We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

TenTon Hammer Interview

http://www.tentonhammer.com/lotro/helms-deep-interview
    The new system will mirror the Mounted Traits system - a window, accessible anywhere, with multiple setups that you can change on-the-fly (as long as you are out of combat).
    Any chance we can get this mapable to a hotkey or /shortcut command? (/build1 etc) to switch between pre-defined trait builds?

These kinds of changes can be scary to some people. Especially to the bard NPCs that have been hanging out making their livings in taverns and such for years. Now that they are no longer raking in all that cash from re-traiting, they are demoted to simple lute merchants.
    Will we get seperate trait-tabs for our virtues to save multiple virtue configurations as well or will they be locked to the class tabs in an all or nothing fashion?

These medals are not dependent on level - a level 10 can earn a platinum medal by putting in the effort and really mastering his tasks.
    This does not bode well for the challenge factor.

The Helm's Deep medals are a new progression currency to be exchanged for specific rewards. And the instances can be completed solo, or in 2, 3, 6 or 12-man groups, depending on the instance. Not all instances come in all sizes.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    This does not bode well for the challenge factor.
    I would guess the only way this would be possible is if the level 10 was in charge of catapults and such. I doubt a level 10 in the Vanguard position would be able to get the top tier medal.
    Let's hope not, anyway.

The most interesting thing about this to me is that Big Battles won't be using the same tech as Wulf's Cleft (which I thought looked terribly tacky). I am glad to hear this and can only hope the new technology used for this makes the battle look realistic, epic, and immersive.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

In Swotor, for a while anyway they had 10-49 with scaling up, 50s in their own bracket because of the sheer power increase in gear and abilities from 49-50, kind of like this game has at 85, or at any other cap they've ever had.

That was insane fun for a while, I think they have more tiers now, but longer queues. I leveled up a character to 47ish just in PvP and then started doing my world and class quests so I could just run through with no breakup of the story. I didn't have the energy to do it again, but that was a fun way to level a character. Ya, you could earn as many or more medals if you knew what you were doing and kept your gear up to date as a low level compared to a high level.

I have a couple of lowbies, if this big battle is fun, I may level them there.

The more I see about HD, the more it makes me determined to treat it like mounted combat and avoid it like the plague!

From Tenton Hammer: "At the end of the battle, players are rewarded medals and ratings. If the player did okay, he gets a bronze medal. If the player did the best he could possibly do, he gets platinum. These medals are not dependent on level - a level 10 can earn a platinum medal by putting in the effort and really mastering his tasks. The Helm's Deep medals are a new progression currency to be exchanged for specific rewards. And the instances can be completed solo, or in 2, 3, 6 or 12-man groups, depending on the instance. Not all instances come in all sizes."

This sounds horrible! If level 10 players can get the top currency, what incentive do they have to level up to level 40, 70, or even 95? He beat the end-game at level 10, why would he bother leveling up to 95 to beat what he already did (and have an easier time doing it)?

On top of that, it sounds like bronze is T1 and platinum is t2c. All the people that fit into the "t2" category but not "t2c" will get shafted down to "t1" quality. Sounds like a slap in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyloo22546 View Post
    On top of that, it sounds like bronze is T1 and platinum is t2c. All the people that fit into the "t2" category but not "t2c" will get shafted down to "t1" quality. Sounds like a slap in the face.
    There are probably additional medal 'grades'. Silver and Gold come to mind.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Or just maybe it runs bronze-silver-gold-platinum

This sounds horrible! If level 10 players can get the top currency, what incentive do they have to level up to level 40, 70, or even 95? He beat the end-game at level 10, why would he bother leveling up to 95 to beat what he already did (and have an easier time doing it)?
    Presumably a player would want to experience all of the new content, like Western Rohan, the epic books, and so forth.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

I do hope the big battles are implemented in such a way that they don't become a form of PvP in their own sense, with players blocking eachother from getting the platinum medal so they can have it all for themselves.

In the best way competing for the platinum medal is done Gimli and Legolas style: they don't get in eachother's way, instead push eachother to new heights.

In the worst way you get stuff like the berry gathering in the treasure hunt.

I like how the reward tokens are called medals. I do hope there'll be some conversion barterer to melt them into marks, medallions and seals. Flexibility and options in rewards are good.

So they take away all different currencies and meld them into marks/meds/seals (to make things more streamlined), then, in the next xpac add another tree of currency (stones) and then yet another tree in the next xpac... Did i miss something?

The Helm's Deep medals are a new progression currency to be exchanged for specific rewards. And the instances can be completed solo, or in 2, 3, 6 or 12-man groups, depending on the instance. Not all instances come in all sizes.
    This is not how i got it from the 20 questions a while ago, does that mean certain instances are locked to certain group sizes ? Basically like a classic instance cluster ?
    Nothing here matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    This is not how i got it from the 20 questions a while ago, does that mean certain instances are locked to certain group sizes ? Basically like a classic instance cluster ?
    No. Just not all Epic battles will have all size options available (just like Survival Barrow Downs skirmish doesn't have a solo option). But pretty sure all of them will have multiple size options. And that was already stated in the 20 Q+A

"We're moving to a trait tree system for classes," Hannah Foell explains. "We thought it made a lot of sense for us. It's an understood system - we did it with mounted combat and we found it to be very successful.
    Based on what data? I find that statement pretty ignorant of player reality.
    And it something our players already understand, so it's a system within which we can work.
    "understand" does not imply "appreciate". Most people I know consider MC traits a necessary burden that has to be setup once, nothing they like to experiment with a lot.
    Each class has three different trait lines that you can spec out, so you specialize very heavily in one line at a time. And then you can specialize in a couple of different other ways and save them as different specs and then you can switch between them as much as you want."
    Yeah, conceptually that sounds like the MC system, except there we get enough points to max pretty much every tree. The specializations are more the different steed types, and those are mutually exclusive. Not to mention that MC itself can pretty much work without spending any traitpoints with the current mechanics.

LotRO players have been asking for the ability to "multi-spec" for years, and for classes that have choices between very different combat roles (e.g. healing or DPS for Minstrels and Rune-keepers), the ability to quick-change from one role to the other and back again, as needed and on the fly, will be a significant benefit.
    All we wanted was the ability to save and reload trait setups. Allowing that without a bard would be a bonus. Nobody ever asked for a fundamental change to the skill system though.
    But this is only a part of the class revamp - the other part involves "streamlining." Essentially, this means eliminating skills that see only limited use, or tying certain skills to specific trait trees. The logic follows along the lines of, "if a person is playing this way, they won't be using these skills, but if he's playing this other way, he will be."
    We'll see how this works out, but that description really sounds like "we don't want you to use this skill when playing that role". Question remains how many skills will receive that treatment, and how many will be removed entirely. If we get only half of our current skills (or less) available in any traitline it will break quite a few classes. If I want a game with only 10 skills available I can play GW2 or Neverwinter.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post

"understand" does not imply "appreciate". Most people I know consider MC traits a necessary burden that has to be setup once, nothing they like to experiment with a lot.

Yeah, conceptually that sounds like the MC system, except there we get enough points to max pretty much every tree. The specializations are more the different steed types, and those are mutually exclusive. Not to mention that MC itself can pretty much work without spending any traitpoints with the current mechanics.

All we wanted was the ability to save and reload trait setups. Allowing that without a bard would be a bonus. Nobody ever asked for a fundamental change to the skill system though.

We'll see how this works out, but that description really sounds like "we don't want you to use this skill when playing that role". Question remains how many skills will receive that treatment, and how many will be removed entirely. If we get only half of our current skills (or less) available in any traitline it will break quite a few classes. If I want a game with only 10 skills available I can play GW2 or Neverwinter.

I fully agree with all your comments.

Its like when the devs said the Hytbold 'mechanic' was far more successful than they imagined... Not surprising people went with it as it was the only bloody thing to do once you reached L85!

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    Its like when the devs said the Hytbold 'mechanic' was far more successful than they imagined... Not surprising people went with it as it was the only bloody thing to do once you reached L85!
    Well, there it was obvious how they reached that conclusion. The metric there was easy to see for everyone (completed hytbold quests/time spent in hytbold instances). Not sure how you measure usage of the MC trait system on the other hand: number of points spent? number of traitline switches? number of MC skills used? number of mobs killed using MC skills? how often the MC trait panel has been opened? time spent staring at the MC panel? .... None of that is even remotely representative of "using" the MC trait system.

No. Just not all Epic battles will have all size options available (just like Survival Barrow Downs skirmish doesn't have a solo option). But pretty sure all of them will have multiple size options. And that was already stated in the 20 Q+A
    Ah i understood the Q+A as if every instance supported every group size, might have gotten that wrong.
    In that case though i'd be nice to know how many instances per group size there actually are.
    Nothing here matters.

Thank you for saving me the time to write a response.