We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best Way to Spend 2500 TP for New Player?

Hi all.

I am just about to create my character after purchasing a monthly subscription and the Mithril Edition [Digital Download]. That gives me 2500 points.

My question is, like a kid with pocket money, what would be the wisest way to use these points.

I am 95% most likely to create an Elf Hunter on one of the most populated RP servers. If none of the RP servers are very well populated then it will just be the Landroval Server (most posts on the forum leads me to believe it's well populated).

I will be playing solo (don't know other players) so a chatty community would be nice.

What would be the best way of spending 2500 points or should I save them?

Best way to use points for someone who doesn't plan on subscribing is for quest packs and expansions. I'd save your points until you establish which ones you want and potentially wait for those to go on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Best way to use points for someone who doesn't plan on subscribing is for quest packs and expansions. I'd save your points until you establish which ones you want and potentially wait for those to go on sale.
    Mucho Gracias my friend

I'd save your points until you establish which ones you want and potentially wait for those to go on sale.
    Totally solid advice there.

The biggest mistake some people make is to rush into spending the points before they understand what's what in the game and where best to spend them for their own best benefit.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

As someone who is very stingy with spending TPs (and real money), this is what I would do.
    a) create 5 characters during your VIP period, use all 5 character slots, and make 5 characters of your choice and then you can choose your favourite character as your main, also decide on your 2 side characters) (you will need to delete 2 after the VIP period, but you can use the 2 to farm TPs in the mean time (Ered Luin quests, Shire slayers come to mind) use your rep items to get Reputation Deeds (potentially 50 TPs per faction). Make sure you done all you can do with your 2 characters to be deleted before the VIP period end.

b) after VIP period ends you will be downgraded to premium and only 3 character slot. optionally delete the 2 locked characters, (if you are an altaholic, don't delete the characters, but instead invest in a character slot upgrade... A character created during VIP period has a lot of things unlocked and has about 1000+ TPs worth of upgrades on them) I don't know if you still need to get your char to lvl 20 to get the riding skills unlocked for you during VIP, but you definately want to make sure your Main is at least lvl 20 before the VIP period ends.

c) Time to buy quest packs (during 30% sales period price quoted is before discount)
    Level 30: get Evendim (495 TPs, unlocks the Annuminas instances). You may choose to also get Northdown (495) but it is group content heavy)
    Level 40: toss up between Eregion or Angmar (495-595 TPs) (i personally prefer Angmar but it is very group content heavy so you will need a group to get the full value of Angmar (unless you have a lvl 85 friend to carry you). I disliked Forochel/Misty Mountains (the only 2 QPs i don't own) but that's just my opinion
    Level 50: Moria. Try to get the expansion, it's worth more than buying each item separately (2k TPs?) . (you get 2 extra classes, 2 extra character slots, and lots of instances, (you can potentially easily earn ~1.5k TPs from the moria deeds alone)
    Level 60: Lothlorien is very content-light. I personally prefer Enedwaith (695) and Mirkwood (795) eventhough they are meant for lvl 65s
    Level 70: Great River (795) / Isengard (1.3k) . I own Isengard but personally i don't think the Dunland quests gives more value than Rohan, I would keep my TPs for Rohan.
    Level 80: Definately Rohan (1.3k) quest packs. Since HD is coming out, i don't think the Rohan Instances will give you much value. The only reason why i run the Raids is just to help kinnies unlock deeds for their First Age weapons. (so i would prefer just getting the QP and skipping the the instance pack)

d) If you are willing to spend 40 dollars more, there is a good sale going on right now here at https://store.lotro.com/en/expansion...adpack-bundle/ That would pretty much cover almost all your TP purchase needs listed above (except for quests for lvl 30-50) and you can use your TPs more freely for more skirmishes, and potentially buy the HD expansion quests with TPs when it is released. (you would have earned ~2k TPs by the time a character reaches lvl 85 (without excessive grinding and expansion pack prices is worth about 4k TP...

