We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Zealand. The New one, not the Old one. (aka Middle-earth)

How do you pronounce "Landroval"?

I can't decide whether to pronounce it "LANN-dro-vale" or "lan-DROVE-al" or something different...

It's a Sindarin name, meaning roughly "broad" (land) "wing" (roval). The stress falls on the first syllable. You can see how to pronounce the vowels by looking here: Merin Esse ar Quenteli.
    Mornawen "Molly" Bayberry
    Assistant Archivist of Bree, Landroval server
    Kinswoman of The Lonely Mountain Band

Lan -> as in the "lan" of "land"

dro -> as in the "dro" of "drove"

val -> as in the "vol" of "volume"

Emphasis on the accent of the first syllable.

Or at least that's how I've always pronounced it

[Off topic, but I love the speed and reliability of these new forums, it's so great not to have to copy and paste my posts before hitting submit.)
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

I've always done it "LAHN-dro-vahl", but I'm guessing either one could be technically correct.
    "Suddenly, I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door...you heard me rapping, right?"

Lan- the A like in "arigatou"
    Dro- like in "Trottel", just with a soft D
    Val- like in Val D'Isere

Hey, gotta make it somewhat international since it's the interwebs.
    [CENTER]“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

[/CENTER]

The 'A' is pronounced as in father. The 'O' is pronounced as in on. The 'R' is trilled. As stated above, the stress is on the first syllable. The syllable breakdown would be LAND-ro-val. For more information see Appendix E of The Lord of the Rings following volume III, The Return of the King.
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

If you're interested, you may wish to take a peek at the thread Sindarin Pronunciation I made on these forums four years ago.
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

I'll say it how I want to say it!
    Niendil CH
    Law and Mordor
    Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    I can't decide whether to pronounce it "LANN-dro-vale" or "lan-DROVE-al" or something different...

Landro (emphasis here, a as in land, o as in row) - val. (a as in father): LANDRO-vahl

Well that's how *I* pronounce it at least...

==Nec Hostium Timete, Nec Amicum Recusate==
    alts: Aymie, Wrd 61 | Willie, Hnt 28 | Io, Grd 55 | Leyta, Lm 44 | Sharise, Brg 38