We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Mentors

Mentors

So I saw this thread on my old server,Rivaalan/Raae stole it from MithrilMinded on Arkenstone,the responses and stories ended up being pretty awesome.I thought it would be awesome to see people's stories and have a positive thread for a change.I'm too tired to post my response tonight but,I will tomorrow

Who is the first person that taught you the ropes in the moors? That one person who took the time to take you around and show you how it goes down in the 'Moors......

annnnnnd GO!

<3Boomie
    [URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/xdestroyracismx/media/download_zpsoskmzr9i.jpg.html][IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a339/xdestroyracismx/download_zpsoskmzr9i.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyMcGee View Post

Who is the first person that taught you the ropes in the moors?
    Nobody.
    Pullout - Reading Rainbow - Somalii

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkStateofMind View Post
    Nobody.

Same <3
    lol

Edit:
    Actually, I take that back.

ChrisG - inspiration to all of Elendilmir.
    [center][b]Belthorien[/b][/center]

i'll play for humility's sake. back when I first got here I played pretty heavily with vincint and aronir, learned a great deal from those 2 exceptional players. and a good bit from our friend illy too, wherever that kind soul is today.
    There may come a time for valor without renown, for those without swords may surely still die upon them.

graymor gave lots of "talks" back at GV

leon taught me not to be the fat kid

2eyes showed me all the rocks i needed to know

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080100000c17e3/signature.png]Sambacca[/charsig]

I like this thread... I learned from people on many servers, from soulshadow on fire foot, to budhorn on landroval - jmez and galadharwen on bw and many more, leon , kriptic and dealarr and rip sylidor on e. I also not only learn from raid leaders , I learn from creepside too and from people in general . I am always looking at other minstrels builds and asking questions on how to improve my class and leadership. I am never afraid or embarassed to ask how to be a better player/person. As I learned in art and martial arts, there is always someone better than you, its best to learn from them then to make enemies with them.
    alzie rank 15 mini
    "less talky, more killy"
    "kill fast , run faster!"
    The Apocalypse Kinship Elendilmir
    Antisocialnetworking brandywine

Teddibara beorning Brandywine
    alzeria rank 15 mini renamed Brandywine

I played on 3 servers mainly so I'd have a lot of people to name.On Landroval freepside it would've been kin Auth Daug Noss groups with Anasasi/Nyyx and Shadoow.I also ran Aussie time in Blacksparrow's groups and he was an outstanding teacher.

Creepside,I didn't know anything or anyone.Agony/Pouncing Pwny took me under their wing and into their groups and helped me learn and rank,especially the leaders of the groups Plok,Pouncival and Gakarat.And then I ran most of my time with the transfers from Arkenstone who really helped me learn to play my toon in small groups versus superior numbers.Durtz,Necksnapper,Whit estripes and Nuul especially showed me the ropes.

on Riddermark I could name so many people in this thread that helped me along the way

People were not nice to me and my nub ways when I started coming out on my RK when Ridder was shiny new.I think my first time out Bricks told me I was awful and should leave and never come back.lol I don't remember Alsander being very nice either

I first and foremost have to say Rubicon/Raae/Rivaalan.Rubi was the best of the best and he never once told me I was terrible,instead he invested a lot of time teaching me,duoing with me,and analyzing every fight after it happened to discuss what we did wrong or what we could've done better.Rubi always told me I just didn't have any confidence in my playing,which was very true and made sure to compliment the things I did right and instead of just telling me I was a bad player told me what I could do different that might help.Also duoing my ranks with Rubi made me a better player overall because he taught me to always be situationally aware because we couldn't always type fast enough to co-op things.Rubi was my best mentor for moors and even in the dreaded pve lol.I really owe all my improvement to Rubi being patient and giving me the confidence to learn and keep playing.<3

Also I have to say Kyla was a huge wealth of knowledge in learning to be a better player.She has the patience of a saint and is hands down one of the most skilled players I have ever played with.She is awesome at giving advice and help without being condescending and knew how to make any fight one we could win.She was in TDH on Windy before coming to Ridder and she is hands down the best warden I have ever seen or played with.

And lastly my cappie mentors.Cariance.LBF,and Mayo.I didn't know anything about captains and their builds and those guys answered endless questions and gave every piece of advice they had to help me.And despite my huge handicap of being a key-turner I ended up being a pretty decent captain when all was said and done because I had 3 of the best captains and 3 of the nicest guys to learn from.That they put up with my endless nubness and tells is nothing short of amazing and I am so grateful for that.

On E,I came here and didn't really know anyone.Other than the E players that played on Landy...Griz,Kral,Moof,Purevil etc. and Griz and Kral took me right on and helped me get ranked.Also back when I started Griz mostly ran small tribe groups that were very coordinated and made for awesome fights.Back then it was Gram,Mer,Whiskey,Proton,Snozzy ,Griz and me mostly and they all taught me a ton about playing my class better,especially watching Mer in action,and getting tips from Snozzy about timing my fears and not spamming flies etc.

Smeg's and everyone in his groups also were great from the beginning they always gladly took me along and Smeg's is a stellar leader and always kept the fights and fight locations interesting.

And of course Irish,Lushy and Orak.those 3 know everything about every skill and buff for every creep class.They are like having a creep encyclopedia,they definitely are who I have to thank for really just not being sloppy with skills and saving them for just the right time,to get heals,burst dps,CC etc. being in their groups took things to a whole other level for me since it is so detail oriented and coordinated,I had never relaly played in a group that intense lol but,I love it!

And for my cappie,really I owe it all to Belthorien and Eaola.I don't know how many billion tells I sent to them,especially when I was making my LIs and arranging my virtues lol.Because I hadn't played my cappie for months and there was an update I was so behind the curve and xferred to E at level 75 and needed to work on all my 85 gear and jewelry etc. I was totally clueless (I still usually am) but they helped me a ton.So thanks to them.And everyone else.I am so grateful for all the help I have gotten over the years because I'm a nub and I needed it and it's hard starting out in the game and then all over again on new servers.I never would've stuck it out if it wasn't for all the people that helped me.

<3Boomie
    [URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/xdestroyracismx/media/download_zpsoskmzr9i.jpg.html][IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a339/xdestroyracismx/download_zpsoskmzr9i.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

You forgot about nimmers, I remember him being around a lot during the fm time of complete moors domination.

I posted on arks so I'll keep it short.
    Smegrat
    Afterthought
    Irishreaverdance
    Grizlark

I won't mention the arkenstone people cause you won't remember them, some came and went a little over a year ago. Most of you haven't been here that long.
    Garamburn
    burtnakh of Elendilmir"Freeps I hate you all, your very presence in the Moors sickens me."

Laugh all you want at the first name, but Hanzell and Whiskeyinmytummy are the closest I can come to contributing to this thread. I'd always thought of both my old Nimrod Warg, and the one I have here on E as a platform that I could A) watch others fight and learn about other classes/grouping without having to be involved and B) focus on good movement while largely button-mashing. I've never spoken with Whiskey, and the only time I've spoken with Hanzell is to tell him to pick a better name for his warden, but seeing what each of these could do on warg motivated me to take the class a little more seriously and actually invest the effort into playing it more competently and with better situational awareness and strategy.

With my original warden on Nimrodel I had more mentoring in the form of learning what not to do, and how not to play as much as anything else. Warden's were always tank traited, and played as ranged classes, even before we were given a ranged stance... I was however always impressed with the playstyles of the RK Ukitaki (now on E, but doesn't pvp anymore) who solo/duo/trio'd up to r11 during the first half of RoI, and JohnnySkywalker a (usually glory, admittedly) champ who was always pushing (mostly solo) into groups of creeps/keeps to get his kill.

I wouldn't call them formative or informative, but the handful of conversations I've had with Constrictions while on E always leave me thinking, which in my opinion is an even greater compliment.
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

I like this thread.

Although I did figure a lot out on my own, there are many creeps and freeps that I've played with that I'll mention who taught me some valuable skills and lessons. I'll list a few now:

Ranoc taught me how to dance like nobody is watching.

Snozzy taught me that there are usually terrible things lurking where you'd most definitely expect them. (Defiler kilt?)

Ohgee taught me that it's ok to cry on someone's shoulder and just let it out.

Sniz shared his unique reverse crocheting technique with me. I can whip out a new potholder in a few days now.

Alzie taught me that yes, those black NPC dogs in the Moors will chase after you in full packs.

Smegrat helped me get in touch with my inner beauty and to always be myself.

Tuesdayy taught me to not take things so seriously and to just enjoy myself, man.

Yicky taught me that I have an estranged Russian cousin that most likely just wants to be friends for my vodka.

Thotcriminal taught me that I'm pretty much not capable of killing a well-played champ on any of my creeps.

Garamburn didn't teach me jack squat. But his silky smooth voice and commentary makes everyone swoon.

Boomie taught me that it's very important to always have a plan B, especially when trying to make a lasagna.

Sylidor taught me that if things aren't going my way, just try to keep it lighthearted since positivity and laughter are infectious. I'm doing my best there.
    Last edited by Toast3569; Aug 30 2013 at 07:05 PM.
    [img]http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj534/ladiesandgentlemen69/Sugarbits_zpsf333e556.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by searingskitso View Post
    You forgot about nimmers, I remember him being around a lot during the fm time of complete moors domination.

Smegrat
    Afterthought
    Irishreaverdance
    Grizlark

I won't mention the arkenstone people cause you won't remember them, some came and went a little over a year ago. Most of you haven't been here that long.
    Garamburn, offspring of Ragelark, how dare you insult the memory of former players by claiming them as "mentors." There is no higher embarassment than to be somehow responsible for your atrocious zerging.

Sun Tzu taught me the freckled flashing blade technique which allows me to defeat my foes in 4 moves.
    Dispute this by meeting me at GTR for your doom.
    Formerly Sazh Frecklestache & Galuf Pronnstache

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCoolGuy23 View Post
    Garamburn, offspring of Ragelark, how dare you insult the memory of former players by claiming them as "mentors." There is no higher embarassment than to be somehow responsible for your atrocious zerging.
    Garam took me in a duoed with me when I was new had no rank or maps or skills.And Garam ran with some of the greats and Arkenstone and is very knowledgeable about freep and creep class skills and how to counter what they're going to do next.Regardless of if he prefers large/raid group,Garam is a good player,he really likes to talk strat and I did learn a lot duoing and tribe grouping with him.

Shaddup
    Last edited by BeckyMcGee; Aug 31 2013 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by searingskitso View Post

Smegrat
    Afterthought
    Irishreaverdance
    Grizlark

I'd never forget about Nimmers,or Ghostwarg,Ouchmaker,and ugh I can't remember Paran's warg's name for the life of me,they were all around a lot back in the beginning.I only didn't mention them because I didn't really learn anything from them as much as I loved playing with them on Ridder and E.And they haven't played in a really long time.

Killmeplz and 2ii's taught me how to war leader. I used to follow them around and watch their play styles. Neither had issues dying, and both were a lot of fun. Bubbadoll taught me a fair bit about smaller groups, and I had a lot of fun laughing with her. Besides them, the original Widow and Hishn taught me to love wood. Miss those two ladies. <3
    Hellnakh | Edhellreth

When I first rerolled creepside on E, there are four people who stand out that immediately helped me take defiling and corrupting freeps to the next level: Garam, Lush, Smeg and Griz. My greenie days on E were some of the most frustrating (I'm lookin at you burgs) and also the most fun. For a time FM had almost all of the best defilers on E, and that was highly beneficial for feedback and trying new things - Boomie, Mer, Kral, I'm lookin at you
    Special shout out to No Pain for always being super nice, fun and encouraging.
    I also learned from Sugarteets that it's a good idea to look under someone's loin cloth. You never know what you can find.
    Ekklektik, Sylidor, and Ferenor taught me that the moors is a silly place, certainly no place for a hobbit.
    I've learned a lot of tidbits from a lot of people here. There are a lot of people on creepside who are happy to share tips and info about all aspects of the moors mechanics.

As far as my ezmoding, non-goat riding coward RK, I learned to make that thing OP on Silverlode through contributions of quite a number of people in terms of PvE raiding. No one showed me how to RK in the moors. It was an easy transition.
    Last edited by Ryssadis; Sep 01 2013 at 01:58 AM.
    ~*~Ryssawyn~*~ (RK)
    Acheros (LM) Glitzen (Guard)
    Snozzberries Defiler of great taste.

Going to try my very best to not make this a popularity contest with my post.

Lycon (Youlackdiscipline) and Heroforhire (Bowflex) were the two who even got me out to the Moors in the first place. They taught me all of the basics of the Moors like where everything was, how to kill the ugly people, and that dying to greenies was quite shameful!

When it came to Rune-Keepers and healing in the Moors, I didn't have a mentor. I was one of the first two Rune-Keepers out in the Moors on Elendilmir and had to go through trial and error of what worked and what didn't. IE: When RKs first came out, DPSing was no good in the Moors - that's why I always healed my little pocket warden Orangeeoz and continued to heal from that point on! Some of you vet creeps must remember our little misfit attempt at a duo.. we were quite comical.

Defilers were a bit more of a challenge but after fighting for years against the likes of Nopain, Sniz, and Grulack.. you begin to notice a few things like how to move and how to defend yourself. When I actually started to work on my defiler more, I began to seek advice from Nopain and Sniz a lot and would run numbers/builds by them to figure out what worked and what didn't. I'd have to say they were easily my biggest influences on the defiler class.
    [size=1]· · · [b]curset [color=grey]rank 13 ~ defiler [/color][color=white]brandywine[/color][/b] · · ·
    meraithe [color=grey](retired) anv rank 12 healing rk [/color][color=white]elendilmir[/color][/size]

I figured mostly everything on my own. I played a hunter back in SoA through Mirkwood and pretty much all I had to do was pew pew.
    I ran solo most of the time too. But there was this awesome, funny guy named Dealarr who made me a better player. He showed me there was more to just pew pew'ing. He would invite me to his small groups and that's when I got addicted to the moors. I always had a blast running with his crazy self. If only he was still around so I could /ROAR at him.
    S T Y L O
    R14 Runekeeper From Elendilmir
    Achilles' Heel | Crickhollow

Back when I did play on freepside (RoI days), it was Eli Assaultmedic that took me around and showed me the ropes.

When I started on creepside a couple of months ago, I found the community to be generally quite helpful, particularly Sniz and Suster.
    Elendilmir: Southern Cross Kinship
    Freeps: Scruffodian; Scruffbeard; Scruffeldor; Scruffynerf; Scruffwulf; Scruffystone; Scruffiness; Scruffphor; Scruffward
    Creeps: Frothrat; Frothfight; Frothed; Frothleg; Frothnakh; Frothface

When I started out my creep there was very few people who would take a greenie on along with their group and show me the basics etc. I'd say Smegrat , Grizlark , and Cowlick helped me out alot. Sniz and Boshizzle were a huge help as well with defiler stuff .
    [CENTER]Saelrom - 85 Minstrel | Swadra - 85 Warden | Navya 75 Burglar | Sindhu - 95 Captain | Saelwiz - 85 Rune-Keeper | Adoraba - 75 Hunter | Saelwar | 85 Guardian | Saelwise - 85 Loremaster[/CENTER]
    [center] Saelgash - R9 Defiler[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Ryssadis View Post
    As far as my ezmoding, non-goat riding coward RK, I learned to make that thing OP on Silverlode through contributions of quite a number of people in terms of PvE raiding. No one showed me how to RK in the moors. It was an easy transition.
    So you're saying we have Word to blame for that.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Easy! Seremela!!!

I was a lonely hunter, my name alone brought out the Warg Packs... Porkchops, the Porkchopper. I was lost in the PVmP world... She guided me to one in my Kin who could help as well, but something happened that day, I became entranced with the Great EYE of Sauron and never looked back!
    [IMG]http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B85%3Enu%3D3256%3E%3B3%3A%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D36385%3A%3B963325nu0mrj[/IMG]
    CHUMBO - Rank 12 - Malevolent Warg of Brandywine!