Quote Originally Posted by jaecynt View Post
    As someone who is very stingy with spending TPs (and real money), this is what I would do.
    a) create 5 characters during your VIP period, use all 5 character slots, and make 5 characters of your choice and then you can choose your favourite character as your main, also decide on your 2 side characters) (you will need to delete 2 after the VIP period, but you can use the 2 to farm TPs in the mean time (Ered Luin quests, Shire slayers come to mind) use your rep items to get Reputation Deeds (potentially 50 TPs per faction). Make sure you done all you can do with your 2 characters to be deleted before the VIP period end.

b) after VIP period ends you will be downgraded to premium and only 3 character slot. optionally delete the 2 locked characters, (if you are an altaholic, don't delete the characters, but instead invest in a character slot upgrade... A character created during VIP period has a lot of things unlocked and has about 1000+ TPs worth of upgrades on them) I don't know if you still need to get your char to lvl 20 to get the riding skills unlocked for you during VIP, but you definately want to make sure your Main is at least lvl 20 before the VIP period ends.

c) Time to buy quest packs (during 30% sales period price quoted is before discount)
    Level 30: get Evendim (495 TPs, unlocks the Annuminas instances). You may choose to also get Northdown (495) but it is group content heavy)
    Level 40: toss up between Eregion or Angmar (495-595 TPs) (i personally prefer Angmar but it is very group content heavy so you will need a group to get the full value of Angmar (unless you have a lvl 85 friend to carry you). I disliked Forochel/Misty Mountains (the only 2 QPs i don't own) but that's just my opinion
    Level 50: Moria. Try to get the expansion, it's worth more than buying each item separately (2k TPs?) . (you get 2 extra classes, 2 extra character slots, and lots of instances, (you can potentially easily earn ~1.5k TPs from the moria deeds alone)
    Level 60: Lothlorien is very content-light. I personally prefer Enedwaith (695) and Mirkwood (795) eventhough they are meant for lvl 65s
    Level 70: Great River (795) / Isengard (1.3k) . I own Isengard but personally i don't think the Dunland quests gives more value than Rohan, I would keep my TPs for Rohan.
    Level 80: Definately Rohan (1.3k) quest packs. Since HD is coming out, i don't think the Rohan Instances will give you much value. The only reason why i run the Raids is just to help kinnies unlock deeds for their First Age weapons. (so i would prefer just getting the QP and skipping the the instance pack)

d) If you are willing to spend 40 dollars more, there is a good sale going on right now here at https://store.lotro.com/en/expansion...adpack-bundle/ That would pretty much cover almost all your TP purchase needs listed above (except for quests for lvl 30-50) and you can use your TPs more freely for more skirmishes, and potentially buy the HD expansion quests with TPs when it is released. (you would have earned ~2k TPs by the time a character reaches lvl 85 (without excessive grinding and expansion pack prices is worth about 4k TP...
    Thank you for the detailed and helpful post.

I am considering the Quad Pack so I appreciate you tacking that on at the end.

I don't have a kin or anything like that I might avoid the group heavy Exp Packs.

Since he has the Mithril Edition, he already owns Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria (quest pack, not expansion), and Lothlorien. The only two quest packs he should need outside of expansions would be Evendim, which would bring him to 40-42, and something to fill the gap between the Trollshaws and Eregion, which would be either Angmar or Forochel. This is assuming the OP is only going VIP for a month though. If OP intends to keep VIP going, don't buy quest packs.

Jae's points on VIP are spot on though. You unlock a lot by playing a character when you're VIP that will continue to be unlocked even when dropping your subscription. You should definitely create any toons you intend to ever make while you're VIP and make sure you log into them at least once.

Since he has the Mithril Edition, he already owns Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria (quest pack, not expansion), and Lothlorien. The only two quest packs he should need outside of expansions would be Evendim, which would bring him to 40-42, and something to fill the gap between the Trollshaws and Eregion, which would be either Angmar or Forochel. This is assuming the OP is only going VIP for a month though. If OP intends to keep VIP going, don't buy quest packs.

Jae's points on VIP are spot on though. You unlock a lot by playing a character when you're VIP that will continue to be unlocked even when dropping your subscription. You should definitely create any toons you intend to ever make while you're VIP and make sure you log into them at least once.
    So, is it worth buying the Quad Pack on sale if I have the Mithril Edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Galengrist View Post
    So, is it worth buying the Quad Pack on sale if I have the Mithril Edition?
    Yes.

Sure, the Mithril Edition gives you the quests and instances in Moria, but the Quad Pack will give you the Expansion, thus adding two character slots along with the Rune-keeper and the Warden classes.
    That's without considering that it also gives the Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard and Riders of Rohan expansions. That is a good deal. With the Quad Pack and Mithril Edition you only need one or two quest packs to have content covering all the way to lvl 85.

Personally, I like having as much as possible, so I buy questpacks when I have the points and they're on sale, even if I don't "need" them.

Other things to keep an eye out for with regards to TP, not all of these are "purchase now", some are more along the line of "you might want this down the line":
    Shared Storage - allows you to transfer Account-bound items between characters.
    Premium Wallet - long term the single most cost-efficient storage upgrade, since there are a ton of barter items post-Moria that will take up space otherwise.
    Crafting Guild Access - if you enjoy crafting and want to progress in standing with the guild, you'll want this, but wait and see what crafts (if any) holds your fancy.

Also: Someone said upthread that you should create 5 characters while VIP, but you'd have to delete two when VIP runs out. That is not quite true. You will have to lock two characters. They are not deleted, but completely unavailable until you have enough character slots again. This is a very good way to make sure a stable of alts all have VIP benefits (all trait slots unlocked, swift-travel access etc). Create them and log them in during VIP time, when you want to play one of the ones you've locked, purchase a character slot and have at it.

Lol.. *Dope Slaps self* Then i guess the only thing needed would be Something to fill in the gap from lvl 30-40 (Evendim probably, I hated Trollshaws as a level 30) and lvl 65-85 (Enedwaith, Great River, Rohan QP comes to mind) I don't think there is a real gap between Evendim (assuming he purchases Evendim) and Eregion. Although he might need to do a few skirmishes to get the last few levels.

Side note: don't worry about the group contents. Unless you prefer to play solo you shouldn't have too much problems getting a group or into a kin if you subscribe to GLFF (or the equivalent of that for the server (ask in /advice or /regional to find out) (/joinchannel glff) (then /1 to talk on that channel, you can have up to 4 user channels). Some GLFFs are more chatty than others, so you might want to join the larger servers if you want a livelier community. I am from Imladis, and it's very quiet unless our resident trolls are no longer banned and and are logged on. If you need help or advice don't worry about asking in the glff channels, generally, players in the game are helpful although once in a while you will find the occasional troll.

Do consider joining a kin, but choose one that suits your needs. As an officer of a kin, I prefer to ask prospective members what they look for in a kin, and recommend other kins that would better fulfill their needs.

Good luck and have fun in LOTRO. Hope you enjoy your many slayings of Orcs and goblins (also in case you didn't alreayd know.. you unlock monster play at lvl 10, and you can create monster characters to hunt hobbits/elves/dwarves and men, but usually i stay away from PvP... i find that the players in PvP tend to be a lot more competitive and egoistical at times.

though i love great river as a questpack, it won't get you enough xp to get to rohan, so unless you wanna grind out those lvl's in skirmishes i'd go for the isengard questpack (dunland) for 65-75... for the rest i agree with all above, though if you don't plan on lvl-ing alts anytime soon and lvl fast in your month of vip, you could skip maybe the evendim questpack

Quote Originally Posted by Flixxer View Post
    though i love great river as a questpack, it won't get you enough xp to get to rohan, so unless you wanna grind out those lvl's in skirmishes i'd go for the isengard questpack (dunland) for 65-75... for the rest i agree with all above, though if you don't plan on lvl-ing alts anytime soon and lvl fast in your month of vip, you could skip maybe the evendim questpack
    Guys, taking your advice about making my alts I have just established -

Main - Elf Hunter - Landroval - Galengristien
    Alt - Dwarf Guardian - Laurelin - Dunaiin
    Alt - Elf Lore Master - Laurelin - Galenborn

As VIP do you get 5 character slots per server?

