We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Imac 8.1 ram and lotro performance??

Hello all!!!

I have the LotRO mac client for about a year on my mac but i still have problems enjoying the game.
    I own the following mac:
    Imac 8.1(2,8 intel core 2 duo)
    ram: 2gb
    GPU: ati radeon 2600 hd pro (256 mb)

When the client first came out I had major issues playing the game. Now after the latest update i can run the game and quest(maybe do a solo instance) in very low settings with a minimum lag and frame drops here and there. Wandering in bree is tough and sometimes the screen blacks out and i only see the minimap until the graphics load properly.
    I have tried the ultra high settings in isolated areas(last time at the pick of the colossus in evendim) and i had less lag than i expected(i think that my GPU can handle the game graphics on low settings very good. and maybe i can get it to medium high without any problems)

I am thinking of maxing out my ram(getting it to 6gb). So my question is: Will this be enough for me to enter raids and stuff(currently when i get in a raid i have insta-crash and when i go to events i have serious lag issues and fps drops)?

I dont want to spend money if it only ends in me playing solo smoother. I want to get into the group stuff but i dont know if the ram upgrade will be enough. Plz tell me if you know. I fear that the only alternate i have is to bootcamp the game again(but i really dont want to do it. it would be like buying a mac to play windows..)

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ef-John View Post
    I own the following mac:
    Your system will probably be on the low end of "supported" systems once Turbine finishes coming up with new "minimum/recommended" specs.

I believe the 8.1 is the "Early 2008" model, which clocks at 2.4 Ghz (Although Everymac's specs don't exactly match yours.)

1- 2 GB is definitely NOT enough memory. You really need 4 GB. LOTRO hasn't run in 2 GB since about 2008 (when Moria was released) -- despite what Turbine claimed!
    6 GB would not hurt, but I don't know how much an improvement it would provide.

Memory speed itself also makes a big difference. I recently had Apple add 4 GB to my system, but instead of the 13333 Mhz memory, which my system had, they added 1000 Mhz memory which caused a noticeable slowdown in everything on the iMac.

2- I don't know how the ATI 2600 compares to the 5750, however, I suspect that it is definitely "less powerful." 256 MB of graphics memory is also "light."

3- Similarly, the core 2 duo itself is probably under powered.

This is my system:

27 inch iMac Intel (mid 2010)
    Model: iMac11,3
    Processor: 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics : ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
    Display: 27-inch (2560 x 1440)
    Software: Mac OS X Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4

Other than that... there are STILL significant issues with the Mac Client, which now seem to have also infected the PC client -- MTBF has been consistently about 45 minutes max.
    I run both and since 11.3, while Mounted Combat lag issues have been "fixed" -- many other issues seem to have replaced that one. So, I don't know how much (if anything) using bootcamp will actually accomplish, at least in the short run.

Raiding has always required "turning down" graphics and turning off things like Floaty names -- on PC or Mac.

All of that said... the thing which I am coming to believe will be most important to performance on a Mac is a decent disk drive. While both your and my systems came with 7200RPM disc drives, which were fairly high end at the time, they are still inherently slow. (I come from the SCSI world where back in 2003, 1500RPM drives were "normal".) So a SSD would be a big win because of the "landblock" system which LOTRO uses... constant swapping in and out of graphics blocks.

In the end. I don't know that anything short of a new Mac will make a significant difference in performance for you.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 105
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 105
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 91

thanks a lot for you quick reply. I know that my mac's specs are at the low end of the requirements for LotRO. I am currently working on a hack-mini pro so that i can enjoy the game in full graphics and glory. I just would like to know if the ram extension (until hack is done) will help the performance in a big way so that i can run the game with very low settings but still be able to raid and quest without any freeze issues.

From what you said I think that the extension will help me a great deal so I will get the new RAMs asap

Quote Originally Posted by Ef-John View Post
    Hello all!!!

I have the LotRO mac client for about a year on my mac but i still have problems enjoying the game.
    I own the following mac:

I am thinking of maxing out my ram(getting it to 6gb). So my question is: Will this be enough for me to enter raids and stuff(currently when i get in a raid i have insta-crash and when i go to events i have serious lag issues and fps drops)?

I dont want to spend money if it only ends in me playing solo smoother. I want to get into the group stuff but i dont know if the ram upgrade will be enough. Plz tell me if you know. I fear that the only alternate i have is to bootcamp the game again(but i really dont want to do it. it would be like buying a mac to play windows..)

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
    John
    I run raids at fairly good performance(20-30 FPS most of the time) at these spec's:
    Mac Pro (1,1) 2006
    2x 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo's
    6 GB DDR2 RAM (667 MHZ)-This is a lot slower then yours btw.
    Ati Radeon 5770 1gb VRAM

I would agree with valamar, you need more RAM, I would say at least 6. That graphics card of yours isn't too good either, I'm fairly certain you can't upgrade those in an Imac, but getting a better one would be a good idea. The 2600 is the min spec for a lot of "light on graphics" games, including LOTRO. I would recommend turning everything down. Make sure your game is running in DX9, and that Post processing effects are off and that most graphics settings are on low.

Happy Raiding!
    -Gwaith