We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New class

New class

I was thinking that their might still be room for a whole new class, My idea is that we make a non-armed class for Elves and Men. Instead of bows, swords, and the like they would use their bare hands with passive skills to do more damage and different fighting styles, like turtle -a defence based form-, monkey -a attack speed and critical hit based form-, etc. They would only use medium, light armor, they would be either crowd control (which would be to much like bugler) or DPS. Thanks for reading and lets see if this gets anywhere.

Hi, KingPlacid, and welcome to the forums.

It sounds to me that you're basically suggesting a Kung-fu/monk style class. As such that would certainly not fit in with the lore of LotR at all. I'm not sure that any bare-hand fighting class would really do so either.

You have to understand that LotRO is a very lore-driven game and anything put into the game has to comply with that lore, even if sometimes a little tenuously.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

I'd first like to say that i would love to see a new class, but at the same time that the idea of a hand-to-hand monk does not sound promising for me, or very likely to be implemented by turbine. I DO think that a way to do this would be the Beorning class, often suggested, and very well done in this thread. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...eorning/page28
    Zacharr -- 100 -- Hunter -- Firefoot. I guess that's the new character signature :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gibraisia View Post
    I'd first like to say that i would love to see a new class, but at the same time that the idea of a hand-to-hand monk does not sound promising for me, or very likely to be implemented by turbine. I DO think that a way to do this would be the Beorning class, often suggested, and very well done in this thread. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...eorning/page28
    The same problem arises as with the monk, it'd go against lore.
    Granted, that hasn't stopped them with the Runekeeper, but two wrongs do not make a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibraisia View Post
    A class as described in that thread is a non-starter because Turbine no longer have the license for The Hobbit, and skin-changing etc.. isn't mentioned anywhere in LOTR. So no changing into a bear, or having animal companions, or any of that. Apart from the honey-cakes that is, those get a mention, for what it's worth.

As for this 'monk' business, here: even WoW only added a class like this by making it part of an Eastern-themed expansion. Here, it's simply incompatible with a setting that's meant to resemble Western Europe. What next, ninjas?

I seemed to have giving u all the idea that I was talking monk, probably from the whole turtle, monkey. those we bad examples, what I was going for was a brawler, using brass knuckles and that sort of stuff, but I didn't think of the lore stuff

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    The same problem arises as with the monk, it'd go against lore.
    Granted, that hasn't stopped them with the Runekeeper, but two wrongs do not make a right.
    Beornings go against the lore? How?
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Beornings go against the lore? How?
    Not so much that they don't exist (obviously they do) but the Beornings are a very small family, so it would be unrealistic for them to be played by hundreds of players.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Not so much that they don't exist (obviously they do) but the Beornings are a very small family, so it would be unrealistic for them to be played by hundreds of players.
    Good point... But a session play as one would be nice... Maybe put it in the moors instead of rangers? Or better yet:

Creepside gets to have 1 troll and 1 Uruk-Hai master

Freepside gets to have 1 ranger and 1 beorning?
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Good point... But a session play as one would be nice... Maybe put it in the moors instead of rangers? Or better yet:

Creepside gets to have 1 troll and 1 Uruk-Hai master

Freepside gets to have 1 ranger and 1 beorning?
    That has slightly higher potential, but at that point I'm a bit wary of what it would take (investment-wise, both on the cost and coding fronts) to include such a unique class that wouldn't be played very often.
    Kinda sucks that it's a class that would only work in small numbers but is only justified in large ones.

I think all the class roles are already filled. Also, how would it contribute to a group?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I think all the class roles are already filled. Also, how would it contribute to a group?
    This^^. It is really hard to try to figure out some new type of fighting-skill/method which is not already covered. There are only 'so many' hero-types described in the books.

Then there is the group-problem. A good trio is heal+tank+dps, a 6-man is a 3-man + some more dps + cc/buffs/debuffs (or should be at least...) 12=2x6 etc. Those roles are all already covered, in some cases by 3+ different classes. Whatever role - or combination of roles - a 'new' class would get it could lead to an outcry from the existing players: 'He can do what i can but better!' (And i would probably be one of the people crying...)

On 'the evil side' (creep) there might be room for maybe 1-2 more (they have less classes than the freeps today) , but that's it.

But who knows? Someone with better imagination than me might come up with something which could work some day

Regards
    /T

Hm, yeah a new class...how about a class that uses runes? By charging them up with lighting for example. Or a medium armor tank that uses spears.
    Truth and Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    On 'the evil side' (creep) there might be room for maybe 1-2 more (they have less classes than the freeps today) , but that's it.
    What, you mean like this?

(blatant self-advertising ftw)

A hand-to-hand fighter isn't so outside lore. Tulkas, one of the Valar, uses no weapons. Pippin and Bergil discuss wrestling moves when they first meet. And in-game there are several bandits, Gaurudan, and orc brawlers that use only fists. You could create a brawler/wrestler class that would make a great crowd control manager (with stuns, throws, disarms, and knockback skills) without going too far afield from Tolkien lore

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by KingPlacid View Post
    ... a non-armed class for Elves and Men... use their bare hands... would only use medium, light armor, they would be either crowd control (which would be to much like bugler) or DPS...
    You can always do a man burglar & never ever equip a weapon. But im not sure if you will get any dps active skill.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunStalker View Post
    Hm, yeah a new class...how about a class that uses runes? By charging them up with lighting for example. Or a medium armor tank that uses spears.
    Already have them, Rune Keeper & Warden respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Senuel View Post
    A hand-to-hand fighter isn't so outside lore. Tulkas, one of the Valar, uses no weapons.
    Yes, and Morgoth used a really big hammer so it's not like all the Valar relied on fisticuffs. It doesn't sound like a very good idea for anyone less indestructible than Tulkas to bring fists to a sword-fight. Fists, kicks and grappling are what you rely on if you've got no other choice, you'd have to be completely mental to go into medieval-style fighting deliberately unarmed. It's not even as if they make a habit of that in Chinese martial arts movies which are set in ancient times, there's always loads of fancy swordplay plus showy spear and staff techniques.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    Hi, KingPlacid, and welcome to the forums.

It sounds to me that you're basically suggesting a Kung-fu/monk style class. As such that would certainly not fit in with the lore of LotR at all. I'm not sure that any bare-hand fighting class would really do so either.

You have to understand that LotRO is a very lore-driven game and anything put into the game has to comply with that lore, even if sometimes a little tenuously.

Gratz on not shouting that at him like so many people on the forums do. Love how you explain why it wouldn't work instead of just yelling 'It won't work you moron'. Forums need more people like you.

Precedence already exists for such a class. Some of the Blue Caste Easterling fighters turn blue (go figure) right before they try to punch your character into submission.

"Saruman, you cannot resist the power of my Super Ninja Monkey Clobber Punch Leaf Rainbow Bamboo-shoot Panda Bear Fu Wedgie maneuver."

Why not?

I don't understand why an unarmed class would be so far fetched.
    In the game, there are half Orc Brawlers that run up to you and start punching you in the face.
    In the movie, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas owned everyone bare handed while Gandalf was trying to release Theodan from Sauron's hold.
    So why not have an unarmed playable class? Just don't call it a monk,,,, call it a brawler.

I like this idea, but I think that it should be available to the race of man and dwarf. (Not hobbits or elves)
    And it could be a medium armor, DPS/Support class. It would be able to hit as hard as a champ when trained for DPS,
    And buff like a captain when trained for support. Also could have some awesome CCs through grappling and some self HoTs for solo play....

So why can't this work?
    Last edited by GSO86; Nov 01 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GSO86 View Post
    In the game, there are half Orc Brawlers that run up to you and start punching you in the face.
    In the movie, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas owned everyone bare handed while Gandalf was trying to release Theodan from Sauron's hold.
    So why not have an unarmed playable class? Just don't call it a monk,,,, call it a brawler.

I like this idea, but I think that it should be available to the race of man and dwarf. (Not hobbits or elves)
    And it could be a medium armor, DPS/Support class. It would be able to hit as hard as a champ when trained for DPS,
    And buff like a captain when trained for support. Also could have some awesome CCs through grappling and some self HoTs for solo play....

So why can't this work?
    True that we got Half orcs punching you but it's usually because they have no weapons, and as for Aragorn Legolas and Gimili true that they used some punches or kicks but they didn't rely souly on them, they mainly used there swords/axes
    The idea is fun but doesn't seem to really fit... now the RK didn't fit very well at all but they NEEDED a new Mage class for the game...
    As for some type of brawler or monk class it just would have a hard time fitting in as they already have all areas covered with classes, the Brawler/monk couldn't do more damage then a Champion because 1: not to sound sarcastic but I think a sword would kill people easier then firsts 2:the champion is the KING of Damage, it's like saying a class that could heals better then the RK

As for my "it doesn't seem to fit" part I do understand that is my view on Middle-Earth...and it could be very different from what I think

Quote Originally Posted by GSO86 View Post
    Because nobody would make a point of using nothing but their bare hands 'just because' when the opposition's tooled up with all manner of medieval weaponry and is typically wearing armour. And also because it's a given of the setting that if you kick a Troll, you're going to break your foot. Sam knew a silly rhyme about that

In the Western tradition an unarmed fighter would be a "peasant". If he hung around taverns enough to be considered a "brawler", he'd probably be classed as a "bully". On the battle field, anyone deliberately fighting without weapons would be classed variously as "cannon fodder", "dead", or "road bump".

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    In the Western tradition an unarmed fighter would be a "peasant". If he hung around taverns enough to be considered a "brawler", he'd probably be classed as a "bully". On the battle field, anyone deliberately fighting without weapons would be classed variously as "cannon fodder", "dead", or "road bump".
    Asheron's Call 1 had (still has???) a class that was primarily a hand-to-hand fighter. It's been a long time
    since I played that game, but I *think* they eventually gave the class some weaponry, by players' request.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

It would also lack the "oh look at this BETTER weapon!" thing so they couldn't do more damage or soemthing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast