We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Battle Roles in Helms Deep

Here's an article about the battle roles we will take in Helms Deep.

Within each battle players can choose from three featured roles:
    Vanguard: Hack and slash, mainly a traditional combat role. You’re in the thick of the fighting and engaging with enemies as they come over the wall.
    Officer: Strategy and command, you’re issuing battle orders, healing and dealing with your troops.
    Engineer: Interacting with the siege weapons in all the various ways possible, from loading and prepping them to fire, to repairing them when they break down.

These roles aren’t like character classes, but rather occupations for the duration of the fight. Each occupation determines how you will participate, but you can try something different the next time around. Choosing to be an officer in your first play-through doesn’t mean you have to be an officer every time after that, or ever again if you don’t care for it.
    As each battle progresses, there will be advancement within the occupations, and you can choose traits from any of the three skill trees. So, Officers can potentially have Engineer skills, Vanguard can issue orders, etc.

Aaaannnnd freak out in 3....2....1...go!

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Credit where credit is due, the actual article from MMORPG is here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ew.html/page/1

Actually, this looks like good news to people who were worried that tanks are irrelevant in this new content. Looks like tanking roles will still be needed in the Vanguard.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Actually, this looks like good news to people who were worried that tanks are irrelevant in this new content. Looks like tanking roles will still be needed in the Vanguard.

I dont see how thats necessarily reassuring.

All classes will need to be able to perform all 3 roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Credit where credit is due, the actual article from MMORPG is here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ew.html/page/1
    I appreciated Andang @ LotroPlayers pulling the relevant NEW information out of the article for those who may not have time to read a bunch of different articles from the same Press-Preview event looking for that one little new-tidbit of info. Keep up the good work!
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Agreed. What's more, a Tank can probably be an Officer or an Engineer just fine too. So everybody is happy now, right?

Any ideas if these 3 new roles will play differently based on your class?

Will a minstrel vanguard be different than a burglar vanguard?

Quote Originally Posted by Naphexine View Post
    Any ideas if these 3 new roles will play differently based on your class?

Will a minstrel vanguard be different than a burglar vanguard?
    One of the articles suggested that each of the Roles <Vanguard/Engineer....> had their own UI with skill panels.; I dont see what our class would have to do with any of it.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    One of the articles suggested that each of the Roles <Vanguard/Engineer....> had their own UI with skill panels.; I dont see what our class would have to do with any of it.

I don't want to session play. I want to play a minstrel. Hopefully that will still be a useful and interesting thing to be.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Reminds me of the tv show Star Trek where any character can apply to be an officer and command a ship whether they are science, engineer or tactical.

I think the "Vanguard" group would need all tank and healer and dps, just like a normal group. A mini chosed to be a vanguard would heal the vanguard group. The burg chosed to be a vanguard would dps. It doesnt change their class role, just their "position" in the battle.

If someone (I think would be the scaled level players and the under-gear players) chosed Engineer role, he/she would sit on the wall and use the machines. Maybe you'll need healer here too, to heal the random damage from the uruk xbow rangers.

What im not sure is the officer. Have no idea what they do. Summon and healing NPCs? Mark the target for the Rohirrim archers?...

Quote Originally Posted by Hiritier View Post

What im not sure is the officer. Have no idea what they do. Summon and healing NPCs? Mark the target for the Rohirrim archers?...
    Accoding to leaked information from Beta players , officers with deep intellectual abilities have essential duties like :

discussing about the ongoing battle's outcome and other dailly subjects such as affairs

You guys need to relax. It's not even out yet and you've not tried it personally, and conclusions are already formed? sheesh

I was curious on how they'll treat siege warfare. It's the epitome of medieval warfare. From the article it kinda makes sense to me.
    I'm not a beta tester, and will not form an opinion until I see it for myself.

You'll still have your class abilities, but there are battle assets and commands that needs to be added.

Vanguard. foot soldiers. What about Cavalry? rallying troops when they run. managing formations. dealing with fatigue, advance, hold, or pull back. Dealing with the companies you command. Issuing cavalry orders like distance/speed/formation/targets.

Engineer. dealing with siege machines, damage and repair. ammunition and loading. making sure crews are manning the machines, drawbridges, barricades. siege machines,

Officer. Assigning reinforcements and composition of vanguard/engineer forces. Assigning waypoints for groups. Releasing reserves to groups. Issuing alerts to areas or enemy officers to target. Calling a charge or retreat. Access to a view not seen by vanguard or engineers.

But what about special forces? Nazgul and eagles, Ents being examples. or calling a battle influencing event, like a flood, or dust storm?

The engineer role reminds me that every time I played my burg in Thangulhad skraid they always put me on the catapults *sigh*

For the officer role, I can't help but think of the Mirkwood instances where we set a heal/dps/combination flag to bolster us or the Moria skirmishes where you pick up the different flag types to bolster heals/power/dps etc.; I hope it's more than that.