Quote Originally Posted by jaecynt View Post
    ...after VIP period ends you will be downgraded to premium and only 3 character slot. optionally delete the 2 locked characters...
    Extra characters created during the VIP time dont get deleted when you go back to premioum, they only get locked till you open more character slots when you can acceses them again. In the event that you took love to 1 of those extras & have been delete, you can undelete them free if you are VIP & with a little money if you are premium.

Yes. You'll have to lock two if you drop to Premium (they'll still exist but you won't be able to log on to them) but that still currently leaves you room for two on Landroval and one on Laurelin without having to lock any.

Yes. When your VIP time is up, you lose 2 character slots. The game will ask you which characters you want to lock. If you subscribe again, or otherwise obtain more character slots, you can regain access to your locked characters.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

If you buy the expansion packs outside the game then maybe you might consider using the points to buy the mount speed increase. It's 2995 points but the extra could come from the packs, deeds or extra bought. The speed increase makes all mounts have a +78% speed (instead of 32/62/68% depending on the mount) and apply to every character on your account. It also grants every character the boost straight away.

Alternatively there's the Universal Toolkit at 125 points which I consider a great purchase. That's available now (if your server has reached 1.75 million donations) for 30 Bounder Tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonBladeEU View Post
    If you buy the expansion packs outside the game then maybe you might consider using the points to buy the mount speed increase. It's 2995 points but the extra could come from the packs, deeds or extra bought. The speed increase makes all mounts have a +78% speed (instead of 32/62/68% depending on the mount) and apply to every character on your account. It also grants every character the boost straight away.
    This is kind of a fluff item. I'd save this until you're sure you don't need anything with your points.

Alternatively there's the Universal Toolkit at 125 points which I consider a great purchase. That's available now (if your server has reached 1.75 million donations) for 30 Bounder Tokens.
    This, on the other hand, is a great item. Pretty cheap if you get it from the Store, and if you have account storage (which you should for a little while at least, since you're a VIP temporarily?) you can use the one toolkit for crafting on all your toons.

This is a nice deal. Note that the toolkit you get for tokens is Bind on Acquire. I don't know if that's character bound or account bound, though. But since the Bounder's Tokens are account shared, you should buy them with the crafting character just to be sure.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

(which you should for a little while at least, since you're a VIP temporarily?)
    Shared storage is NOT a VIP perk. Only 20 slots of wardrobe access.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

More notes:

You can buy the mithral edition whenever you want, that will give you premium perks (what little there are) plus all the goodies. VIP is timed, so you should delay that while you don't need/want it enough. I am presently trying to avoid buying Evendim by rushing through my thong of characters (bought the boxed Moria edition so I have two new characters plus an extra slot) through Evendim + whatever else I need to get to Moria that hasn't been included with the Mithril Edition while I am VIP.

I have no idea if this is a long term good idea (I expect I will be back for deed grinding. I don't expect everybody to manage basic deed plus an extra to start advanced on every deed). But it seems that I should at least try to get to Moria before making long term decisions about how those TP need to be spent.

Finally note that the difference between mapping your character to 85-95-base_of_Mount_Doom with the quad pack and without is huge. Without the quad pack you will likely be buying little more than the quest packs to most of those expansions, or possibly only the "bypass" quest pack. With the expansions you will need only to fill the holes between them.

This is kind of a fluff item. I'd save this until you're sure you don't need anything with your points.
    You're probably right because I'm a lifetime subscriber so I don't see all those little things that I'd already have. I've had my eye on the mount speed increase since it came out though. Once my next stipend comes in I'll have enough to buy it. Considering the amount of riding about I do It'll be useful.

This is also a drop in the hobbit presents (can't remember if it's silver or gold). I suggest before purchasing this, to try your luck on the presents first. If it doesn't drop for you, then go ahead and buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2099 View Post
    This is also a drop in the hobbit presents (can't remember if it's silver or gold). I suggest before purchasing this, to try your luck on the presents first. If it doesn't drop for you, then go ahead and buy it.
    I'm pretty sure the one I got dropped from a silver present.

As to the TP usage, if you have some left, by now you have probably figured out that you will want it to buy storage next time that goes on sale.