We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

This game could be amazing

Now I am a huge LOTR fan and I wanna play this game and see the world ive read about in book brought to life. I wouldn't even mind spending some money on this game .... iiiiiiiiffffff it didn't freeze up 13 seconds into it nearly everytime I boot it up. this is ridiculous. ive tweaked the graphics settings, ive got 8 gb ram, I even said a prayer to every major deity I can think of including manwe. ive scoured forums and found man other people with the same problem and the same thing is said by all. that even tho this seems to be a major problem for many players no one on the dev end seem to have any help to offer nor have they even acknowledged the problem. now its possible ive missed the answer somewhere but I don't think so. can we get a fix for this so I can play and enjoy the game or what????????????

It could be your internet speed and connection. Once I moved from home to the university I encountered that problem because of the bad internet connection.
    You may also have too many programs running at the same time, a slower processor, or a poor graphics card.
    Or any combination of all the above.
    A warden of Lothlorien meets up a with a rune keeper from Lindon and a friendship is sparked. An elf hunter from Mirkwood finds a minstrel mourning the loss of Edhellen. A captain of Rohan rides to Bree and comes across a burned farm, the only survivor a young woman who'd defended herself with a rusted sword and axe. Thus many adventures begin.

Lightbulb

The game don't freeze to me every 13 seconds, not even every minute, or every 10 minutes & my pc isn't brand new or my conection the fastest. There is a lot of things that maybe causing the game to freeze & most of them aren't on the game side & of those that are you can control some of them (your game graphic settings may not be the correct for you pc or conection speed). If was all the game fault then everybody will freeze at the same time everytime.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

I play this game with medium to high graphics settings on a laptop. The laptop is several years old. The graphics card alone is no longer supported and hasn't received an update in some 5ish years. I also play wireless, in a household with only a few hundred MB per second, sharing bandwidth with several other people (who are frequently watching youtube vids, etc).

I have the type of problems you describe with other MMOs, but LOTRO has by far been the most friendly one to my machine. If you are having problems to the magnitude that you are describing, I would reexamine your hardware. LOTRO may have its troubles, lag and rubber-banding not the least of them, but on the whole it is generally quite tame compared to the requirements of many other MMOs on the market these days.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

that's just the thing I shut down any other programs running have graphics set to low and medium have nothing else running on my internet, have the fastest road runner turbo internet service u can get out here and the comp is brand new, not a complete power house but should be more than sufficient to run the game. and I have seen many other threads on other forums and this which have the same problem. freezing and sometime completely crashing the comp. other than setting graphics to lowest setting I haven't heard of any other fixes. some say it started occurring after the last expansion/update. wanna enjoy this game but it makes it very difficult. itll either freeze right off the bat or crash an hour into it. only twice have I stopped playing the game because I was done. every other time has been in frustration

Great rig, excellent connection to the internet, sounds like (drumroll, please)...

HEAT. How long has it been since you unplugged your rig, and vacuumed or blown it out? I have to do this every 6 months or so, I have 2 dogs, and a big parrot.

I always know it's time when items don't show up in game but they are there such as lamp posts, tables and chairs.

Your CPU and GPU heat up real fast, if you are choked with dust and dirt, it won't take long.

I use a powerful leaf blower, I just make sure NOT to let any fans free-spin, they will tear themselves up. Try it, it seems you've tried everything else.

Occam's Razor... It states that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r8 Mini

7. Have you checked the Technical forum?
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdi...hnical-Support

There are a bunch of stickies and a lot of helpful information

Like this thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ated-8-12-2010

Also, uninstall Pando Media Booster (PMB) and make sure you exit any bit torrent programs.
    [FONT=Ariel Unicode MS][COLOR=violet]?[/COLOR]ª"˜¨¨[COLOR=dodgerblue]?[/COLOR]ª"˜¨¨ ¯ ¯¨¨˜ª¤.¸`*•.¸*•¸[COLOR=darkorchid]?[/COLOR][SIZE="1"]?[/SIZE][COLOR=lightgreen]?[/COLOR] [B][SIZE="3"][COLOR=orchid]LOTRO[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][COLOR=lightgreen]?[/COLOR][SIZE="1"]?[/SIZE][COLOR=darkorchid]?[/COLOR]¸•*¸.•*´¸.¤ª˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜"ª[COLOR=dodgerblue]?[/COLOR]¨¨˜"ª[COLOR=violet]?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Considering the op has exactly two posts, it's doubtful he/she followed the sticky directions (hardly anyone does) and posted the problem he was having in the technical forums with the correct information.

It's even less likely that all these people referred to are experiencing the same problem, although there are a couple of issues out there right now.

I see no mention of following any of the resolution stickies, the connection one being especially helpful in many cases, or of having looked at the support portal information.

now its freezing tho I can still move around because I can hear myself and others walking but the screen is frozen. im running it in windowed mode and ill see an error message pop up off my toolbar that says amd driver encountered a problem but it has fixed the problem. (more or less that's what it says) but it wont unfreeze the screen even tho it says it fixed it. do I need to update my driver or something? its a brand new comp, just boubght it two weeks ago. when I go to graphics I have it detect optimal graphics and it puts everything on high. but I put most stuff to medium low just to try and keep it from crashing. amd processor 8 gb ram 500 gb hard drive space, nothing else is even running on my modem this is all that's sucking bandwidth. anyone have any suggestions I wanna enjoy this but its sooooo frustrating

A) Again, check to make sure that Pando isn't running, as that will be sucking bandwidth as well and you won't even know unless you watch for it.
    B) What's your graphics card?
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

don't know whether you mean Pandora radio - which isn't running. or pando the file sharing thing -which it isn't. that's the thing I got nothing else running and my graphics card is an AMD RADEON HD 8650G, honestly I think there are 3 different things happening. on one it will freeze and I can stil hear myself move around in which case an alert from toolbar says that my display driver quit working but it fixed itself, in which case I have to restart the game. other times the whole screen turns red in which case I have to reboot the whole computer. and other times it shuts itself down and says the lotro client has stopped working. im not positive but I believe they are three different things that are all happening to drive me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by thebody1983 View Post
    don't know whether you mean Pandora radio - which isn't running. or pando the file sharing thing -which it isn't. that's the thing I got nothing else running and my graphics card is an AMD RADEON HD 8650G, honestly I think there are 3 different things happening. on one it will freeze and I can stil hear myself move around in which case an alert from toolbar says that my display driver quit working but it fixed itself, in which case I have to restart the game. other times the whole screen turns red in which case I have to reboot the whole computer. and other times it shuts itself down and says the lotro client has stopped working. im not positive but I believe they are three different things that are all happening to drive me crazy.
    For the first issue (video driver was fixed) means that your video card driver is not working correctly - this has nothing to do with the game. Make sure you have the latest driver (go to amd.com). Also (and this maybe contradictory to my previous statement) if you have the latest you may want to down grade to an older version. I've seen cases where the new driver had issue (nVidia recently had this with one of their releases). It's also possible that this is related to the next issue....

As for the red screen and having to reboot - I get that also (can be any color really). In my case I have determined it is heat related. I have a Dell XPS laptop with a decent nVidia card. After searching and searching I found some info which basically said that the cooling system on this laptop was poorly designed and just can't dissipate the heat caused by the GPU & CPU when doing intensive stuff (and this was on low graphic settings). IN my case the solution that seems to have worked was to actually under clock my video card using MSI Afterburner (I believe it works on AMD as well as nVidia cards). I played with the core and memory clocks until I found a setting that worked (in my case about bring both clocks down about 100MHz). I've not noticed any significant difference in frame rate with the change (again I play with settings on low to medium)

Quote Originally Posted by Ullr_of_Aesir View Post
    I've seen cases where the new driver had issue (nVidia recently had this with one of their releases).
    Maybe my machine is just bad for some reason, but this seems to be an issue on almost every single driver update with NVIDIA.

My card is Nvidia, but over the years I've had similar issues, though not as frequent as yours from the sound of it.

I started using EVGA Precision to control the fan speed better, and thereby help with heat; I don't know what AMD might have that is similar, but look around. It's not a perfect fix for me, but it does help.

Even though my card is capable of more, I'm still running DX9, as in higher settings when the video driver crashes, the game stays in a black screen (red in your case?) and I have to kill the client. I have a similar issue if I set my cards to SLI so I just run 1 card. I occasionally will try turning SLI back on and lately it seems to be recovering, so maybe a drive fix did something.

Quote Originally Posted by Namesse View Post
    My card is Nvidia, but over the years I've had similar issues, though not as frequent as yours from the sound of it.

I started using EVGA Precision to control the fan speed better, and thereby help with heat; I don't know what AMD might have that is similar, but look around. It's not a perfect fix for me, but it does help.

Even though my card is capable of more, I'm still running DX9, as in higher settings when the video driver crashes, the game stays in a black screen (red in your case?) and I have to kill the client. I have a similar issue if I set my cards to SLI so I just run 1 card. I occasionally will try turning SLI back on and lately it seems to be recovering, so maybe a drive fix did something.
    SLI (and Crossfire) doesn't seem to be supported by LotRO anyway, so at best you'll get roughly the same performance, and at worst you end up making it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by thebody1983 View Post
    Hey, I know you are getting lots of frustrating advice here, but Let me see If I can maybe help you. (Your card is listed for a laptop, so I am assuming that is what you are using.)

When the Driver crashes and then recovers.... Any programs running freak out and will either totally shut down, or not recover from the recovery. IT is best to reboot at that point.

Try going on to Youtube and playing videos in several windows, with at least one running full screen. HiRes videos. I bet it will crash eventually there as well.

First off, That display problem is caused by several things :
    HEAT ..... Either prop your laptop at an angle and have a fan blowing across and under it for a test or Go Buy a cooling pad with a fan or three.
    (HP computers especially have a heat problem.)
    MAKE SURE all your case fans are working. Which can only be checked while it is on. Find out where all your fans are and check them while it is running.

Laptops are big victims of heat, even when you do not realize it. Try to always to make sure have plenty of circulation. Lay them on flat hard surfaces, desk, table, etc. (Laps, pillows, beds, couches, etc. are very bad for them and it will eventually destroy them from heat issues.)

VIDEO CARD HAVING ISSUES WITH THE RAM....... Some cards compete for power on the mother board (I found this one out after a years worth of frustration
    and 2 new cards) If you have any computer knowledge, go into your CMOS and change the RAM voltage requirements from Auto to the numbers they require
    (This was a NVIDIA problem for me, but it can happen to other cards.) I do not remember the exact place to change, but the specs of your
    RAM should be in your paperwork. IF you do not have knowledge, Take it back to where you purchased it and ask them for help. It is a 5 minute fix.

FAULTY ISSUES with your new system.... take it back or contact the seller and get some troubleshooting done. New computer does not guarantee it is fault free. They are usually slammed together with minimal testing to get them out the door. The only other issue I see was buying one with a RADEON card. (Personally, I had nothing but bad luck with them, and refuse to buy a computer that has one in it.) Also, You do not truly have 8 GIG of RAM as your video card uses some of the RAM as video memory, and it is fighting the CPU for memory, Next time find a card that has, at least, some video RAM of its own.

It does sound more like a heat issue to me though. Get a book and prop up the back end at least two inches. LoTRO makes a system run hotter than normal. The only other program that upsets video cards more is Photoshop.

GOOD LUCK .. I hope you get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by QueAquila View Post
    ...Laptops are big victims of heat, even when you do not realize it. Try to always to make sure have plenty of circulation. Lay them on flat hard surfaces, desk, table, etc. (Laps, pillows, beds, couches, etc. are very bad for them and it will eventually destroy them from heat issues.)...
    I have a laptop as well. Though that recomendation is good for a cold or temperate place you need more ventilation if by chance your place is hot. I found that having mine on a angle instead flat & laying over a ventilating platform of 2 fans with space between the platform & the laptop for air circulation do the trick. You can find that sort of platforms on any computer shop for as low as $7.00 .
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :