We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

New way to play Hard Mode? Reject LI's?

Some friends and I are sick of the grind. Sick of working on the perfect weapon. To us it isn't really that fun. We are about to embark on a journey of playing all the content while using only dropped or crafted magical items (non-LI) for some added challenge, and so we don't have to be building LI's all the time. Anyone else tried this?

Do you think it will add a significant level of challenge to the content of the game?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a010000295b79/signature.png]Hoshmog[/charsig]

It may make it a little harder, but I doubt it'll make it noticeably harder. There's people that actually do this... not frequently, but it happens. That's why you still get random 2H drops from mobs and such, to cater to those players.

Best weapons tend to come from the chests in GV. If you're VIP or know someone else who is, get a bunch of the Tokens together and pop a bunch of chests.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

I really like this idea. The LI system is clever and has a great deal of depth to it, but somewhere along the line it stopped being fun for me too. If it's purpose is to occupy a perfectionist players time after hitting maximum level, then they have certainly accomplished that task. Speaking only for myself, I don't think I got impatient with the grinding I just began to feel that the rewards aren't worth the time invested, usually. I think I would like the carefree approach to playing that you propose.

On a side note, I would like to see random quality with dropped items. Giving flight to a system that has a mathematical possibility of discovering items that are the most powerful for that level of difficulty, from encounters that aren't always the grand finale. A very slight chance, but the possibility to be surprised with every item drop is IMHO the way to inspire wonderment. Predictability is nice too, but Bilbo did happen upon the One Ring by accident.

Let's say you kill a level 20 bandit and a sword drops. Have a program randomly roll for each attribute of the weapon. You might get junk, or you might get something that is better than anything that can be crafted at level 20. Like 1 in a thousand.

I have, but unfortunately, being a Warden, past level 65 I think it is there's no non-legendary Javelins. I think the same would be for Lore-masters and staffs. No other class uses Javelins/Staffs.
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” Faramir

Quote Originally Posted by druidofbreeland View Post
    I have, but unfortunately, being a Warden, past level 65 I think it is there's no non-legendary Javelins. I think the same would be for Lore-masters and staffs. No other class uses Javelins/Staffs.
    Funny that you mention that, my woodworker would place high end staves and javelins in auction and they would not sell. Eventually selling for a 3rd of what I get for bows.

I did this in the RoI beta with my champ. When they let you level to 75 for that beta, there were single use 1H sword recipes that had DPS like a maxed LI (was a bug). I had my Weaponsmith make two of those and played a cuisinart champ for a few days. Was much fun.

In live, I use 3rd Age LIs. I level 5 characters more or less at the same time and share the loot. I also craft the occasional 3rd Ager to fill in the gaps. Everyone always ends up with decent LIs with a 2-4 legacies that I like. Sometimes I get lucky with a lottery or such and get a Symbol to make someone a 2nd Age LI. Sometimes I get lucky and a random LI ends up with a great set of legacies. I use 2nd or 3rd best relics from my collection, plus cheap crafted ones, and don't worry about removing them.

The mobs fall like wheat before the scythe without a lot of grinding on my part.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by .44 View Post
    Some friends and I are sick of the grind. Sick of working on the perfect weapon. To us it isn't really that fun. We are about to embark on a journey of playing all the content while using only dropped or crafted magical items (non-LI) for some added challenge, and so we don't have to be building LI's all the time. Anyone else tried this?

Do you think it will add a significant level of challenge to the content of the game?
    I would say limit yourself to one LI for your alt. For the other items belts ect just use crafted stuff or stuff that drops from mobs or epic quests. Maybe it would make it a little harder but i don't if you would notice any real change.

I find it annoying that even when you do the epic quests on lvl almost all of the weapons are useless and you have better. If you only had one LI the epic rewards may even be useful.

I think I will be doing this. I just got to level 95, and I will likely have to use LI for my guard's belt and 2 handed sword, unless I can find a level 95 2 handed sword.

The more I think about this, the more appealing it sounds. I will no longer care about level cap increases. It won't mean re-grinding LIs all the time. I will still keep trash LIs slotted for leveling just in case a wonderful legendary weapon falls into my lap, but even then I don't think I will bother trying to grind to upgrade the legacies.

Turbine really introduced a headache with the LI system.
    Silverlode Brandywine
    Durthir - Guardian Fingolwe - Champion
    Derthir - Hunter
    Boldwin - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Derthir View Post
    Turbine really introduced a headache with the LI system.
    Lets hope they find a remedy...
    WINDFOLA: Tsuhelm Hunter lv62 LANDROVAL: Tsudryt Captain lv62 LAURELIN: Opopa Burgler lv22 WITHYWINDLE: Tsukuld Rune-keeper lv85

WP blog: Tsuhelm

My mini has a 1st age level 60 sword and book I intend to use 'til max (currently level 70.) I'm curious how well it will manage in the 90's. Don't think it'll make much difference as he is SO op with ranged light damage however.
    Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    My mini has a 1st age level 60 sword and book I intend to use 'til max (currently level 70.) I'm curious how well it will manage in the 90's. Don't think it'll make much difference as he is SO op with ranged light damage however.
    Well some of the reason your minstrel is SO op with ranged light damage is because of the sword. A Minstrel legendary sword has a +Tactical Damage Rating, which sole purpose is to increase the damage of your ranged light damage skills.

That is also some of the problem with ditching LIs for some classes. If I take off the Emblem on my healing specced Captain, his Rallying Cry goes from 1278-1826 to 384-549. A lot of it comes to loss of stats and legacies, but a huge part of it comes from the Tactical Healing Rating found on the emblem. All healing classes are pretty much equally hurt this way, but a DPS minstrel/LM/RK will suffer the very same issue in their DPS because they lose +Tactical Damage Rating while other classes are not hurt in the same degree because they don't have a +Ranged/Melee Damage Rating on their LIs.
    I don't have a lvl 95 RK/LM/Minstrel so I can't show the exact losses by ditching LIs, but I'm certain they'll be a lot more massive than for other classes.