We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How to lose a Gamer in ten ways

Just seen this interesting article on FextraLife about MMO companies and customers. It's a good read. Any views on it?

http://fextralife.com/how-to-lose-a-gamer-in-ten-ways/

Heh, the author appears bitter.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

You are apparently using some new definition of the phrase "a good read" with which I was previously unfamiliar. (Apologies to Douglas Adams)

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Heh, the author appears bitter.
    Of course the author is bitter. He or she clearly plays LOTRO.
    Leafblade, Captain
    [IMG]http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/70969104/2532739[/IMG]

I've heard the same thing about every MMO under the sun since Ultima Online.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

The worst CM ever bit just smacks of, "I got myself banned so I'ma QQ about that mean old mod!"
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Omg that was hysterical. Rofl too funny. Interesting too because I swear I've seen some of those things in other MMOs before :P Anyway's thanks for the post! I'd +Rep you if I could haha!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000397423/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

lol

Quote Originally Posted by 94217856 View Post
    Omg that was hysterical. Rofl too funny. Interesting too because I swear I've seen some of those things in other MMOs before :P Anyway's thanks for the post! I'd +Rep you if I could haha!
    I totally agree every MMO has it haters, I personally dont have one complaint about lotro, I have played about 35 other mmo's and they are pretty much are bland and boring. The way I look at it, if you dont like Lotro go find a better MMO and shove it where the sun dont shine. I find it funny that I hear people complaining about lag, ect ect. maybe if you get a better PC you would not lag, I am a multi boxer I topically box 12 - 16 accounts on 1 laptop and hardly ever lag, if I goto bree when allot of people are online I lag some. To be honest I dont care what anyone says about Lotro I know the truth, The staff does a great JOB considering what WB has done to them.

I am missing three ways which work even more effectively, as I experienced in *another* MMO (naming it would violate the TOS) which actually *drove* me away.

*Performance*

Keep the same old servers as long as possible. After all, they have been doing their job reliably for years. Don't upgrade the game engine either, because you shouldn't fix what isn't broken. Change the development team three times in four years, so that you get more variety in your update contents. If your hoster finally switches to more modern equipment, look for a new one, with a better price. Tell your customers that it must be their old computers if they start complaining about lags and disconnects, or that they should switch to an ISP that delivers a better net performance. Don't admit by any means that a cloud could be less performing than a dedicated gaming server. The cloud is the newest of technologies, after all.

*Security*

Keep the passwords in a data base. Tell your customers to change these passwords on a regular base. If a hack occurs, blame it on the sloppiness of players that forgot to set a new password, or invariably must have a trojan horse on their computer. Tell them you can't do anything for them because of that, and don't backtrace the transaction by which the stolen items changed their owners. If there are more than five complaints a day, set up a customer service that creates the stolen items in their basic form and hand them as a replacement to the victims, but don't look for the real stolen items or even remove them from the game. If the complaints increase in numbers, get a counsellor that examines your servers briefly, points at various minor issues and then tell your customers you fixed everything.

If the creation of items and stolen in game currency creates an inflation, ignore it. Every economist knows that these items are actually always worth the same, no matter how high the numbers are that are entered into the payment field of an auction house. If necessary, let the people buy items with items instead. Provide the required items in the cash shop.

If the hack wave continues, don't increase the staff to speed the restoration process up. Your customers should be glad that they get their items back, so they shouldn't complain that it took three months. If suddenly a player asks in the forum if you are using a MySQL data base version that is vulnerable to a certain attack, don't reply, but change frantically the library and tell your customers ten day later to change their passwords NOW. But never admit that the fault was on your side.

*Population*

If the number of players decreases so much on your servers that it becomes hard to create a party, merge the server with another one. After all that is cheaper than having to run a big number of those.

If the population still is decreasing, sell the business to another company.

No, I won't name this game. But catching pets in cards and leveling them, together with the emphasis on having pets, even several for every character class, should give it away anyway. It was a great game. Was. It isn't any more...

(sighs)

Greetings, Polymachos

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    No, I won't name this game. But catching pets in cards and leveling them, together with the emphasis on having pets, even several for every character class, should give it away anyway. It was a great game. Was. It isn't any more...
    Does the name start with an 'R' and a 'Z' at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post
    Does the name start with an 'R' and a 'Z' at the end?

I'm still lost!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

STEP 3: Fix what isn’t broken

Add new “improvements” to the game that they didn’t ask for. They love their class? Change them because you hired some fresh out-of-college kids who need some easy practice. They use a well-tested and proven MMO loot system that gives consistency and enjoyment? Change it to random RNG without any option to implement DKP or guild/kinship reward mechanics or organization. They enjoy playing? Introduce new combat styles that homogenize every class into a button mash
    This was funny, how bout them skill tree's eh?