We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Question Concern about the Journeyman Riding Trait

    So I purchased the Journeyman Riding Trait for my account. I opened the presents for both my characters and applied all but the first paper, (which was the basic riding skill, and I already had it on both). I currently do NOT have stop and smell the roses active on either account, in fact, I have not even slotted it because I doubt I will need it for what I do in game.
    However, I seriously can not tell that my mounts are any faster? On either of my accounts?
    I'm aware of the fact that the tool tips on all mounts are not going to change, as this is a passive skill that's applied and not individual to specific mounts, but are any other people out there that have purchased this trait noticing that their mounts do not seem to be moving any faster?
    Perhaps there's something I was supposed to do that I missed?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    What speed were you normally riding at prior? the increase from +68% is quite marginal because it's speed is expressed based on relation to run-speed, not on relation to the previous riding tier. It is not +10% faster than a +68% mount.

    You have to travel a very long distance to notice the speed savings.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  3. #3
    I normally rode my Lossoth or Jester's Steed on both accounts, as they were 68%. I guess I'm not getting as big a boost as I initially thought. I just want to be sure I'm using the trait correctly. I bought it so that I could ride all my mounts with the same higher speed, as I'm a collector and like to swap them up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisandreth View Post
    I normally rode my Lossoth or Jester's Steed on both accounts, as they were 68%. I guess I'm not getting as big a boost as I initially thought. I just want to be sure I'm using the trait correctly. I bought it so that I could ride all my mounts with the same higher speed, as I'm a collector and like to swap them up.
    As long as you're not enabling the 'smell the roses' skill, and have learned the journeyman riding trait you are traveling at the correct speed =)
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  5. #5
    Alright then. Thanks for your help.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    457
    Ride one of the +38% mounts (Bree Steed or the Tame Redhorn Goat) and enable Stop and Smell the Roses, then while riding it, disable the skill. You will notice the speed increase.

  7. #7
    I wish it would change the tooltip of your mounts to indicate at which speed you are operating. I am also confused by Smell the Roses: If you have it toggled on, does that mean you are suppressing the increased Journeyman Riding skill speed? Or does having it toggled on mean you are going at the increased speed? Like others, I am having trouble sensing the increased speed (normally using a +62% speed mount).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hoarhallow
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by AilsaN View Post
    I wish it would change the tooltip of your mounts to indicate at which speed you are operating. I am also confused by Smell the Roses: If you have it toggled on, does that mean you are suppressing the increased Journeyman Riding skill speed? Or does having it toggled on mean you are going at the increased speed? Like others, I am having trouble sensing the increased speed (normally using a +62% speed mount).
    Smell the Roses deactivates the speed buff.
    Dobb - Hobbit Burglar
    Thar - Dwarf Guardian
    ...
    [DE-RP]Belegaer
    R.I.P [DE]Anduin
    Visit my YouTube-Channel!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    White Mountains NH
    Posts
    729

    smell the roses & destival horse racing

    One thing I realized during the last festival ...
    Unless I have smell the roses ACTIVATED before I start the race, I don't get any of the positive speed buffs which help me complete the race in jig time.

    SO .. make sure you use it before you start the race .. otherwise you will barely finish in time, even if you did everything correct.

    Ravn
    [CENTER]When in Danger, When in Doubt, Run in Circles, Scream & Shout
    [/CENTER]

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by RavnDottir View Post
    One thing I realized during the last festival ...
    Unless I have smell the roses ACTIVATED before I start the race, I don't get any of the positive speed buffs which help me complete the race in jig time.

    SO .. make sure you use it before you start the race .. otherwise you will barely finish in time, even if you did everything correct.

    Ravn
    This is true, I also felt that I didn't get the penalties either on the couple of times I fell off the bridges.

    I mostly like this for allowing me the option of riding some of my better looking, slower steeds and not suffering the penalty for doing so.

    Don't forget to apply 'Smell the Roses' before using stablemaster mounts. They are much slower if you don't disable Journeyman Riding.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Brom_Ironfist View Post
    Don't forget to apply 'Smell the Roses' before using stablemaster mounts. They are much slower if you don't disable Journeyman Riding.
    The fact that stable mounts are "real" for game mechanics purposes explains a lot about the Moria goats that occasionally run off of cliffs, get hung up on landscape, etc. I wonder whether making them slower would make them more or less likely to take you to sudden, unanticipated death.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by MCorey View Post
    The fact that stable mounts are "real" for game mechanics purposes explains a lot about the Moria goats that occasionally run off of cliffs, get hung up on landscape, etc. I wonder whether making them slower would make them more or less likely to take you to sudden, unanticipated death.
    Good point. I haven't experienced this yet in Moria. I can say though, that there are times I leave it on for a stablemaster ride if I'm going to go off and do something while traveling and don't want the game to 'time out' on me. The extra time in route buys me a couple extra minutes away.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Brom_Ironfist View Post
    Good point. I haven't experienced this yet in Moria. I can say though, that there are times I leave it on for a stablemaster ride if I'm going to go off and do something while traveling and don't want the game to 'time out' on me. The extra time in route buys me a couple extra minutes away.
    not sure this is WAI but i no longer need to worry about falling off high places and getting that annoying broken leg debuff...

    now when can we expect a bulk trait/virtue slot sale that applies to the whole account? i am getting sick of rerolling and revisiting the store to get extra slots.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,413
    Quote Originally Posted by MCorey View Post
    The fact that stable mounts are "real" for game mechanics purposes explains a lot about the Moria goats that occasionally run off of cliffs, get hung up on landscape, etc. I wonder whether making them slower would make them more or less likely to take you to sudden, unanticipated death.
    Those are left overs of the last Moria goats rebelion. That was by the same dates of the 2 days game service down. There was 1 time after some big update that if you pay a Moria goat stable ride, they will carry you to a sure dead. I think that the rebelious goats where commanded by a evil druggavar of Enedwaith that sneaked throught the gates of Moria ***Stares to the odd looking goat at Jazargund***.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

  15. #15
    They need to show your current horse speed number somewhere. The War-Horse shows the speed but not the regular horses.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Tyrol, sadly in Italy
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit1968 View Post
    They need to show your current horse speed number somewhere. The War-Horse shows the speed but not the regular horses.
    I don't know about the wlking speed of mounts but mounts can have speeds of 1.3, 1.62, 1.68 x run speed. Additionally, a buff of +0.2 x run speed can be applied.
    The speed of a horse with broken legs is 0.6 x run speed.
    With the journeyman riding trait all speeds are set to 1.78 x run speed.

    And that's really all possible speeds:
    0.6, 1.3, 1.5, 1.62, 1.68, 1.78, 1.82, 1.88 (I don't think 1.98 is possible due to the nature of the journeyman riding trait)

    All of these infos except the last one can be retrieved by reading the mount description and by examining the player buffs.

    If a war steed travels with 15, it equals approximatly 2.5 x run speed.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload