We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lord of the Rings video games, and why they've all been so terrible

This does not apply to LOTRO, its a good MMORPG. I thought I'd post some videos of old video games based on Lord of the Rings and just give a short description and explanation why they were so bad. They were not really RPG style games, they were usually arcade-ish or adventure type of games. I hope this topic will give some kind of general direction to avoid going with the new expansion pack, Helms Deep. So here we go... And yes I've played these first hand but I'll be showing some youtube videos just because I don't own the games anymore, I played them all long ago.

1. Lord of the Rings- Journey to Rivendell (Atari 2600)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR2w_idWBSw
    Not a good atari game. I've never played it, this was before my time. What is there to say? It looks really dull, and you only make it to Rivendell apparently and the games over. It's an ambitious idea but video game technology just wasn't there yet.

2. Lord of the Rings (SNES)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbSiMPuyGHk
    Graphics seemed ok. Scripting seemed ok and I can tell I'm looking at the Shire. It's action-RPG style which could work. Unfortunately the game is very maze-like. It's not terrible looking but too linear, and I've never beaten this one, but now thanks to youtube I can see that it goes further than the Atari game does, (game ends after Moria) it's understandable that they have to draw the line somewhere and end it, but they never made a sequel so no chance of closure. You would just have to wait for a better game.

3. Fellowship of the Ring (GBA)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y15M7qKhSgg
    Seriously, what happened? This game was not too bad, as far as the gameplay, I rather liked it, when it wasn't glitching itself out. It's the only LOTR game, and the only gameboy game that I've EVER heard of where you actually cannot beat the game because of game breaking glitches. I remember playing this in high school, reading on the internet that there was a fatal glitch and if you wanted to get past it, you had to mail your game cartridge in, and wait for it to get sent back to you, after they get past the glitch and make a new save.

4. Fellowship of the Ring (PC)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOveur5wQkg
    I think this was the first movie based off the movies, not including the arcade-style trilogy (I'll get to that next) OK so about this game. It has voice acting, decent graphics, I just remember the controls weren't good and it's one of those "Where the **** do I go?" type of games... Collect 50 apples to move on to the next scene etc etc. I actually got this game for christmas and basically, it was ####. If you play this, don't expect any action any time soon. You have to do a lot of tedious #### before you make it anywhere and you're not going to be impressed with the combat. Doesn't do the movie much justice at all. Oh and the fight with the Balrog seems more like when fighting Bowser in super mario bros. Once again, no sequel was made. They were actually making a sequel that was scrapped because of how poorly it was going. There was no feast, nor song, that night. For these ###### games were beyond the count of grief.

5. Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King (Ps2, gamecube, and Xbox)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb-lQfwXqUs
    Unfortunately this is the best you'll get as far as an action based LOTR game. They weren't bad actually, they weren't great either though. Some of the game is very tedious, or just cheap and unfair as hell though, I remember that clearly, and watching this video again definitely reminds me of that. I like that you can play as multiple characters and it actually looks close enough to the movie. There were a lot of great games during this generation though so if these were missing from your game library, nobody would notice. I've played all of them but don't remember beating any, just too many better games.

So that concludes my topic. Theres a few new games as well, Guardians of Middle Earth, a MOBA that is going to fail hard, and War in the North, which released around the same time as Skyrim and was just another poor arcade style game that didn't last more than a couple days. I wish Turbine devs the best of luck with Helms Deep and look forward to checking it out this fall.
    Can I has fixed Fornost and ITA lootboxes?

I actually liked the 2 strategic games (not on your list). They had fun elements such as climbing fortress walls and the cavalry charge effect was cool both as sound and visuals.

As for the Atari game - basically all there could be, so no surprise.

Yeah the strategy games were pretty good, battle for Middle Earth I think they are called. A FInal Fantasy style RPG called the Third Age was OK, and LEGO LotR kicked all kinds of donkey, as do all the LEGO games. Bring on LEGO Hobbit next fall.
    Goreamir - 105 Capt | Jinwe - 91 Hunt | Celebourne - 94 Champ | Humblefoot - 77 Mini | Dorfus - 77 Guard | Creonath - 58 Warden | Stormcraban - 38 LM | Whippit - 40 Burg | Thangadir - 37 RK | Jonly - 32 Beornng | Zongrul - 41 Bank

Oddly enough I liked most of the LOTR games. My particular favourites being the EA The Two Towers and Return of The King games(for good hack n slashy fun), The Battle for Middle-earth games and LEGO LOTR as mentioned above. The Third Age was a strange one, as I loved the gameplay and having Ian Mckellen voicing Gandalf in it was cool, but the story was frankly embarrassing.

I would also give points to Third Age Total War, if you count mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrion View Post
    I would also give points to Third Age Total War, if you count mods.
    I've heard about this one and I'm intrigued, but haven't tried it. Some people tell me it's quite good.
    For the record - they now make one for Game of Thrones too, but it is unclear if it will be ready soon or at all.

What does this have to do with HD????

Quote Originally Posted by Danchir View Post
    I've heard about this one and I'm intrigued, but haven't tried it. Some people tell me it's quite good.
    For the record - they now make one for Game of Thrones too, but it is unclear if it will be ready soon or at all.
    The Third Age mod for Rome Total War is really great (could as well be a paid expansion). About the Game of Thrones one, there is already one out there for Medieval Total War 2 which is pretty decent. But it's only about Westeros.

Also what people said above, Battle of Middle-Earth games (especially the first one) are far from terrible. And Return of the King in co-op mode is still fun (at least for me). There's also a game called LotR: Conquest which was quite terrible. Trying to be the Lord of the Rings version of Star Wars: Battlefront, it had the same good gameplay but the story was grew repetitive and the single-player (or even multiplayer) battles were very limited.
    Last edited by Nenuiale; Aug 28 2013 at 10:32 AM.
    ~ On Evernight [EN] since September '15 .~
    Fideldir (Elf Hunter) , Nenuiale (Elf Lore-master) , Dolenu (Elf Minstrel)
    ~ Formerly of Gilrain [EN] since August '07. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Nenuiale View Post
    Also what people said above, Battle of Middle-Earth games (especially the first one) are far from terrible.
    The BFME games were probably the best LOTR-themed games that came from EA. There went to my wishes that this year they would announce a third instalment, but of course instead there was nothing, but somewhere else was revealed an unexciting MOBA game which probably makes Tolkien turn in his grave at the lore.
    Last edited by zalladi; Aug 28 2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying

There was also a Fellowship of the Ring game in the mid 90s by Interplay. It was a isometric view RPG like Baldur's Gate. It was decent, if Frodo died you could pick another Ring bearer. Your had all a huge party of all the characters but you could take whoever you wanted. I do not think they ever followed up with The Two Towers though.

LEGO always does a phenomenal job with their games, so while I have not played LEGO LOTR yet I fully believe it was a winner. I have, however, played the Fellowship of the Ring (PC) and Return of the King (also for PC; it was the co-op game) and also The Hobbit (Vivendi). FotR and RotK were okay. I loved The Hobbit, though. Hunting for all the goodies kept things challenging and interesting. I still go back and play that game every so often.

And, of course, LOTRO. ^_^ *hugs LOTRO*
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

I quite enjoyed one of the latest LOTR games "War in the North" was quite dark and gory and some challenging parts especially the Battle of Nordibad those sappers were a nightmare!
    "Endure and Surive" Wolftear lvl 100 Hunter- Officer of The Ancient Ones kinship on Snowbourn.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughberry View Post
    I quite enjoyed one of the latest LOTR games "War in the North" was quite dark and gory and some challenging parts especially the Battle of Nordibad those sappers were a nightmare!
    Nah man, it's them Trolls. The Trolls part of Nordinbad was particularly rage-inducing. If you don't keep their aggro they just storm straight in and break the gate. You lose.

I'm not ashamed to say I got infuriated by this section. Had to use every item I could to beat it.

Such a shame that the last section is bugged to heck for me. Lags so hard and then crashes every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrion View Post

Nah man, it's them Trolls. The Trolls part of Nordinbad was particularly rage-inducing. If you don't keep their aggro they just storm straight in and break the gate. You lose.

I'm not ashamed to say I got infuriated by this section. Had to use every item I could to beat it.

Such a shame that the last section is bugged to heck for me. Lags so hard and then crashes every time.
    Luckily my game didn't bug much but I heard many problems others were having with it. Personally the trolls were easy if you used Farin the dwarf character his explosive arrow skill could deal tons of damage and one shotting the trolls. But the sappers there was so many and on legendary difficulty it only took 1 or 2 to blow up the door.
    "Endure and Surive" Wolftear lvl 100 Hunter- Officer of The Ancient Ones kinship on Snowbourn.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughberry View Post
    Luckily my game didn't bug much but I heard many problems others were having with it. Personally the trolls were easy if you used Farin the dwarf character his explosive arrow skill could deal tons of damage and one shotting the trolls. But the sappers there was so many and on legendary difficulty it only took 1 or 2 to blow up the door.
    I used Farin but I kinda neglected his ranged abilities, originally thought I wouldn't need it. That probably didn't help.

The game definitely was immensely tough in places. That was offset by the constant slow-mo shots of beheadings though.

Usually any single player game that deals with an IP is horrible. There are some exceptions, but being horrible is the norm. Like the Superman game on the N64. /shudder
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Eartholloth View Post
    What does this have to do with HD????
    Basically, I posted this topic because there IS a game where you fight in Helms Deep.... And it was ####. It would be unfortunate to see this new expansion pack suffer the same fate.

And don't get me wrong, a lot of these games have good qualities. They're not the worst games ever, it's just that if you've wanted a great Lord of the Rings game, like I have ever since I was a kid, you didn't have much options to pick from. LOTRO isn't perfect, but at least they got most of it right.

Quote Originally Posted by masumane View Post
    Basically, I posted this topic because there IS a game where you fight in Helms Deep.... And it was ####. It would be unfortunate to see this new expansion pack suffer the same fate.
    But that LOTR game was not an MMORPG like LOTRO so everything is already way different.

You can't really compare games of different genre with each other even though they have the same story.
    Lore-wise, they can relate but when it comes to gameplay and mechanics, you can't really compare it.

So it still technically has nothing to do with LOTRO HD.

Well I wouldn't say they've all been bad. BFME one and two were and are by far unbelieveably awesome. If you've never played either of them you've gotta find a demo to play. Just soooo epic of a game. Hopefully there will be a number 3 coming out since I can't get a copy of BFMEII anywhere (Offline in stores) and my BFME I has a fatal scratch on disc 3 so it can't be installed.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000397423/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

There was a The Hobbit game for PS2 (really bad too) as well as a LoTR game for MS-DOS which name I can't seem to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Coxis View Post
    There was a The Hobbit game for PS2 (really bad too) as well as a LoTR game for MS-DOS which name I can't seem to remember.

I never played that PS2 Hobbit game but I remember it getting totally trashed in the magazine reviews.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

It's not a surprise to me that there's so many bad LotR themed games, because most movie-themed video games are pretty ######. Games based on movies are geared more towards fans of the movies instead of the higher standards of hardcore video gamers.