We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Leaf and Bean Coffee shop and Hash House Sept10-Sept17

"Well I never met Napoleon,
    but I plan to find the time.
    Yeah I never met Napoleon
    But I plan to find the time,
    yes I do.

Cause he looked so fine
    upon that hill
    they say that he was lonely,
    he's lonely still,
    those days are gone forever,
    over a long time ago,
    Oh yeah."

From "Pretzel Logic" by Steely Dan

Morning Landrovalrim,

thought I would open with some lyrics from a song that I was listening to today at my workout session. Kind of fits me, no???

Anyway, I am a bit sore, but otherwise ok. Gonna go into the Moors for a little bit then take my nap. Gonna be 97 today in Chi town.

"Wilson, bring me some ice. lots of it. gotta get my knee iced down. Oh, and some corned beef hash for Gombur.

Have a good day all.
    Gombur Gromburson, Level 105 Guardian
    Kin Leader of Remnant
    Commander of the 92nd Dwarven Highlanders

I was listening to some T Rex on the drive in to work this morning Doc... Steely Dan, Procul Harum, T Rex, I might need to dig out some of my old records...

Saw this in the papers today... I used to collect coins, stamps and comic books as a kid, and eventually gave up the coins and stamps... but this is a coin collection I could be interested in picking up!

The Canadian Mint announces Superman collection!

[I][COLOR=#40e0d0]Slamfist of Landroval and Silverlode - Slamwise - Slamburger - Slamrat - and Joe[/COLOR][/I]
    [COLOR=#ffff00]< [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=351547"]a Hobbit's Tale[/URL]> < [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?313127"]Behold the Chinchillas![/URL] > [/COLOR]

Hello, hope everyone is doing well. Spent my weekend in the Smoky Mountains with my family and I've been somewhat unplugged of late.

Hugs and Muffins

[CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000002af3e/01008/signature.png]Faythe[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"I don't need a life thank-you, I have plenty now."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Hello Coffee thread
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001f6371/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Hey folks. Pretty quiet these days. Nice to see you Hammy. Faythe - one of these days I need to see the Smokey Mountains.

Our house is getting fairly settled into our new pattern of living in the basement (for another couple of weeks) then we'll all be happy to move back into our regular living spaces.

We've got another sick kitty (or Squeaky is sick again, I should say). After Masala in the spring, this is another tough time to go through. She looks so sad...

BDR - how is No. 2 doing, she was having a pretty rough time of it too? Haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope all is okay.

Wilson, I'll take a tall dark coffee, one cream, one sugar. Have a good day Landroval!
    [I][COLOR=#40e0d0]Slamfist of Landroval and Silverlode - Slamwise - Slamburger - Slamrat - and Joe[/COLOR][/I]
    [COLOR=#ffff00]< [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=351547"]a Hobbit's Tale[/URL]> < [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?313127"]Behold the Chinchillas![/URL] > [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar2007 View Post
    Hey folks. Pretty quiet these days. Nice to see you Hammy. Faythe - one of these days I need to see the Smokey Mountains.

Our house is getting fairly settled into our new pattern of living in the basement (for another couple of weeks) then we'll all be happy to move back into our regular living spaces.

We've got another sick kitty (or Squeaky is sick again, I should say). After Masala in the spring, this is another tough time to go through. She looks so sad...

BDR - how is No. 2 doing, she was having a pretty rough time of it too? Haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope all is okay.

Wilson, I'll take a tall dark coffee, one cream, one sugar. Have a good day Landroval!
    Sorry to hear about your sick kitty.
    I actually am going to have to put my dog down later this month as she is far to old.

nice to see familiar faces as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
    Hello, hope everyone is doing well. Spent my weekend in the Smoky Mountains with my family and I've been somewhat unplugged of late.

Hugs and Muffins

I am doing as well as I can of late. much has gone on for me.

I was listening to some T Rex on the drive in to work this morning Doc... Steely Dan, Procul Harum, T Rex, I might need to dig out some of my old records...

Saw this in the papers today... I used to collect coins, stamps and comic books as a kid, and eventually gave up the coins and stamps... but this is a coin collection I could be interested in picking up!

The Canadian Mint announces Superman collection!

I...thats just... that coin is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Docargyle View Post
    "Well I never met Napoleon,
    but I plan to find the time.
    Yeah I never met Napoleon
    But I plan to find the time,
    yes I do.

Cause he looked so fine
    upon that hill
    they say that he was lonely,
    he's lonely still,
    those days are gone forever,
    over a long time ago,
    Oh yeah."

From "Pretzel Logic" by Steely Dan

Morning Landrovalrim,

thought I would open with some lyrics from a song that I was listening to today at my workout session. Kind of fits me, no???

Anyway, I am a bit sore, but otherwise ok. Gonna go into the Moors for a little bit then take my nap. Gonna be 97 today in Chi town.

"Wilson, bring me some ice. lots of it. gotta get my knee iced down. Oh, and some corned beef hash for Gombur.

Have a good day all.

hello doc, been a while

It seems that everyone is doing well. I sort of had a terrible few months, issues happened and friendships lost. I am unsure of what else to say but I kind of wanted to come back and say hello to old friends at least.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001f6371/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Good Morning Landrovalrim

Tonight at sundown is the beginning of the Holiest day of the year for the people of my faith, the holiday of Yom Kippur, otherwise known as the day of atonement. We spend the day fasting, and praying for forgiveness for our sins, and we ask to be sealed in the book of life for another year. There is also a special memorial prayer service, to remember those who are no longer with us. I really think that this is the holiday I miss my dad the most. I can remember spending almost the entire day in the synagogue sitting next to him. It was real quality time, as we would now say. Even as we both got older, and he got sicker, we continued to share this time.

Well, I thought that today I would keep a promise that I made to Alditha, and try to explain as best as I can what Bar Mitzvah really means so its Edumication Time!!!

For many of us, our only contact with Bar Mitzvah would be a movie, or a story, or even a you tube video. Some may have been invited to attend one, but not really understood what is going on. And unfortunately, most of the media depictions show extravagant parties, and not the service or its significance. So let me try to explain whats behind all of this.

The actual rabbinical term bar (or bat for a female) Mitzvah means "called to the law." From the time a child is born until age 13, any sin the child commits against jewish law rests on the soul of the father. Once a male child reaches the age of 13 (12 for girls) the child is deemed to be old enough to fully comprehend right or wrong behavior, both in the societal context and in the religious context.
    The bar mitzvah ceremony usually occurs on the first Sabbath after the child reaches his 13th birthday. In our religious services, a portion of the Torah, (the five books of Moses) is read daily. Seven members of the congregation are called up to the Bima (its a lectern where the Torah scroll is laid out and read) There is a blessing to recite before and after each section of the reading . The reading is usually sung by either the Rabbi, the Cantor, or a member of the congregation. Its important to note that the Torah portions are sung, not read. They follow a melodic formula called Cantillation. On a bar mitzvah day, the persons so honored to be called forth are usually uncles and brothers or cousins of the Bar Mitzvah boy. The sixth person to be called is the father. The seventh, known as the Maftir, is the boy (or girl in egalitarian congregations). They recite the blessing, and sometimes read the torah portion. After that, there is a special portion, or Haftarah, that is also read. This is a selection from the books of the prophets, and is thematically linked to the Torah portion. It is also sung in cantillation, but with a different melody.

Depending on the congregation, and the ability of the child, the person being Bar mitzvah'd may conduct the rest of the service, or may just finish his part after the Haftarah. In my case, (gosh it was 50 years ago this past April) I did the whole thing, including reading the Actual Torah portion and conducting the rest of the service myself. There is also a sermon from the Rabbi, and a speech given by the child. In my own case, I think the single biggest fear I had was not that I would goof up the biblical stuff or the service. It was the part of the service where I had to raise the scroll of the Torah in front of the congregation so that it could be wrapped in its velvet casing and put back into the ark. That thing weighs a ton......seriously. And I was afraid I would drop it. That would have been the equivalent of breaking every mirror in existence on this planet. Very very bad Karma.

Jewish children go to religious school for a period of years to prepare for this. This is where we learn how to read and write Hebrew, what the words mean, about our holidays, and starting about a year before, we work with the Cantor or Rabbi to learn our Haftarah portion (or in my case, the Torah portion also) and how to sing it. I am sure that I could walk into any Ashkenazic (European based) congregation in America and hear the same melodies sung for both parts by a bar or bat mitzvah. Let me say also that the Haftarah portions vary in size, and of course mine was one of the largest one's. I should also explain that Hebrew is read right to left instead of left to right, and while there are vowels and consonants, there are also vowel sounds below the letters and accents above them. While this holds true for the Sefer, or prayer book, it does not hold true for the actual Torah. There are no vowel sounds on a Torah scroll. There are cantillation marks, but the reader must KNOW the word without the "sound guide" In my case, I memorized it. As I am sitting here typing, I can still remember the opening lines of my Haftarah, and Gombur is staring at me while I am singing!

There are several other customs on this day. It is usual for the parents to provide a Kiddush for the congregation after the Bar Mitzvah. This consists of Kuchel (a type of sweet biscuit) and honeycake and wine or grapejuice for the kids. There also might be herring in cream sauce or wine sauce. (as I said, we follow centuries old European traditions, and I have never had a piece of Herring in my life!!!!!) Later on, there will be a dinner given by the parents for family and friends. This is where the extravagance usually comes in, as the party has become a means of showing off how wealthy of influential the parents are. None of that has anything to do with the significance of the day.

So fifty years ago, I was Bar Mitzvah'd. What did this mean to me as a person of the Jewish faith. Well, as I said earlier, now I was responsible for any sin that I committed. Dad was off the hook! I was also responsible for living my life according to jewish ritual law, ethics, and morals (oops, I eat bacon and pork and my morals are well......enough said) I was now eligible to be called up to the torah, to lead religious services, and to count as a member of the Minyan. (in order to pray in the synagogue, there must be ten people of age present. The Hebrew term for this is Minyan) It would now be ok for me to be married according to Jewish law, to hold personal property, and to testify in a Rabbinical court. So, as you see, there is far more to this than having a huge party and getting gifts. Its truly a ceremony of coming of age.

*note* it was hard to do this in a modern sense of equality. In orthodox synagogues, women are not permitted to lead a religious service, and the girl, or Bat Mitzvah, must be 13, not 12. In my narrative, I was referring to an egalitarian congregation, so when I said the boy, I meant both boy and girl. I really hope you enjoyed this, and yes, it was at once one of the hardest, scariest things I have ever prepared for, and one of the most enjoyable, soul-satisfying things I have ever done.
    Last edited by Docargyle; Sep 13 2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Gombur Gromburson, Level 105 Guardian
    Kin Leader of Remnant
    Commander of the 92nd Dwarven Highlanders

Ham! Welcome back!! Cookie?

*snip*
    This was awesome, thanks Doc! I remember looking at the boy up at the front there and thinking, "Holy cow, I would be SO NERVOUS standing up there singing, and not making a single mistake". I supposed that if you knew your whole life that you'd have to do it, though, it would be easier to prepare. Still sounds scary!! Great edumication.
    [CENTER][COLOR="YellowGreen"]Alditha, residing at 6 Harrow Road, Undervale.
    Temporary overseer of the Library of the Randirim, 2 Chalk Road, Ewefields.[/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR="Yellow"][I]Behold the Chinchillas! They ride to War![/I][/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeham49 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your sick kitty.
    I actually am going to have to put my dog down later this month as she is far to old.

It seems that everyone is doing well. I sort of had a terrible few months, issues happened and friendships lost. I am unsure of what else to say but I kind of wanted to come back and say hello to old friends at least.
    Hammy sorry to hear both about your dog and the terrible few months. Hello and welcome back. Hope things have turned a corner for you and you are about to start a run of extraordinary goodness.

Our kitty is doing poorly and has gotten worse the last day. Her pancreas is swollen and painful. She has this awful pitiful mewling, and although she takes comfort when we hold and pet her, we have to be very gentle because any pressure on her abdomen hurts. We got some painkillers for her that seem to help. But she has stopped eating, and when all the kids are back this weekend (they've all been at various camps this week), I'm afraid we're going to have to take her to the vet one last time. We let Masala pass away at home in the spring because he wasn't in pain, but with Squeaky, she is most definitely in a lingering painful state. It is just so tough to see her like this.
    *d*mn Wilson must be cutting onions again because my eyes keep welling up*

Good Morning Landrovalrim

Tonight at sundown is the beginning of the Holiest day of the year for the people of my faith, the holiday of Yom Kippur, otherwise known as the day of atonement. ***

. I really hope you enjoyed this, and yes, it was at once one of the hardest, scariest things I have ever prepared for, and one of the most enjoyable, soul-satisfying things I have ever done.
    Doc - I really did enjoy that, thank you for sharing. It was what I needed to hear today. May you be wonderfully blessed.

Fun night. Had three brawls so far. One would think that with the summer heat gone people would stop pouring all kinds of alcoholic liquids down their throats and then go nuts. Nope! Not going to happen. Ever.

Also a visit from the Amazing Birdman. Guy's in his 50s, used to be a teacher for physics and chemistry. Very smart fellow. Then his mind went a bit sideways. Now he's trying to warn us all how pigeons are conspiring against us, so we call him the Amazing Birdman. But even now he's still smarter than our deputy mayor.

Fire brigade had to come and get a bee swarm off my patrol car yesterday. All the bees seem to come here. Fire brigade bee keepers had a record amount of incidents this year. Maybe the Amazing Birdman is luring them here to fight the pigeons, who knows.

Earlier this week I had short foot chase with a pothead who tried to steal a car in broad daylight. Of course he ran. Why do they always run anyway, it's not helping them. He got stopped by a dog from the neighborhood when trying to jump over it on his escape. He may have been high as a kite, but not high enough to change his jumping height in mid jump. That was when the dog jumped to the side and stiffened the leash... Yeah... Pothead is still in hospital. They had some success re-implanting a few of his teeth and his concussion is gone. What do we learn from this? 1) don't run from the police, 2) asphalt vs human skulls with teeth in it leads to asphalt winning, 3) dogs are awesome.

I love this job.
    [CENTER]“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

[/CENTER]

Hammy sorry to hear both about your dog and the terrible few months. Hello and welcome back. Hope things have turned a corner for you and you are about to start a run of extraordinary goodness.
    I think it will be time before I return to the server. I hurt a lot of people as I went through a lot and reacted at them and probably hurt them. They wont forgive me I think.

I have to move out of my own house as well, can't afford it. I did find a nice place though.

Our kitty is doing poorly and has gotten worse the last day. Her pancreas is swollen and painful. She has this awful pitiful mewling, and although she takes comfort when we hold and pet her, we have to be very gentle because any pressure on her abdomen hurts. We got some painkillers for her that seem to help. But she has stopped eating, and when all the kids are back this weekend (they've all been at various camps this week), I'm afraid we're going to have to take her to the vet one last time. We let Masala pass away at home in the spring because he wasn't in pain, but with Squeaky, she is most definitely in a lingering painful state. It is just so tough to see her like this.
    *d*mn Wilson must be cutting onions again because my eyes keep welling up*

These are mighty strong onions, my eyes are welling up as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Takekaze View Post
    Fun night. Had three brawls so far. One would think that with the summer heat gone people would stop pouring all kinds of alcoholic liquids down their throats and then go nuts. Nope! Not going to happen. Ever.

Also a visit from the Amazing Birdman. Guy's in his 50s, used to be a teacher for physics and chemistry. Very smart fellow. Then his mind went a bit sideways. Now he's trying to warn us all how pigeons are conspiring against us, so we call him the Amazing Birdman. But even now he's still smarter than our deputy mayor.

Fire brigade had to come and get a bee swarm off my patrol car yesterday. All the bees seem to come here. Fire brigade bee keepers had a record amount of incidents this year. Maybe the Amazing Birdman is luring them here to fight the pigeons, who knows.

Earlier this week I had short foot chase with a pothead who tried to steal a car in broad daylight. Of course he ran. Why do they always run anyway, it's not helping them. He got stopped by a dog from the neighborhood when trying to jump over it on his escape. He may have been high as a kite, but not high enough to change his jumping height in mid jump. That was when the dog jumped to the side and stiffened the leash... Yeah... Pothead is still in hospital. They had some success re-implanting a few of his teeth and his concussion is gone. What do we learn from this? 1) don't run from the police, 2) asphalt vs human skulls with teeth in it leads to asphalt winning, 3) dogs are awesome.

I love this job.
    So a police officer? Mighty respectable job there and interesting stories to boot it seems.

I dropped in to say hello, but............oh my, those onions are strong in here. I can feel the effects all the way to the lake here....gotta go grab a tissue.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

Today caffeine will be my downfall. I need to figure out which H atom in the structure is the most likely to protinate, and then calculate its approximate pKa value for my organic chem lab tomorrow. Ironically I have not drank any coffee today, and as a result I can only identify 9 of the 10 H atoms, which of course means that the one I can't find is the little bugger I am looking for.....

Quote Originally Posted by Takekaze View Post

I love this job.
    Birdman sounds like a fun guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fnkmstr View Post
    Today caffeine will be my downfall. I need to figure out which H atom in the structure is the most likely to protinate, and then calculate its approximate pKa value for my organic chem lab tomorrow. Ironically I have not drank any coffee today, and as a result I can only identify 9 of the 10 H atoms, which of course means that the one I can't find is the little bugger I am looking for.....
    Hmmmm.... that sounds like too much studying to me! Wilson, get me another cup of coffee, so I can help Fnkmster study!

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeham49 View Post
    These are mighty strong onions, my eyes are welling up as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Valadilene View Post
    I dropped in to say hello, but............oh my, those onions are strong in here. I can feel the effects all the way to the lake here....gotta go grab a tissue.
    For those who I'm not connected with on FB, we said goodbye to Squeaky on the weekend. It was a tough afternoon, but we took her into the vet and were all there with her as we said our goodbyes and she fell asleep with my hand resting on her... We were a sad Slam household. Thanks to all who have already expressed condolences on FB, your thoughts and hugs are so much appreciated.

Later that evening, while we were in the backyard burying her, a chickadee flew into the house while we were outside. I don't want to get all metaphysical on y'all, but it was like a little message of renewal and new life. Or a taunt that there was no more cats in the house...

Later that evening, while we were in the backyard burying her, a chickadee flew into the house while we were outside. I don't want to get all metaphysical on y'all, but it was like a little message of renewal and new life. Or a taunt that there was no more cats in the house...
    So sorry El, on the Slam Family loss.

And in honor of Squeaky, as I thought of this gentle feline when Robo Hubs and I were on the way home from dinner....I spied along side the road a mere puppy. I immediately shouted for Hubs to pull over. We did and I scooped up said puppy and off we went home. Unfortunately the Robo Hubs let our regular dogs out before I had scooped up the pup and we have a Pittbull. OMG.

Fortunately before the Pitt could take out fatally the pup I grabbed Buster's collar and the force of his lunge plunged me down into a gravel walk way. The pup is unscathed, but I am bruised and scratched badly from knees to elbows. But hey it was worth it for the pup, as I bathed him and then disengaged his EMBEDDED collars! Jesus!!!

Tomorrow I plan to call a friend at the animal rescue.....I have called the pup, a Black Lab, Squeaky.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]On the naughty list since 1959.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Valadilene View Post
    So sorry El, on the Slam Family loss.

And in honor of Squeaky, as I thought of this gentle feline when Robo Hubs and I were on the way home from dinner....I spied along side the road a mere puppy. I immediately shouted for Hubs to pull over. We did and I scooped up said puppy and off we went home. Unfortunately the Robo Hubs let our regular dogs out before I had scooped up the pup and we have a Pittbull. OMG.

Fortunately before the Pitt could take out fatally the pup I grabbed Buster's collar and the force of his lunge plunged me down into a gravel walk way. The pup is unscathed, but I am bruised and scratched badly from knees to elbows. But hey it was worth it for the pup, as I bathed him and then disengaged his EMBEDDED collars! Jesus!!!

Tomorrow I plan to call a friend at the animal rescue.....I have called the pup, a Black Lab, Squeaky.
    Val... this... is... awesome! Thank you. Both for your kind heart in rescuing that poor pup (twice), and in that awesome touch in naming him Squeaky.

oh come on Wilson! Will you quit it with those D*mned onions!