We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Failed to start client

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=207t846&s=5

Hello everybody, I'm trying to sort out this error, I just installed the game with the latest C++ libraries, and I'm wondering why it asks me to find the executable file and wondering even more why this pops up.

Any ideas lads?

I'm using XP 32x.

TIA

Ugh, HappyCloud. That install method causes so many issues that I really wish Turbine would get rid of it.

I would have to say download the full installer using either Pando Media Booster from this site or Steam.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    I would have to say download the full installer using either Pando Media Booster from this site or Steam.
    Pando's been discontinued, I'm not sure that would help. Steam is definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Pando's been discontinued...
    No, it hasn't.

Go here and try either of the PC downloads and you will see they both still use PMB.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

Ah, I see it's only the regular Pando that shut down, not the media booster.

Even with the media booster still around though, most people uninstall it as soon as they've got it, which means it's providing no benefits to you and will end up slowing your system down if you leave it on afterwards (as Pando will then use your system to help someone else's download). Steam will still be faster. Someone posted the numbers in the forums last week, though personally I'm too lazy to go dig them up to try to convince someone who doesn't care anyway.

yea getting rid of that installation and making one anew with PMB.
    Will let you know the outcome, about PMB I agree that people just remove it as soon as DLs end.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Ah, I see it's only the regular Pando that shut down, not the media booster.

Even with the media booster still around though, most people uninstall it as soon as they've got it, which means it's providing no benefits to you and will end up slowing your system down if you leave it on afterwards (as Pando will then use your system to help someone else's download). Steam will still be faster. Someone posted the numbers in the forums last week, though personally I'm too lazy to go dig them up to try to convince someone who doesn't care anyway.
    100% agree.

Get rid of it as soon as you're done with it.

Works perfectly now.

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Welcome to Middle Earth, I hope you enjoy your time here!

Question

Excuse me? Could anyone please give me a bit of advice relating to Steam

I am reinstalling Lotro from scratch since I reinstalled Windows from a new Windows XP disc yesterday (with service pack 3. hopefully that works with lotro, right?) that
    I bought recently.

I think my installation discs are a bit old now, (and I have no idea if all the updates files are placed anywhere online anymore) so I'm trying a full installation from the
    "Steam" website. (assuming steam is a full install, right?)

Anyway, I'm a tad worried about something to do with Steam.
    There are 2 options for installation of lotro. 1 of them you have to pay for. (which I certainly do NOT want since I'm already supposed to be vip anyway)
    The other one is what I'm currently dowloading. The green box says "PLAY GAME" with "Play for Free" written next to it.
    That is the one I used to setup and install lotro

Steam website link for Lotro here. http://store.steampowered.com/app/212500/

I'm a tad worried about this option I'm using to intall Lotro.
    If I'm supposed to be a vip player, will using this option change my status from being a vip to a free player?
    If so, then what is my best option here please?

If not, then how do I keep my vip status intact please? (since that is what I prefer to be)

The other link listed above which uses Pando, I am very reluctant to use, judging by all the bad stuff I've read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pppppppp View Post
    Anyway, I'm a tad worried about something to do with Steam.
    There are 2 options for installation of lotro. 1 of them you have to pay for. (which I certainly do NOT want since I'm already supposed to be vip anyway)
    The other one is what I'm currently dowloading. The green box says "PLAY GAME" with "Play for Free" written next to it.
    That is the one I used to setup and install lotro

Steam website link for Lotro here. http://store.steampowered.com/app/212500/

I'm a tad worried about this option I'm using to intall Lotro.
    If I'm supposed to be a vip player, will using this option change my status from being a vip to a free player?
    If so, then what is my best option here please?

If not, then how do I keep my vip status intact please? (since that is what I prefer to be)
    Don't worry, your account has nothing to do with Steam or the download method you use and will remain VIP whatever.

The option where you have to pay is to get VIP via Steam if you're a new player. Either way the client is the same and has no effect on your account status.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    Don't worry, your account has nothing to do with Steam or the download method you use and will remain VIP whatever.

The option where you have to pay is to get VIP via Steam if you're a new player. Either way the client is the same and has no effect on your account status.

Thank you for your very helpful explanation. I understood that perfectly well.
    I have my game reinstalled again, and everything is fine for me now.
    I know where I'll be going to get my full lotro fix in future. *sticks thumb up!*