We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner

Captains: What do you need to know?

The Captain class is primarily support. Used to buff their allies, a captain can make a large difference in how a group performs in a raid. Being a support class, captains are more "Group-centric" and are at their peak in fellowships or raids. Captains have no REAL primary output, but they are great for support heals, support DPS, and sometimes even tanking(Which I would recommend trying, it's a blast). What are some of the basics you need to know though?

______________________________ ___________
    THE BROTHER SKILLS, AND HOW TO IMPROVE THEM

Shield-Brother:
    -Shield-Brother is a toggle skill that can be placed on one of your allies in battle. It offers three sub-skills: Inspire(Healing), To-Arms(Provides a defense buff to your ally), and Strength of Will(Increases Incoming Healing).
    -This skill is trained at level 22, this skill is improved by an upgrade learned at level 64, "Watchful Shield Brother"
    -This is a group skill, and can not be used to bolster yourself.

Blade-Brother:
    -Blade-Brother is a toggle skill that can be placed on one of your allies in battle. It offers three sub-skills: Inspire(Morale and Power Restoration), To-Arms(Damage Buff), and Strength of Will(Decreases attack duration).
    -This skill can not be improved yet, and is trained at level 74.

Song-Brother:
    -Song-Brother is a toggle skill that can be placed on one of your allies in battle. If offers three sub-skills: Inspire(Power Regen), To-Arms(Bonus to Allies Healing Power), and Strength of Will(Reduces power cost of allies heals by 10%)
    -This skill can not be improved yet, and is trained at level 70.

HOW CAN THESE SKILLS BE UPGRADED, AND CAN THEY EFFECT ME?
    The -brother skills can all effect you, should you choose to use the Legendary Trait "Fellowship Brother." This trait causes for all of your -brother sub-skills(Inspire, To-Arms, and Strength of Will) to effect your entire fellowship, with lesser versions of the effects provided to your primary target.

WHAT ARE THE SUB-SKILLS, AND HOW CAN I USE THEM PROPERLY?
    The sub-skills aren't that difficult to learn, and their are only three.

Inspire
    -Shield Brother: Provides a morale bonus and deals damage based on your level.
    -Blade Brother: Provides a (Small) morale and power bonus, and deals damage based on your level.
    -Song Brother: Provides a power bonus and deals damage based on your level.

Strength of Will
    -Shield Brother: Provides a 25% bonus to incoming healing on your target.
    -Blade Brother: Provides a -5% incoming attack duration(DoTs) to your primary target.
    -Song Brother: Provides a -10% power cost to the heals of your target.

To-Arms
    -Shield Brother: Provides a -15% incoming damage deduction on your target.
    -Blade Brother: Provides a +25% outgoing damage bonus on your target.
    -Song brother: Provides a +25% outgoing heal bonus on your target.
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ____
    I'VE HEARD ABOUT BANNERS AND HEARLDS, WHAT DO THEY DO?

First, I'll start with the basics: You have three types of hearlds/banners: Victory, Hope, and War. You have a fourth hearld, the archer, that provides DPS support, but we'll get into that later.

HEARLD OF WAR:
    -The Hearld of War is a follower that carries a banner in which will provide a bonus to your (Fellowship's) might and agility rating. The bonus provided depends on your level.
    -This skill is learned at level 10.

HEARLD OF HOPE:
    -The Hearld of Hope is a follower that carries a banner in which will provide a bonus to your (Fellowship's) health rating. The bonus provided depends on your level.
    -This skill is learned at level 24.

HEARLD OF VICTORY:
    -The Hearld of Victory is a follower that carries a banner in which will provide a bonus to your (Fellowship's) power rating. The bonus provided depends on your level.
    -This skill is learned at level 34.

BUT WHAT ABOUT BANNERS?
    Banner are unlocked by a passive skill at level 20, called "Armaments." These banners do the job of the hearld, except the do not move and provide a bonus to your character in general(Physical Mastery and health). The best banners are unlocked through crafting.

BANNER OF WAR:
    -The Banner of War is a stationary banner that provides you with a physical mastery bonus, while also boosting you and your fellowship's might and agility rating(Serves the same task as a hearld, just with a bonus to your health and physical mastery)

BANNER OF HOPE:
    -The Banner of Hope is a stationary banner that provides you with a physical mastery bonus, while also boosting you and your fellowship's health rating.(Serves the same task as hearld, just with added health and physical mastery bonus to you)

BANNER OF VICTORY:
    -The Banner of Victory is a stationary banner that provides you with a physical mastery bonus, while also boosting you and your fellowship's power rating.(Serves the same task as hearld, just with added health and physical mastery bonus to you)
    WHAT ARE THESE "TACTICS" I HAVE HEARD ALL ABOUT, AND WHAT IS MOTIVATING SPEECH?
    Tactics are pretty simple. They are buffs that provide extra bonuses to individual players. This means they have to be applied separately to every player in the group. Motivating Speech buffs the entire group at once, so once use should buff your fellowship.

TACTIC: RELENTLESS ATTACK
    -This Tactic provides a bonus to "Critical Hit" rating, which makes players land Critical and Devastating Attacks/Heals. This Tactic is primarily put on Healers(Improves chance of Higher Heals) and DPS(Improves chance of Higher DPS).
    -This Tactic is unlocked at level 28.
    -This Tactic can be improved by a legacy on legendary items(Level 45+)

TACTIC: ON GUARD
    -This Tactic provides a bonus to "Parry" rating, which allows your ally to avoid some hits and enemy might throw at them. This Tactic is primarily put on tanks so that they will take less damage.
    -This Tactic is unlocked at level 6.

TACTIC: FOCUS
    -This Tactic provides a bonus to "In Combat Power Regeneration," which allows your power to regenerate SLIGHTLY faster. This Tactic is primarily worthless and should only be used if REALLY needed.
    -This Tactic is unlocked at level 38.

MOTIVATING SPEECH
    -This buff provides a +5% bonus to morale.
    -This buff is unlocked at level 16.
    -This buff can be upgraded to a maximum of 10% through a legacy on legendary items(Level 45+)
    -This buff can be upgraded to include a tactical mitigation bonus through completion of a deed concerning the "Tower of Orthanc" instances(Level 75+) (Thank you Tindragon for this info.)

Tindragon: "To get the Tognir set, you need to complete any four wings of Tower of Orthanc on T1. Saruman counts as two wings, and Lightning, Fire & Frost, Acid, and Shadow count for one each."
    In my next post, we'll cover gear and solo play! Any feedback would be appreciated!
    Last edited by robbie1435; Sep 10 2013 at 06:25 PM.
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Great stuff, well spelled out. I wish this was around when I had first started my cappy.

Since you're putting the levels when skills become available, you get Herald of Victory at level 34.

Also, FYI, the dev diary for Captain class changes is supposed to come out tomorrow, Sept 10. If you were to create an addendum to this guide addressing said class changes (once we know what they are and once they take effect) I would be forever in your debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Techman10 View Post
    Great stuff, well spelled out. I wish this was around when I had first started my cappy.

Since you're putting the levels when skills become available, you get Herald of Victory at level 34.

Also, FYI, the dev diary for Captain class changes is supposed to come out tomorrow, Sept 10. If you were to create an addendum to this guide addressing said class changes (once we know what they are and once they take effect) I would be forever in your debt.
    I'll make an attempt to do so! Glad you like the guide . Guess I was off on Hearld of Victory(Been a while)

Looks nice. A few comments. Some may be more info than needed for basics guide though.

Could note that trait line capstones give 100% reflection of relevant brother. e.g. if you trait Master of War and put blade-brother on a target, you get all effects.

Could note there is another banner, "Coldfell Standard of Defense". Requires Rank 8 in the moors to get it. Gives tactical and physical mitigation boost to all in range.

For "Relentless Attack", might change note to say that this is normally put on everyone other than tanks. Focus is very underpowered at this point.

For motivating speech, could note that in addition to completing In Their Absence (4 wings?) you need to barter 4 pieces of the "Tognir" armor to add the 600 tactical resistance to motivating speech.

For heralds, could note that they have activated skills that vary depending on herald type. Herald of Hope's heal is particularly useful at lower levels.

For heralds, could note that you can equip different armaments which change them cosmetically and increase their armor by varying amounts.

Might also note that a real feature of heralds when soloing is that they serve as target for your x-brother skill. Particularly helpful if you have the 100% brother reflection from capstone thing going.

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    For motivating speech, could note that in addition to completing In Their Absence (4 wings?) you need to barter 4 pieces of the "Tognir" armor to add the 600 tactical resistance to motivating speech.
    I don't remember which instance has the tac mit buff, it might be ITA, but Tognir is the better choice as it offers a higher amount of tactical mitigation than the lower set.

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    For "Relentless Attack", might change note to say that this is normally put on everyone other than tanks. Focus is very underpowered at this point.

As for the relentless attack, I thought I had put that up, maybe I didn't. Will update when time permits.

I did put the Motivating Speech upgrade on there, just didn't know the exact wings or what exactly you need to do. (I haven't done this on my cappy)

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    As for the relentless attack, I thought I had put that up, maybe I didn't. Will update when time permits.

I did put the Motivating Speech upgrade on there, just didn't know the exact wings or what exactly you need to do. (I haven't done this on my cappy)
    To get the Tognir set, you need to complete any four wings of Tower of Orthanc on T1. Saruman counts as two wings, and Lightning, Fire & Frost, Acid, and Shadow count for one each.

Question

WHAT GEAR SHOULD I USE, AND WHAT STATS SHOULD I LOOK OUT FOR?

For the captain, your two main stats are Might and Vitality.

Might(Primary):
    -Might provides a bonus to your phyiscal mitigation, block rating, parry rating, physical mastery, and tactical mastery.

Vitality(Secondary):
    -Vitality provides a bonus to your Maximum morale, physical mitigation, tactical mitigation, resistance rating, and out of combat power regeneration.

Fate(Nice to have a little bit):
    -Fate provides a bonus to your critical hit rating, in combat morale regen, in combat power regen, and out of combat power regen.

WHAT ABOUT MY GEAR??
    -In my opinion, and yes, I'm a little biased, I prefer to have more Might than I have vitality. Always look for gear that will boost your mitigation, might, vitality, mastery(Phys and Tact), might, vitality, and critical hit rating. That may seem like a lot, but it's fairly easy to get.

______________________________ ________
    WHAT DO MY LEGENDARY TRAITS DO?

MASTER OF WAR:
    -"When using Blade-Brother on an ally, you will also receive the benefits of your blade-brother skills."
    -"Shadow's Lament: Doesn't require a defeat event, 50% more damage, received Battle-Readied on hit"
    -"Hearlds and Archers: +15% morale, +25% damage, +3% evade."
    -"You are now able to wield Armaments of the Oath Bound"
    -Can only be used when 5 class traits in the, "Master of War" line are traited.

HANDS OF HEALING
    -"When using Song-brother on an ally, you will also receive the benefits of your song-brother skills."
    -"Inspire: +10% healing."
    -"Rallying Cry: +10% healing."
    -"Words of Courage: +10% healing."
    -"Muster Courage: +10% healing."
    -"Valiant Strike: +40% healing, -30 second cooldown, gains an improved heal over time effect"
    -Can only be used when 5 traits in the, "Hands of Healing" line are equipped.

LEADER OF MEN
    -"When using Shield-brother on an ally, you will also receive the benefits of your shield-brother skills."
    -"Noble Mark: +50% Threat"
    -"Routing Cry no longer requires a defeat event"
    -You are now able to block with a two-handed weapon
    -Can only be used when 5 traits in the, "Leader of Men" line are equipped.

SHIELD OF THE DUNEDAIN
    - -75% incoming damage for 15 seconds

OATHBREAKER'S SHAME
    - +35% outgoing damage for 10 seconds.

IN DEFENCE OF MIDDLE EARTH(IDoME)
    - +(Your Level) Might
    - +(Your Level) Agility
    - +(Your Level) Vitality
    - +(Your Level) Will
    - +(Your Level) Fate

FELLOWSHIP-BROTHER
    -"Your brother skills now affect your entire fellowship with lesser versions of those effects"
    ______________________________ ________
    Next up: Solo play vs Group Play

I use the Level 20 Halberd for my captain, it's quite effective. It's 20+ Vitality, Might and Fate or Will, I don't remember. It is better than the Level 20 2Hsword which is 38+ might. Your guide is very educational and I currently have a level 21 captain

Thank you-Angus