We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Burg seems to have NO crit defense

I have 5 toons (characters I prefer to call them) and the only one that seems to have no viable gear with crit defense bonus is my burg...

Sorry if moors gear is an exception I honestly don't know, I stopped playing PVP a long time ago. This kinda sucks though having my crit defense at 0.0% I guess i could put on some relics for that, but it would only give me like 1 or 2% at best and REALLY hurt my dps capabilities. Welp thanks for reading

Same for HNT - there's some ring upgrade...mooncandle? I think. Perhaps something on the erebor stuff? Not played enough for that.

That's the only piece of gear I've been able to get my grubby hands on for crit def, it's been at zero.

Suggested the other day to sneak in agility bonus to crit def for just hunter but no doubt burg needs it as well. Just a tiny bit per point. Anything is better than none.

Gem Necklace has a version with 122 agi, 1K crit defense, 88 vit and some morale. Mischief Maker Erebor Boots have 1K crit defense as well. Anyone can slot gems into LIs for 600 crit defense. There is also Teal pocket item from OD (Wound or Fear wing, not sure now) that gives 1,9K crit defense, 350 parry and 120 agi or so. I have only 1K crit defense from that Necklace and it seems just about right and I dont even remember dying from some big hit.

The Wildermore crafted medium armor (at least from the improved guild recipes) offer critical defence stats, if you are willing to trade agility for vitality and/or other defensive stats for a few pieces.
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][FONT=palatino linotype]Genifer, Helle, Zorzini, Borniveth, Wellwyn, Nothgyth, Saxwis
    [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=palatino linotype]SHADOWBANE | Landroval
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Mine's about 16%.

Ancient Cardolan Codex pocket item has 150 agility, fate, crit rating, and nearly 1000 crit defense.

There's a gem relic that has crit defense plus tact mitigation and a crafted relic with crit defense and both mits.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Wildermore guild cloaks have some: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item..._Determination

That's not really a stat I worry about on my burg though. Don't need it solo; on the rare occasions there's a group on my server, if I'm getting hit something has already gone seriously wrong.

There are several pieces out there that offer Crit Defence. My burglar wears the Sunbrand Necklace of Dexterity which grants +1010 CD.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    That's not really a stat I worry about on my burg though. Don't need it solo; on the rare occasions there's a group on my server, if I'm getting hit something has already gone seriously wrong.
    It's pretty hilarious seeing burgs who feel this way get one-shot. ;-)

Scripted attacks from bosses, AoE's can crit, MOBs before tanks pick them up, MOBs you CC'd lacking other threat, Enraged MOBs, covering tanking if the tank gets stunned, often the burg is second on the threat table, so having some survivability helps the group! Something hasn't gone seriously wrong until the MOBs are on the healer(s), it's burg responsibility to make sure that never happens and they have time to aid/rez main tankage.

Don't give up, if you are getting hit nothing is seriously wrong, use your defensive skills (that's what you have them for!) and work it, in that minute plus the entire fight can be turned around and you'll be a hero. It's pretty sweet to be able to tell the raid/group, don't worry, I've got this for another twenty seconds. :-)

Of course, that presumes you have some crit defense, it doesn't take much to vastly improve things given it's newest design, without it, well, you are just another non-DPSing corpse not worth rezzing during the fight, but wait until after. ;-)
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Mine's about 16%.

Ancient Cardolan Codex pocket item has 150 agility, fate, crit rating, and nearly 1000 crit defense.

There's a gem relic that has crit defense plus tact mitigation and a crafted relic with crit defense and both mits.
    I've looked at that too, and dismissed it - only reason is I have +337 max morale with the Limlight agi pocket and while I'd love some crit def, lowering morale will never be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    I've looked at that too, and dismissed it - only reason is I have +337 max morale with the Limlight agi pocket and while I'd love some crit def, lowering morale will never be an option.
    Um, don't need so much moral if you have crit defense and mits (PvE speaking), as you won't deplete morale as significantly. ;-) Big morale pool with no crit defense and poor mits = one shot, but moderate morale pool with lotsa' mits and good crit defense means happy healers and a burg that's still around to DPS instead of a defeated body. +morale is a stat I almost never want on an item.

It's far better to have mild morale movement rather than huge damage spikes hitting you. That way basic group heals keep you full up, heck, even just including the self heal in rotation, and healers can focus purely on tanks without being distracted by a burg taking one big hit after another.

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    It's pretty hilarious seeing burgs who feel this way get one-shot. ;-)

Scripted attacks from bosses, AoE's can crit, MOBs before tanks pick them up, MOBs you CC'd lacking other threat, Enraged MOBs, covering tanking if the tank gets stunned, often the burg is second on the threat table, so having some survivability helps the group! Something hasn't gone seriously wrong until the MOBs are on the healer(s), it's burg responsibility to make sure that never happens and they have time to aid/rez main tankage.
    /shrug, comes with the territory. I only reliably got one-shotted back during the skirmish raid era at level 75 in Jan.-Feb. 2012, mostly from people absent-mindedly removing the corruption on the boss in Breaching the Necromancer's Gate. At least IIRC that's the one where corruption removal triggers a massive 360d aoe - I missed the level 85 skirmish raid era if there was one, so memory is a bit fuzzy on skraid boss mechanics...

As I said, I almost never have the opportunity to group - both of my servers are pretty dead at the times I can play. And in the few random (or mostly non-random Sambrog farms, ugh) 6-mans I've seen this year I haven't found crit defense or lack thereof to be significant. If some random wight is smacking me, whatever, 27+% evade chance helps a lot. If something manages to land a big devastate, so be it, maybe I get killed and sit there waiting for a rez. The kind of burg heroics you describe would be fun, but can only happen in a reasonably competent group (that somehow flirts with a wipe and needs a burg to pretend to tank for a bit...?). Although my burg's kin is the least inactive on the server, there hasn't been a kin run in well over a month. And PUG != competent generally speaking. Oddly enough in the few wipes I've seen at 85, I've almost always survived - tank dies, one mob turns on me, the rest splat the healer, everyone else dies, I HiPS and watch the healer run back to rez everyone.

I got really lucky and got the gold pocket on my first level 85 run so I'm not looking for the Ancient Cardolan Codex you mentioned; I'm happy with Gaerdring's cloak so have no plans on buying a tarnished crest and hiring a tailor for the wildermore cloak I linked; the various Sunbrand/other Erebor gem whatsits are off the table since I don't have the Erebor cluster due to years of experience knowing that raids don't exist on my servers at my playing times. For other people - sure the codex looks fine to me, though easier discussed than acquired. My minstrel uses the will version of the Wildermore cloak - perfectly nice pieces and more easily (if expensively) acquired than instance drop cloaks. I'm sure the Erebor stuff is nice too for anyone on a server where raids exist. Just saying that it works fine to treat crit defense as "nice to have if you happen to get it alongside other stuff you want" but not something to focus on.