XP when combined with the Stone of the Tortoise or if you'd rather keep it like it is for an extended range of XP gain options. (Keep in mind that the shield might eventually turn up in the in-game as a per-character purchase and not be completely unavailable to people who didn't pre-purchase. At least, that's what we've seen with the XP boost pocket items in the past.) Personally, I rather lean towards keeping the Shield as it is.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    3,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    So, I have indulged a bit after all and bought the Premium pre-order. Having played around with both the Shield of the Hammerhand and the Stone of the Tortoise I found that I indeed get some XP when both items are equipped - but only the 25% extra XP from the shield. (After reading this thread I originally thought I would get 125% XP even with an XP disabler equipped and that certainly would have been a problem.)

    I've now spent a few hours grinding on-level deeds at level 30/31 and 14/15 and I have to say, I actually like the new pace I'm gaining XP with. Before I got the shield I had two options for my XP gain: 0% and 100%. Now, with the shield, I have four: 0%, 25%, 100% and 125%. The wider choice of options is quite nice in fact. Now I can fine-tune my XP gain more easily. So I have to say that I rather like the outcome of having both the shield and the XP disabler available.

    Then I remembered that some people stated on the forums that they would prefer an option to set their XP gain to 25% or 50% or some other value between 0% and 100% and I cannot help but wonder if the combined effects of the Shield of the Hammerhand and the Stone of the Tortoise might not actually be a bug but Turbine's attempt to cater to those people. Even then, it would have been nice if it had been stated somewhere to avoid confusion for those who'd rather stick to 0% XP gain. It would also be more obvious to tie the reduced XP gain to a new Store (or pre-order) item instead of a somewhat obscure combination of two items from two different sources.

    Having said all that, I'd like some feedback from others on whether you'd prefer the shield to be fixed so it does not give any XP when combined with the Stone of the Tortoise or if you'd rather keep it like it is for an extended range of XP gain options. (Keep in mind that the shield might eventually turn up in the in-game as a per-character purchase and not be completely unavailable to people who didn't pre-purchase. At least, that's what we've seen with the XP boost pocket items in the past.) Personally, I rather lean towards keeping the Shield as it is.
    My guess is that it's a simple bug, not a feature. All previous XP enabler/disabler items were pocket, so not possible to wear two at once. So they made the new item, tested it for XP gain, it passed, and got rolled out. Wasn't tested in conjunction with disablers. Whoops.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    My guess is that it's a simple bug, not a feature
    I agree with that, but I find that I rather like the way this particular bug works out for my characters. So I thought I'd test the waters on the forums to see how others feel about the idea of turning this specific bug into a feature. There were some people asking for a reduced XP gain rate that was not 0%. It's a bug that only affects a small portion of the player-base anyway (only those who use the XP disabler and have the Shield of the Hammerhand available). All said and done, I could live with this bug being fixed and going back to how things were before (I'd still use the shield for the additional IXP), but I could live even better with it not being fixed and having an option for super-slow but continous levelling.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    Having said all that, I'd like some feedback from others on whether you'd prefer the shield to be fixed so it does not give any XP when combined with the Stone of the Tortoise or if you'd rather keep it like it is for an extended range of XP gain options. (Keep in mind that the shield might eventually turn up in the in-game as a per-character purchase and not be completely unavailable to people who didn't pre-purchase. At least, that's what we've seen with the XP boost pocket items in the past.) Personally, I rather lean towards keeping the Shield as it is.
    I'd like it that if I purchase and equip an xp disabler, then xp is disabled.

  19. #19
    I had it on, my bar was grey, I was like 10 pts from level but had put that stupid shield on and it screwed up my plan when I made 10 ingots of some material or another. So, it definitely does override for at least crafting exp.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UNKNOWN
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellieni View Post
    Perhaps they are not supposed to be equipped together? I mean it does seem a bit strange that someone would equip an xp disabler with an xp booster.
    That is not unlike drinking a pot of coffee and taking a Valium.
    "I want to stay up and get more work done, but I don't want to remember any of it."

    Good job finding that bug, OP!!
    Last edited by Damian6988; Sep 19 2013 at 05:42 PM.
    'Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein'
    the Ministry

  21. #21
    It is not strange to want to equip the Shield of the Hammerhand and the Tortoise Stone at the same time. For lower level toons, the shield is better than any available cloaks, and since it comes with stats like a cloak, cannot be considered only an xp booster.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian6988 View Post
    That is not unlike drinking a pot of coffee and taking a Valium.
    "I want to stay up and get more work done, but I don't want to remember any of it."
    This is my new favorite quote, would you mind if I put it in my signature?

    As for the problem with xp gain, /bug it and if you don't want to gain xp on those characters, don't equip the cloak until it gets fixed. Not a great solution, but the only one you're going to have.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UNKNOWN
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainith View Post
    This is my new favorite quote, would you mind if I put it in my signature?

    As for the problem with xp gain, /bug it and if you don't want to gain xp on those characters, don't equip the cloak until it gets fixed. Not a great solution, but the only one you're going to have.
    LOL, Sure, go ahead, i dont mind.
    'Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein'
    the Ministry

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    So, I have indulged a bit after all and bought the Premium pre-order. Having played around with both the Shield of the Hammerhand and the Stone of the Tortoise I found that I indeed get some XP when both items are equipped - but only the 25% extra XP from the shield. (After reading this thread I originally thought I would get 125% XP even with an XP disabler equipped and that certainly would have been a problem.)

    I've now spent a few hours grinding on-level deeds at level 30/31 and 14/15 and I have to say, I actually like the new pace I'm gaining XP with. Before I got the shield I had two options for my XP gain: 0% and 100%. Now, with the shield, I have four: 0%, 25%, 100% and 125%. The wider choice of options is quite nice in fact. Now I can fine-tune my XP gain more easily. So I have to say that I rather like the outcome of having both the shield and the XP disabler available.

    Then I remembered that some people stated on the forums that they would prefer an option to set their XP gain to 25% or 50% or some other value between 0% and 100% and I cannot help but wonder if the combined effects of the Shield of the Hammerhand and the Stone of the Tortoise might not actually be a bug but Turbine's attempt to cater to those people. Even then, it would have been nice if it had been stated somewhere to avoid confusion for those who'd rather stick to 0% XP gain. It would also be more obvious to tie the reduced XP gain to a new Store (or pre-order) item instead of a somewhat obscure combination of two items from two different sources.

    Having said all that, I'd like some feedback from others on whether you'd prefer the shield to be fixed so it does not give any XP when combined with the Stone of the Tortoise or if you'd rather keep it like it is for an extended range of XP gain options. (Keep in mind that the shield might eventually turn up in the in-game as a per-character purchase and not be completely unavailable to people who didn't pre-purchase. At least, that's what we've seen with the XP boost pocket items in the past.) Personally, I rather lean towards keeping the Shield as it is.
    Thank you for posting the numbers on the combinations. That's helpful to know.

    I do like that we could choose a tier for XP gain rate, so for those who want to use the combined items as such before the bug gets fixed, this is an option. It's not WAI, though, so it's a temporary mechanism to do such.

    For folks who group, the issue as to whether to keep the shield as is means that everyone in that group would be forced to get the item so the group could level together in the easiest fashion. (I don't remember if it's going to be available in the store, just that people assumed it would be in time--but my memory is not perfect by far.) So on that note, I'd have to say I don't want the shield's stat description to change/stay working as is. The item should do what it claims to do.

    Now, if they wanted to introduce alternate items with different % gains beyond what we currently have, I'm all for that.
    Club Éclair-Second Servings members are at 19 trainings or below.
    I can't fit all my Tortoise Stone Bearers in my sig anymore.
    This August will be our 7th Annual Month a' the Chicken on Landy!

  25. #25
    Just in case anybody was wondering, after today's update and maintenance characters still get 25% XP when both the Shield of the Hammerhand and the Stone of the Tortoise are equipped. (I even un-equipped and re-equipped both items to make certain this didn't change.) The tool-tip for both the shield and its buff icon are unchanged. This probably just means that Turbine didn't get around to fixing it yet, whichever way they'll eventually fix it.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload