We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 265
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    Really? I was under the impression it was about the fun of playing with 12 other kinmates. Completing some difficult content AND getting a reward for doing it. But when all is said and done people remember more funny moments than remember what drops in the chest.

    Can they tell you about the time that x happened? Yes

    Can they tell you what dropped in the third chest of OD and who won it? no unless someone won some extraordinary item.

    I'm glad to see the stereotyping hasn't stopped amongst the cynics.
    That was an ironic counter question to the question.

    The actual reason why people like to raid or group will differ from person to person. From my experience in WOW though quite a good portion of people is mostly motivated by the loot.

    Quite frankly i am motivated by loot too hence why i'd like the gear equality power wise between play styles. I simply don't care how someone else gets their loot as long as i got a shot with my playstyle too.
    Nothing here matters.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    That was an ironic counter question to the question.

    The actual reason why people like to raid or group will differ from person to person. From my experience in WOW though quite a good portion of people is mostly motivated by the loot.

    Quite frankly i am motivated by loot too hence why i'd like the gear equality power wise between play styles. I simply don't care how someone else gets their loot as long as i got a shot with my playstyle too.
    As a 5 year wow player I can tell you that loot was only a motivating factor as it was a means to an end. One simply did not walk into Ice Crown Citadel hard mode with quest blues. You see we used the loot from Naxx, Ulduar, and the ICC 5mans to get into the harder content, not to stand around Dalaran bragging about it.

    As someone that completed ICC hard mode I can tell you the gear helped. Can I remeber a single piece of it? No.

    I can't even remember a single drop from TOO and I spent alot of time in there. Oh look something for a burg, oh look something for a warden. Past that the names escape me.

  3. #78
    that's what I thought, which is why I never bothered getting one.

    which brings me to my next point. just because I play my warden well doesn't mean everybody else in the raid plays their characters well. I always found BFE to be very healer intensive. if you don't have good healers the raid fails. I tried it a few times on my RK healer it was difficult but I never wiped T1 while healing.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    The interesting question to me is whether:

    Raiders stopped playing/raiding so Turbine began to figure out other ways to distribute raid-quality loot among the playerbase.

    --or--

    Turbine began using other means to distribute raid-quality loot among the playerbase which caused raiders to stop playing/raiding.

    --H

    P.S. I also wonder if there's still hope of the Rift ever scaling to level cap.
    A better way to ask the question would probably be:

    There is no new raid-content being made because raiders have stopped playing.
    or
    Raiders have stopped playing because there is no new raid-content being made.

    Either way it makes me sad. I know Turbine has stated the raiding-part of the community is in the single-digit% and pretty stable (Not sure if this has ben confirmed after RoR though). But i just wish there where enough funds to develop content for every playstyle. Many players enjoy all (or at least almost all) content, but some only a smaller part. If possible we should encourage Turbine to make everyones stay in LotRO as fun as possible. Saying 'it costs to much to do a raid and there are only 9% doing them' might cost us all a 'fortune' in content in the long run.

    What will be the next:

    'It cost to much to do X and only 9% runs them'? Festivals? 3-mans? 6-mans? Your guess is as good as mine...

    It's a slippery path for sure and it puts my future lotro-experiance at risk. Ok, i don't raid or do festivals right now and enjoy other parts of the game. But maybe i would love to start in a year or two, just to by then realize there is nothing left to raid and no festivals to visit. It's a dangerous thing to only talk about (and demand focus on) content you want to see in the light of what you might enjoy today. Never forget there is (hopefully) also a tomorrow...

    I hope there is something in the Epic-Battle system which can be of some fun and a rewarding challenge to the raiding-community. I really do.

    Regards
    /T
    Dawarad HNT | Dawadan MIN | Dawfast CMP | Dawaran CPT | Dawmur GRD | Dawared WRD | Dawagrim RK | Dawaras LM | Daweric BRG | Dawagar MIN | Dawarar CMP | Dawnakh WRG | Dawbag BA | Dawgil WVR | Dawglob WL |

  5. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcrest View Post
    HEY her we GO
    LOTRO for 6 years HAD raids!!
    Lotro dropping raids
    Raiders feel slighted

    What the hell is so hard to understand here?????? Should of labeled post ONLY RAIDERS REPLY PLEASE! No I gotta get Circle 7 and their sisters to comment around the original point and start arguments???
    THIS IS WHY IN MY 6 YEARS I STAYED AWAY FROM THESE FORUMS, total stupidity
    To be completely frank true raiders are a very very small percentage of the player base. Back when there where more challenging raids, the content was constantly being nerfed because only a very small percentage of the customers could access it. As a business Turbine was investing thousands of man hours in labor in developing content that was rarely (comparatively) accessed. Then had to spend more thousands of man hours in labor to rework the content so it was accessible, it was not a sustainable business model.

    If you only want to raid, this is not the game you are looking for. You are free to go about your business.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000bd0ff/signature.png]Aidus[/charsig]

    "Live and Let Die"

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    As a 5 year wow player I can tell you that loot was only a motivating factor as it was a means to an end. One simply did not walk into Ice Crown Citadel hard mode with quest blues. You see we used the loot from Naxx, Ulduar, and the ICC 5mans to get into the harder content, not to stand around Dalaran bragging about it.

    As someone that completed ICC hard mode I can tell you the gear helped. Can I remeber a single piece of it? No.

    I can't even remember a single drop from TOO and I spent alot of time in there. Oh look something for a burg, oh look something for a warden. Past that the names escape me.
    I was only in a casual raiding guild back then only beat LK normal. And i tottaly believe you're a good guy and your guild only did raids for having a good time. But seriously you can't remember the people standing around in the main cities showing off their leet gear.
    The gold pugs being done, the general abuse in a 5 man by some if others weren't raid geared. The general doom and gloom once LFD and the barter system came out ? The gear score fiasco ? Getting legendaries just to pwn the arena ?

    I would wager guilds that full cleared ICC hard mode were an exception not the rule.
    Last edited by Thorwyn99; Sep 17 2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Nothing here matters.

  7. #82
    Attention everyone please try to stay positive in this thread while still asking questions.
    This way this thread will keep growing we don't want Mods to lock and close this thread if some players come in here and bash devs and other players etc.

    So far all great job and please keep this positive so maybe when this thread keeps getting read and more players sign agree with it, Turbine will comment on some of our valid concerns.

    ty


    thanks for the feedback all.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    A better way to ask the question would probably be:

    There is no new raid-content being made because raiders have stopped playing.
    or
    Raiders have stopped playing because there is no new raid-content being made.

    Either way it makes me sad. I know Turbine has stated the raiding-part of the community is in the single-digit% and pretty stable (Not sure if this has ben confirmed after RoR though). But i just wish there where enough funds to develop content for every playstyle. Many players enjoy all (or at least almost all) content, but some only a smaller part. If possible we should encourage Turbine to make everyones stay in LotRO as fun as possible. Saying 'it costs to much to do a raid and there are only 9% doing them' might cost us all a 'fortune' in content in the long run.

    What will be the next:

    'It cost to much to do X and only 9% runs them'? Festivals? 3-mans? 6-mans? Your guess is as good as mine...

    It's a slippery path for sure and it puts my future lotro-experiance at risk. Ok, i don't raid or do festivals right now and enjoy other parts of the game. But maybe i would love to start in a year or two, just to by then realize there is nothing left to raid and no festivals to visit. It's a dangerous thing to only talk about (and demand focus on) content you want to see in the light of what you might enjoy today. Never forget there is (hopefully) also a tomorrow...

    I hope there is something in the Epic-Battle system which can be of some fun and a rewarding challenge to the raiding-community. I really do.

    Regards
    /T
    Very True, but imo as long as you're at the whim of a profit based company it's best to enjoy things now while they last and not worry too much about tommorrow. As long as money is involved it will always be thing that is followed :P

    And yep i hope the Epic battles work out for everyone, so far it seems they get dismissed right away alot though.
    Nothing here matters.

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    There is no new raid-content being made because raiders have stopped playing.
    or
    Raiders have stopped playing because there is no new raid-content being made.
    I don't think 'new' is the word to use, but perhaps instead 'good', 'engaging' and 'rewarding' (and rewarding can mean getting a nice sense of accomplishment ).

    The truth is somewhere in the middle probably. The long drought after BG didn't help, but raiding was still solid in OD, and mostly ToO and then came RoR with delayed, fewer and not as enjoyable content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    But seriously you can't remember the people standing around in the main cities showing off their leet gear.
    Unless they specifically stated that they were standing there to show off, how do you know they were doing so. Perhaps they were in game talking with others, afk, whatever. Should they have carried around some starter armor to don so they could be present anywhere in the game without it being assumed they were 'showing off'? I've never understood how someone simply wearing the gear they have, standing anywhere in the game for whatever reason is taken as showing off.
    [url]http://wanderingthroughdigitalworlds.wordpress.com/[/url]

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothirieth View Post
    Unless they specifically stated that they were standing there to show off, how do you know they were doing so. Perhaps they were in game talking with others, afk, whatever. Should they have carried around some starter armor to don so they could be present anywhere in the game without it being assumed they were 'showing off'? I've never understood how someone simply wearing the gear they have, standing anywhere in the game for whatever reason is taken as showing off.
    Well because they were standing in the middle of the bridge or stairs stating to look at them and linking their gear lol. The naked dancing elves were way more interesting though, actually i miss ironforge bridge.
    Nothing here matters.

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    Well because they were standing in the middle of the bridge or stairs stating to look at them and linking their gear lol.
    Fair enough, those people were. And there will always be those sorts in every game, but I'm pretty positive they're not the majority. Otherwise you'd see LOTS more people gear linking.
    [url]http://wanderingthroughdigitalworlds.wordpress.com/[/url]

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    Wait a sec i thought it was about the challenge, not the loot ?
    I don't think I've ever made that argument.

    But, it can be both challenge and loot.

    Raiding was the endgame mechanic for subscription-based games. Subscription-based games made their money by creating compelling content and having its players work their way through it until they reached the "endgame" content that was both very challenging, highly rewarding (loot), and (key!) repeatable. That kept players busy until the next batch of content could be released.

    LotRO is now a different sort of game. They make their money in other ways. And I'd guess that they've gradually abandoned the model described above because it's no longer necessary or even cost-effective for them.

    I miss the LotRO that once was. . . and I wish the conversion to Free-to-Play hadn't been necessary. But it was. And it is.

    The old subscription-based model tended to attract players who wanted to earn what they achieved through actually playing the game. As such, the concept of the best loot being reserved for raiding and raiding alone did not trouble many during that era of the game. And so neither did the challenge of it all. In fact, they complemented each other. The challenge was made more fun by the loot. And the loot was made more valuable and rewarding by the challenge of obtaining it.

    We're now in a wholly different era. Free-to-play clearly leads to a more casual playerbase. And we see heretofore unfathomable arguments deconstructing even the concept of "challenge" and the principle that the greatest challenge should lead to the greatest rewards. As such, we're now in the era of "however I choose to play should entitle me to whatever rewards I want" (seriously, I've seen that argued). . . and that's unrecognizable as a game to me, personally. But it's the inevitable effect of this business model that actively encourages people to think of vast swaths of the game as "optional" so long as you're willing to buy your way around them. Which, again, makes this game unrecognizable to me and draws in an entirely different type of player than those who thrived on raiding (and the subscription model) prior.

    --H
    "Ephemeral" does not mean what I think it means.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothirieth View Post
    Fair enough, those people were. And there will always be those sorts in every game, but I'm pretty positive they're not the majority. Otherwise you'd see LOTS more people gear linking.
    I agree they're not and it did not really bother me, actually i don't think i've seen such in Lotro at least not that i could remember. But I just used them as an example.
    Nothing here matters.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    I don't think I've ever made that argument.

    But, it can be both challenge and loot.

    Raiding was the endgame mechanic for subscription-based games. Subscription-based games made their money by creating compelling content and having its players work their way through it until they reached the "endgame" content that was both very challenging, highly rewarding (loot), and (key!) repeatable. That kept players busy until the next batch of content could be released.

    LotRO is now a different sort of game. They make their money in other ways. And I'd guess that they've gradually abandoned the model described above because it's no longer necessary or even cost-effective for them.

    I miss the LotRO that once was. . . and I wish the conversion to Free-to-Play hadn't been necessary. But it was. And it is.

    The old subscription-based model tended to attract players who wanted to earn what they achieved through actually playing the game. As such, the concept of the best loot being reserved for raiding and raiding alone did not trouble many during that era of the game. And so neither did the challenge of it all. In fact, they complemented each other. The challenge was made more fun by the loot. And the loot was made more valuable and rewarding by the challenge of obtaining it.

    We're now in a wholly different era. Free-to-play clearly leads to a more casual playerbase. And we see heretofore unfathomable arguments deconstructing even the concept of "challenge" and the principle that the greatest challenge should lead to the greatest rewards. As such, we're now in the era of "however I choose to play should entitle me to whatever rewards I want" (seriously, I've seen that argued). . . and that's unrecognizable as a game to me, personally. But it's the inevitable effect of this business model that actively encourages people to think of vast swaths of the game as "optional" so long as you're willing to buy your way around them. Which, again, makes this game unrecognizable to me and draws in an entirely different type of player than those who thrived on raiding (and the subscription model) prior.

    --H
    Wasn't really targeted at you more a general pun.
    You know i'm all for giving raiders unique rewards but they should not make them more powerful at least not by much. Say Titles, special mounts, cosmetics that stuff.
    The reason mainly being that imo a huge gear disparity breeds a community like WOW has. Lotro mostly kept it in check by stat caps and after their removal in update 4 by offering 4 of 6 pieces outside of raids.
    Where i think they really dropped the ball was in Update 5 the disparity between raid loot and none raid loot was huge making anything but the raid items fairly useless.
    My breaking and quitting point in that update was when i got refused into a pvp raid because i didn't have the raid gear while actually wearing 4 of 6 pieces of pvp gear and the realization that there was nothing to go for outside of raids.
    So the point that is mandatory nowadays for me is that the power plateau or at least close to the power plateau has to be able to be reached by any play style, does not need to be easy or fast but it needs to be possible otherwise i will probably look
    for something else.

    Just before someone mentions it, yeah i do group and raid(mostly pvp) once in a while outside of my duo if i feel like it. I do not enjoy feeling forced to do so to achieve what i want though.
    Last edited by Thorwyn99; Sep 17 2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Nothing here matters.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcrest View Post
    Well been playing the game since closed beta, and every expansion was great up to and including Rise of Isengard. I have been enjoying the challenge of this game with multiple people; I mean the game is classified as a MMO right? For me raiding was just the best...
    As others have said, there have been several of these threads created over the past several months leading up to Helms Deep. So, nothing personal but, new thread - old topic.

    What all of these threads fail to realize, let alone accept, is the fact that the overall player base of MMOs has moved away from the "hardcore" raiding that used to be a staple of a good MMO. Yes, there was a time when gathering X-number of your friends together to take on a massive fortress, defeat Bowser, and rescue the princess was very popular.

    However, when every single MMO is basically copying each other with regard to the same mechanics - just dressed differently - the popular things can get old pretty fast. And, it is my opinion that Turbine has caught onto the fact that the old school style of raids are great, but they can't be all that is offered or your player base gets bored with them.
    So, the classic fortresses like Carn Dum, Urugarth, and Orthanc are excellent for endgame material. But, there has to be more options on the menu. And, if you look at it, Moria was a great example of how mixing up the endgame options tends to hold people's interest longer.

    Now, with Helms Deep, Turbine has the opportunity to introduce something new to the mix of "endgame" material. I might be one of the few, but I do enjoy partaking in large Skirmish Raids. And, I may be one of even fewer who wished they would expand upon what skirmishes enabled you to do. So, IMHO, the new "raiding system" introduced into Helms Deep seems like it will be the next step...

    But, let us not forget that the Helms Deep expansion won't just be about what is available to do @ 95. Class changes, upscaling, and a variety of other things will impact everyone from 1-95. And, I don't think it would be wise to introduce a lot of new "raiding" content until all of these other changes have settled in to the point where you can focus on the group content.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Shire, Canada
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcrest View Post
    oh my THis is why I stayed off the forums in my 6 years here
    What the hell is wrong with you people? first guy is rude, second guy is cool with the only response I was looking for, the rest... talking about raids and some guy refers to a pvp game, another guy wants to criticize about my response to a rude response that was thrown at me first, then the topic gets converted to something else...

    HEY her we GO
    LOTRO for 6 years HAD raids!!
    Lotro dropping raids
    Raiders feel slighted

    What the hell is so hard to understand here?????? Should of labeled post ONLY RAIDERS REPLY PLEASE! No I gotta get Circle 7 and their sisters to comment around the original point and start arguments???
    THIS IS WHY IN MY 6 YEARS I STAYED AWAY FROM THESE FORUMS, total stupidity
    Well said Malcrest!
    Clearly you know how to make a thoughtful and succinct argument whilst respecting those who may hold contrary views!
    One the true hallmarks of reasoned debate.
    I look forward to reading more of your illuminating and thoughtful posts.
    *cough*
    Last edited by FittyBolger; Sep 17 2013 at 03:14 PM.
    [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JayDeeHobbit/media/LOTROs-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/JayDeeHobbit/LOTROs-1.jpg~original[/IMG][/URL]
    [color=limegreen][b]Wulfgrim Ghastban, Hrothwine and Galdrefyst of Rohan - Peckish of the Shire -- Riddermark[/b][/color]
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” JRRT

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,873
    Now that the evil raiders are out of Lotro, the game will be thriving with more and more fun jobs to do! I expect tons of new festivals, tons of new cosmetics, tons of crafting and housing improvements, hobbies etc.

    After all, with no need to cater to this evil "single digit" (I'm still wondering what were the parameters used to achieve such score...) play style, Turbine can finally put all their resources to other aspects of the game 90%+ of folks seem to enjoy.

    My guess is that the very few PvPers left in Elendilmir are the next one to leave. Again, another sector of the population who doesn't matter.

    Hey, Turbine must be making tons of money from the non-raiders to make up for the loss of the "evil" sector. What I don't understand is this:

    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt
    Somebody's going to be disappointed. I'm saving my pennies for HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I'm just going to use the TP I've saved up for the last year to buy Helm's Deep.
    If they aren't paying cold hard cash for HD, and mind you that Turbine is catering to them, why should I pay and "help support Turbine" when my play style is being given 0 attention?

    PS: Big battles? If they were that good, Turbine would let us try it before buying it...
    Ricardofurriel 105 Champion Edved 105 Captain Roovery 105 Minstrel Galathriell 105 Lore-Master EddieVedder 105 Rune-Keeper

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoFurriel View Post
    If they aren't paying cold hard cash for HD, and mind you that Turbine is catering to them, why should I pay and "help support Turbine" when my play style is being given 0 attention?

    PS: Big battles? If they were that good, Turbine would let us try it before buying it...
    ^^^ This is why more people need to be interested in participating in the beta testing. As part of the beta testing, you have more of a direct impact on the future of the game.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

  19. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    ^^^ This is why more people need to be interested in participating in the beta testing. As part of the beta testing, you have more of a direct impact on the future of the game.
    You mean people should treat the beta like a TEST and provide constructive feedback rather than a chance to preview the new release?!?! Ohh the horror!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000bd0ff/signature.png]Aidus[/charsig]

    "Live and Let Die"

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoFurriel View Post
    Now that the evil raiders are out of Lotro...
    Nobody said raiders were "evil". What I think is going on here is just economics: raiders are a modest percentage of players who consume what is far and away the most expensive content to produce. That's not a grand combination. A natural reaction to that set of facts is to try and broaden the appeal of the game's most compelling (and expensive) content, but that's naturally going to mean making it more accessible (less difficult, less time commitment, etc). I fully understand why raiders hate that idea, and I agree it's going to be really difficult for Turbine to appeal to both casual and more hardcore gamers within the same mechanic. It might be really difficult to get an optimal score in these "Epic Battles" (they've thankfully been renamed), but unless that produces the same sort of gear and status advantage dedicated raiders have historically enjoyed with their raids, I'm not sure it will appeal to that segment all that much.

    If they aren't paying cold hard cash for HD, and mind you that Turbine is catering to them, why should I pay and "help support Turbine" when my play style is being given 0 attention?
    That's up to you. I'm a lifer too, and just spent $100 on this expansion. I'll spend my stipend on other things this year, because Turbine is going in a direction I personally like better and I want to support it financially. Obviously, it's a subjective call which will vary widely between players.

    Khafar

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    It might be really difficult to get an optimal score in these "Epic Battles" (they've thankfully been renamed), but unless that produces the same sort of gear and status advantage dedicated raiders have historically enjoyed with their raids, I'm not sure it will appeal to that segment all that much.
    And--conversely--if Turbine does go in the direction with regard to gear that that segment of the population wants, a lot of other people won't like it very much. How tough that call becomes depends very much on how much revenue is attributable to each segment of the player population.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidus View Post
    You mean people should treat the beta like a TEST and provide constructive feedback rather than a chance to preview the new release?!?! Ohh the horror!
    Well, yes, the beta access can be very cool from a sight-seeing point of view, in the sense that you can preview new things. But, the developers hope that you will then share your thoughts with them.
    For instance... yes, I would explore the new areas, but I would do so with an eye toward being able to tell the developers what looks good and what doesn't. If I was inclined toward raiding - and both I and a few friends happened to be in the beta together - I would be inclined to organize test runs of some instances to see if things there were working correctly. In fact, that sort of test run would be an excellent way to gauge how well the revamped classes interact with each other and report on that.

    My point is that there is value in participating in the beta testing IF you happen to get an invitation. Perhaps if all the people who constantly whine about various things would participate and provide constructive feedback to the developers (as in not attacking them for screwing up XYZ), you might accomplish more.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    My point is that there is value in participating in the beta testing IF you happen to get an invitation. Perhaps if all the people who constantly whine about various things would participate and provide constructive feedback to the developers (as in not attacking them for screwing up XYZ), you might accomplish more.
    How do you know they don't? It's not like they could tell you they were, nor could they tell you if something was there and disliked but went live anyway, or was disliked and changed for the better.

    What I know is Turbine has announced there will be no traditional raids on instances in HD. Since that's what I like to do in-game it leaves me with little incentive. Skirms in a 12-man format are fun for about 5 minutes, then they're boring. My kin used to run 12 man skirms with 6 people because we could, and never break a sweat. Doesn't make us elite, just means the content is geared towards a casual player. I freely admit to thinking DN-style raids, BG, OD, ToO are the way I like to play. I like 3 and 6 man instances with interesting mechanics and a challenge on the higher tiers. I actually thought that's why there were T1, T2 and T2c put into the game, so a wider variety of people could participate. The problem I saw was that the same rewards you could get on T2c were also available much easier and quicker on T1 so there was no incentive to do the harder content.

    It's partly about the fun, partly about spending time with kinmates/friends, and partly about the loot. Lose any aspect of those and you find a ghost town before long.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    As others have said, there have been several of these threads created over the past several months leading up to Helms Deep. So, nothing personal but, new thread - old topic.
    But it is unique considering it is talking about the entire instance cluster and not just raids. There are a few individuals who as always equated all the content in a cluster to be for hardcore raiders.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    What all of these threads fail to realize, let alone accept, is the fact that the overall player base of MMOs has moved away from the "hardcore" raiding that used to be a staple of a good MMO. Yes, there was a time when gathering X-number of your friends together to take on a massive fortress, defeat Bowser, and rescue the princess was very popular.
    Once again the entire cluster including 3 and 6 mans caters to a wider audience than just raiders.
    Describing something as "the big cousin of skirms" does not sound very enticing to players of all types. I understand what you say in the rest of the post. The games do copy one another. But I have to admit if they want big battles to work there needs to be a difficulty setting if this is the only planned content. What happens after players beat the content on 12 man and get their teal gear? What can that gear be used for? To just make the content easier? Progression is not that difficult to manufacture either. Add a tier 2 and call it a day. It's what they have done for many years.

    In a game like WOW where there are multiple multi boss raids (3 or more) Lotro has done ok with just one and the scaling of the difficulty. Same thing with their 5 man content it has a heroic mode ours has a tier 2.

    I can't really say anything else about big battle other than what I have heard in interviews and in the 20 questions but you gotta be careful when you use the skirmish as it does not have the same impression as the word instance.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    But it is unique considering it is talking about the entire instance cluster and not just raids. There are a few individuals who as always equated all the content in a cluster to be for hardcore raiders.



    Once again the entire cluster including 3 and 6 mans caters to a wider audience than just raiders.
    Describing something as "the big cousin of skirms" does not sound very enticing to players of all types. I understand what you say in the rest of the post. The games do copy one another. But I have to admit if they want big battles to work there needs to be a difficulty setting if this is the only planned content. What happens after players beat the content on 12 man and get their teal gear? What can that gear be used for? To just make the content easier? Progression is not that difficult to manufacture either. Add a tier 2 and call it a day. It's what they have done for many years.

    In a game like WOW where there are multiple multi boss raids (3 or more) Lotro has done ok with just one and the scaling of the difficulty. Same thing with their 5 man content it has a heroic mode ours has a tier 2.

    I can't really say anything else about big battle other than what I have heard in interviews and in the 20 questions but you gotta be careful when you use the skirmish as it does not have the same impression as the word instance.
    Well there is theoretically difficulty settings: bronze, silver, gold and platinum medals. Now if that'll be actually difficult we can't tell yet i figure.
    Probably about time turbine offers more info on the epic battles one way or the other.
    Nothing here matters.

 

 
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload