We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Lore-junkie RP?

Lore-junkie RP?

I'd like to take an informal census and see how many lore-heavy RPers are still out there. By lore-heavy, I mean you attempt to RP as closely aligned with the lore as you can. I've returned after a year or so out of the game, and it seems almost all the lore-nerds I used to know are gone - I'm looking to stir that pot once more.

Anyway, if you consider yourself to fit this description, please post below with a quick description of your main(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tirvalda Maglorion (Q: Oath-Warden), repentant Noldo: A fairly unremarkable Noldor Elf, Tirvalda stands 6'8" and weighs approximately 265 lbs. He appears to be approximately 30 years old, were he a child of man. The only things that do in fact separate him from his kin are small subtleties. When wearing armor, an eight-pointed star adorns his breastplate. He speaks in a manner which seems formal, almost courtly, even for one of the Noldor. Finally, he carries a weariness about himself always, often seeming as though his thought were elsewhere, on other, more weighty things.

Halegad Grimbrow, Ranger of the North: The name by which he is best known was given by the elves of Rivendell, a title of sorts honoring his hunting skills (S. Halegad trapper of streams, a play on his ability to lure and entangle orcs in nets and snares). He has spent many years in the North with the White Company, but also some time south in the Gap of Rohan. There he earned the name Grimbrow, a joke brought about by his often unfriendly demeanor, but his actions also earned the friendship of the Horse Lords. He appears to be a middle-aged man of approximately forty-five years, though his true age is indeterminate. It is obvious that he spends a great deal of time outdoors - his face is weatherbeaten and his hands rough. Halegad's height (6'4"), grey eyes and dark hair betray his heritage, and he rarely smiles, and is more often dour and sullen than agreeable and talkative. Those that know him well remember him once being a friendlier, happier man, in the days when his wife and child still lived.

Azulinzil (A: Flower of the East), servant of the Eye: This woman is unlike any you have seen before, unless you have been south of Far Harad or east of Khand, where the stars are strange. Her skin is black, and she smells of exotic spices. She looks to be approximately 65 years old, and her face is weathered and wrinkled. She speaks with a strange accent, and her eyes, grey in color, mark her as having more than simple Haradrim blood...
    The one she calls her "son", Khemel of Far Harad, accompanies her everywhere. He wears a stupid expression always, though his size is intimidating. She has only been forced to reprimand him once, Having his tongue cut at the root for speaking too familiarly with her.
    Tirvalda Maglorion en Himring, Tirisse i Vanwarion
    Halegad Grimbrow, Waywatchers of Cardolan
    Azulinzil, Shalk Burgul
    Slemon Ghreem, The Redwolds

I firmly consider myself a lore-monkey, so here goes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Éoléof son of Éadwine, Mægisterwigend of the Éored of the East-Mark: This Rider hails from Westfold in the Riddermark, as is obvious from the heavy Westfolder accent he has when speaking the tongue of the Mark. He seems fairly unremarkable, as far as Rohirrim go, though there is one thing that stands out: his utter hatred of Dunlendings and Orcs, which is far beyond even the normal enmity for those peoples shared by the Men of the Mark.

Gilglir Galgadron, Elf of Lindon: This Elda's black hair and well-made gear mark him as one of the Noldor, though his easy laughter and quick voice seem to belie that fact. Though his face seems fair and young, his eyes betray the length of years he has seen, as well as the sorrows that he has experienced. For all that, though, he seems as gay and happy as an Elf-child, reveling in the transient beauty of Endor. He can often be found making masterful works of gem-craft, which he gives away freely to any who ask (and many who don't). For all his gaiety, though, his anger in battle with the servants of the Enemy is the greater, for he wields his sword with a deadly grace, singing as he slays.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a couple of alts, too, but you specifically mentioned mains, so there you go.

The Éored of the West-Mark ~ Lore-accurate Rohirric Kinship on Landroval

Welcome back Celadil. Yep some of us old Loreists are still around.

*bump?*
    Azulinzil, Shalk Burgul

Greetings! I consider myself a lore-junkie though my vocation as a wife and mother of 5 doesn't give me a lot of time to play the game. I can thus only commit to light RP. Even so, I like to develp my characters as fully as I can. I've recently started a collection of new characters that I hope to have more time to RP with once school starts again.

In practice, what I usually do with new characters is play them for a while (at least into the low 20s) and let a sense of their personality come through to me naturally then I spend some time musing on what sort of history such a person would have. Thus I'm still in the process of learning about some of my new characters. The only one I have who is well established is:

Fionnuala Alphroval (Quenya Father-name: Fionulea), daughter of survivors of Gondolin, born at the Mouths of Sirion after their flight, she remained behind in Middle-earth when they returned to the West after the War of Wrath because, as a rash young Elf of the Noldor, she wanted a chance to see the world her people had fought for over the centuries. She is a skilled jeweler, healer, musician and word-smith. She is married to a Sindarin Elf of Cirdan's House (called Arachas) but due to her wandering spirit they have never had any children. She enjoys traveling the lands, listening to the songs of the world and collecting them in her Songbook of the Free Peoples.

*bumpy bump*
    Azulinzil, Shalk Burgul

I'm not a lore-junkie, but can I ask a roleplay question or two of those of you who are? It's not my intention to hijack or derail your thread.

Sure! What's up?
    Azulinzil, Shalk Burgul

Don't mean to hijack your thread either, but does a player who comes up with a backstory for her character (which is lore-heavy), and doesn't like to do things that don't fit with that lore (joining Dwarf or Hobbit kinships, partake in Shire/Bree-land festivals, etc) but who doesn't actively rp in text count? :-D

Also, where do all you lore-heavy people hang out? I've been looking for just such a group of players to hang out with.

Quote Originally Posted by Celadil View Post
    I'd like to take an informal census and see how many lore-heavy RPers are still out there. By lore-heavy, I mean you attempt to RP as closely aligned with the lore as you can. I've returned after a year or so out of the game, and it seems almost all the lore-nerds I used to know are gone - I'm looking to stir that pot once more.

Anyway, if you consider yourself to fit this description, please post below with a quick description of your main(s).

I am a huge lore nerd... personally I hang out with like-minded friends, who tend to be RPers.

How much of what lore is RPed, with what Turbine has provided us, and what other aspects of RP are focused on instead, depends for me on the character, setting, and just who I am RPing with.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

@Rhialin - I certainly wouldn't exclude anyone. If you consider yourself a lore-nerd, you probably are. There aren't a lot around, IMHO, and it doesn't seem to be an aspiration of most folks. That said, your playstyle may fit with some lore fans, but not with others, just as anyone else's. I think the key is finding that group of friends that think the same way about the Professor's work as you do. The second part of your question seemed to ask more about how often you actually play in-character. Again, that's entirely up to you. I certainly don't always play in character - when I'm leveling or raiding it's usually (but not always) too much effort to do so. When I take characters into more social settings, though, I choose to be in-character.

What I'd like to do is just get lore fans talking so that we are able to network and find other players of a similar mindset. Some of them may not have the same playstyle as you or I, but some may be a great fit, and you might be able to engage in some interesting storylines with them.

@Laire - what kin(s) do you primarily hang out with? There's a group trying to round up all the lore fans into a community and more players are always welcome!
    Azulinzil, Shalk Burgul

I am very interested in getting together with others who love the lore as much as I do. A while back there was a channel started called tolkienrp which was meant for such players. It might be nice to revive it for this purpose. Please contact me if you're looking for lore nerds to join your community. I spend most of my time playing on either Fionnuala or Lirazel.

@ Celadil

Well actually I'm mostly looking for a kin that is lore-nerd-ish without also requiring everyone to rp.

@Fionnuala - Lirazel, like from the King of Elfland's Daughter? If so, wow - few people know of that gem. And yeah, I think maybe a channel is a good idea. I think there was a thread talking about starting a new one - I'll dig and see if I can find it.

@Rhialin - Try http://www.valarguild.org. They're very much into the lore, but I don't believe they RP a lot.
    Azulinzil, Shalk Burgul

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    I am very interested in getting together with others who love the lore as much as I do. A while back there was a channel started called tolkienrp which was meant for such players. It might be nice to revive it for this purpose. Please contact me if you're looking for lore nerds to join your community. I spend most of my time playing on either Fionnuala or Lirazel.
    It had some really great things going for it, too, yea, then it sort of died. Do we want to... bring it back to life? If others are willing to, then I'll drop a channel for it, definitely.

(Please give us more user channels Turbine)

@Laire - what kin(s) do you primarily hang out with? There's a group trying to round up all the lore fans into a community and more players are always welcome!
    My main is in Elentiri, a heavy RP kinship. Others I RP with are... well, whoever wants to RP, kinless or otherwise. I like RPing with many individuals and will brush off what I consider lore inconsistences to the side with strangers just for the sake of doing RP. That said, I often have tons of fun with folks that have a pretty good understanding of lore and we both adapt to Turbine's take on it fairly the same way. My lore-convo RPs don't happen as often as would be cool!

Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

@Fionnuala - Lirazel, like from the King of Elfland's Daughter? If so, wow - few people know of that gem. And yeah, I think maybe a channel is a good idea. I think there was a thread talking about starting a new one - I'll dig and see if I can find it.
    Yes, it is. I'm a big Dunsany fan. I know it isn't Elvish, but I like the sound-taste (Quenya: lámatyávë) of the name so much I had to use it. And since Tolkien often chose names that way and gave them meanings later (like Maedhros) I felt it was still respectful to him to use the method myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    It had some really great things going for it, too, yea, then it sort of died. Do we want to... bring it back to life? If others are willing to, then I'll drop a channel for it, definitely.

(Please give us more user channels Turbine)
    tolkienrp still has a few people in it, including me. It was a great channel until it just sort of petered out. I think it would be a good one to bring to life and use. I'm willing to throw all of my support and chattiness into it.

Well, I'm the guy working on getting the lore-junkie kins together (including Elentíri, Laire - I've already talked to Jeridien about it), and if there's an existing channel for lore-appropriate RP, I'm all for rebooting it instead of creating a new one!

Recently, there's been quite a few Elves hanging about and RPing in Imladris. It's been a nice change from all the Bree-centric RP.

The Éored of the West-Mark ~ Lore-accurate Rohirric Kinship on Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Cala_Romello View Post
    Well, I'm the guy working on getting the lore-junkie kins together (including Elentíri, Laire - I've already talked to Jeridien about it), and if there's an existing channel for lore-appropriate RP, I'm all for rebooting it instead of creating a new one!

Recently, there's been quite a few Elves hanging about and RPing in Imladris. It's been a nice change from all the Bree-centric RP.
    +1

I'm going to be likely be out of game until no earlier than Aug 29 - I look forward to see where this goes!
    Azulinzil, Shalk Burgul

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    tolkienrp still has a few people in it, including me. It was a great channel until it just sort of petered out. I think it would be a good one to bring to life and use. I'm willing to throw all of my support and chattiness into it.
    How do you think it would be best to get word out for it? Create a new thread here on the forums? I am uncertain if public ingame advertising would be beneficial or detrimental to reviving it.

Landroval

At some point I'm going to work on adding a list of RP resources below the RP kinship list I maintain, including channels. So I can put tolkienrp there.

The channel originally was heavily advertised in game and as far as I can tell that was not detrimental in any way. (As long as it's not advertised in glff, of course.) So in game advertisement might be a good idea. Actively promoting it with RPers on the forums and players we know, etc.

I suppose I am one. I just created my first RP centric character yesterday, so I don't have much for him yet.