We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hobbit, new to server, looking for rp campaign(s)

Greetings all! Being fairly new to Landroval server, I decided to try something different and so rolled a Hobbit Burglar (Its quite different than being in an all-eleven heavy rp kinship on my home server). I've since learned that music is a very important social grace on Landroval. Still, I'm looking for something a little more immersive that might also afford an opportunity to learn a bit about what it means to be a Hobbit in Tolkien's world.

If there are any ongoing Hobbit-based medium to heavy rp campaigns taking place, I would sure love to hear about it. Thank you for any insight as it will be greatly appreciated. ~ Best

A bit about me:
    Two things about "Potter" Dirter Noakes of the Harfoots. He is true to his name and esteemed for an appreciation of good earth. Being a Harfoot, means digging deeper than most. In Dirter's case this means knowledge, and getting to the center of things. Known for his ability to fashion clay into functional wares.. "Clay is not Dirt though mind you".. Dirter has an enthusiasm for tempering things and testing their worth, be they bowls, cups, mugs.. people. Harfoots have always had closer relations with Dwarves than have other Hobbits, but in Dirter's case others sometimes think him a little too close to them and even a little peculiar for it.

Noakes: Noakes is a working class surname of Shire hobbits. The name is derived from a place of dwelling and means 'at the oak' or 'dweller by the oak tree'.

Harfoot: Not strictly a family, but rather one of the three 'breeds' of hobbits. The name is derived from 'hair-foot'. Most common of the three original ancient Hobbit-strains, also the smallest and most common. The Harfoots were the first to enter Eriador, a century before the Fallohides or Stoors.

To begin, I invite you to Farmer Maggot's farm on Sunday, 10/13, at 4:00 PM (East Coast time).

October 15 is Mushroom day. Of course, that being a Tuesday, it is not a good day for celebrations.

Therefore, we will be celebrating Mushroom Day on October 13th. There's no better place than Farmer Maggot's farm and . . . though some may find it hard to believe . . . he has allowed us to gather at his house so as to celebrate the day devoted to Mushrooms.

There'll be races, and music . . . and mushroom pies.

The whole Shire is invited. As well as folk outside the Shire.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Thank you for your response! I'm wondering if you are at all affiliated with the "Shire-bound Bounders" as mentioned in Brimbur's (i.e. Brucha, formerly Nuri of Durin's Folk on Crickhollow) "Total Immersion: The Long Road to Esteldín" Thread ( https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Esteld%C3%ADn ).

As for mushrooms, there is a brief mention of them as they relate to Frodo Baggins and Farmer Maggot here: http://www.tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Farmer_Maggot
    And also a bit about Bamfurlong, Farmer Maggot's Farm, as being an ideal location for mushrooms here: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Bamfurlong ...

Either way, I didn't know there was a Mushroom Day, and this is strangely exciting to me. Looking forward to this. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Breeon View Post
    Thank you for your response! I'm wondering if you are at all affiliated with the "Shire-bound Bounders" as mentioned in Brimbur's (i.e. Brucha, formerly Nuri of Durin's Folk on Crickhollow) "Total Immersion: The Long Road to Esteldín" Thread ( https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Esteld%C3%ADn ).
    Yep. Though Club Éclair has been crowding out this particular interest. Still, the Mushroom Day celebrations are organized by Daffodilia - the leader of the Shire-bound Bounders, and will likely be attended by Reisenbread. Both of which were mentioned in the story of Brimbur.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

T'was good to have participated in the event at Farmer Maggot's Farm, even if for just a short while. Hobbits aside, I'd consider the event light to medium roleplay but that probably had more to do with the nature of the event than anything. It was certainly good meeting other Hobbits. Daffodilia, Reisenbread.. Shire-Bound Bounders, and everyone else in attendance seem a good sort. It was interesting also, Reisnbread, to learn how you all do things. Not sure how I feel about xp blockers, though I understand your reason for using them. I'll keep a listen and a watch out. ~ Best
    Last edited by Breeon; Oct 13 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Clarification Given In-Game via Event

Rusto Banks is my character.. and I have been looking for a "rumoring night" that older working Hobbits can have a good drink, tell a few queer tales together, and mayhaps enjoy a few merry songs fashioned after the Hobbit bath song, the Green Dragon drinking song, and even a Wishing song.

I just haven't found many Hobbits that are that interested in joining me. It wouldn't have to be weekly even.. maybe bi weekly in the Golden Perch....

But queer tales can lead to many possible adventures of their own. As I play, Rusto is a volunteer Bounder. He is not within the Bounders of the Shire kinship mind you, since he doesn't wear a uniform based on the following quote from the books:

"The Sherriffs was the name that the Hobbits gave to their police, or the nearest equivalent that they possessed. They had, of course, no uniforms (such things being quite unknown), only a feather in their caps; and they were in practice rather haywards than policemen, more concerned with the strayings of beasts than of people. They were in all the Shire only Twelve of them, three in each Farthing, for Inside Work. A rather larger body, varying at need, was employed to 'beat the bounds', and to see that Outsiders of any kind, great or small, did not make themselves a nuisance.

At the time when this story begins the Bounders, as they were called, had been greatly increased."

-The Fellowship of the Ring
    I'm not complaining (though I might be a little ornory because I would totally join them otherwise ); they are an amazing kinship full of friendly folk that give a lot of life into the community!

Now, with the trouble that had happened to Buckland in regards to the Black Rider, ( and Rusto heard of it since he lives near Stock), Rusto is mighty nervous about things. The Buckland Militia was recently formed after the wake of the Nazgul (Fear, Fire, Foes, Awake!) but things might be set in motion for the elder Mathom collector that might force him to become an "Out of Bounder" if you will.

If you are interested in any of these ideas, let me know.

Rusto
    Last edited by Mutters; Oct 15 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutters View Post
    As I play, Rusto is a volunteer Bounder. He is not within the Bounders of the Shire kinship mind you, since he doesn't wear a uniform based on the following quote from the books . . .
    Oh, this gives me a chance to tell the story of the "uniform" of the Bounders of the Shire.

I will start with this - uniforms are optional. They're not even encouraged, except by one peculiar hobbit - a voluntary assistant chief named of Ayrhawk.

You see, Ayrhawk is a bit . . . well . . . strict. He saw something about how men folk organize themselves in ranks with uniforms and formalities and such, and he thought the Bounders should follow their lead. So he designed himself a Bounder uniform. He showed it off at Addernotch Station one day and said - near to insisted - that all Bounders wear them.

He also proposed that Bounders be told to rise before dawn and go out on forced marches . . . . before first breakfast! He refuses to drink, on account that drink renders a hobbit unfit for battle. And he condemns all other Bounders who engages in frivolities.

DON'T YOU REALIZE THERE IS A WAR ON?! He would shout.

Well, most of us as Addernotch Station think he's a bit peculiar. In fact, many of us know the story of how he came to be this way. It's a bit embarrassing for him, so I'll not tell it here. But if you heard the story, I think you would feel a bit of sympathy for him. Nonetheless, his heart is in defending the Shire, and that can't be faulted.

Well, Chief Meadowlarke will remind any Bounder that runs afoul of Ayrhawk that no Bounder uniform is required. People are free to wear what they will. Some choose to wear Ayrhawk's uniform - many do not.

He's often mocked, truth be told, by them who consider his attitude peculiar. But he's determined that if harm comes to the Shire, it will not be by his fault, and that the best he can do is lead by example, hope others follow, and dismiss them who scoff.

"War us coming. I will not fail the Shire."

On buttoning day Bounders tend to wear Ayrhawk's uniform. But even Bounder inspections tend to find people wearing what suits their style.

And Bounders are perfectly free to snack during inspections - and there tends to be a lot of background chatter.

The way menfolk organize themselves - stand at attention! No talking! In uniform! - That just doesn't fit us.

And there will be no rousing Bounders out of bed and making them march before first Breakfast. And it's perfectly acceptable to enjoy an ale - even when you're on duty. Not so much as to cause drunkenness, mind you. Well . . . Not too often anyways.

Ayrhawk is not even in the Shire anymore. He's off east happily fighting his war. In the last post we got, he was in some Dwarf cave called Moria battling orcs. He's got the company of two other Addernotch Bounders - Hoedown and Sparo. There's also this man-soldier named Dagodor with . . . ironically . . . an affection (affliction) for alcohol and a woman servant who tends to his needs. There's Ethalwyn, a bowmaiden with a dreadful fear of heights. And Heid, a scout, who wanders off from time to time on some task she does not speak about.

So there's no chance of running into him in the Shire anymore. Recruits can breathe easy these days.

I have to say, one of the values of being in a kinship that has been around for so long - we have a long and colorful history - lots of stories and traditions.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Oct 16 2013 at 09:05 PM.

... queer tales can lead to many possible adventures of their own. As I play, Rusto is a volunteer Bounder. He is not within the Bounders of the Shire kinship mind you, since he doesn't wear a uniform...

Now, with the trouble that had happened to Buckland in regards to the Black Rider, ( and Rusto heard of it since he lives near Stock), Rusto is mighty nervous about things. The Buckland Militia was recently formed after the wake of the Nazgul (Fear, Fire, Foes, Awake!) but things might be set in motion for the elder Mathom collector that might force him to become an "Out of Bounder" if you will.
    Uniform requirements.. or non-requirements whichever the case may be, and XP restrictions, or 'Blockers'.. however one wishes to word it and for whatever reasons others may wish to involve themselves in such actions, or in-actions as the case may be.. (ahem) aside..

This is one Hobbit who embraces the structure and parameters within which this online game has placed us. Stepping outside the Shire is not the kind of thing one discusses openly or in unfamiliar company no doubt. But in terms of role-playing, the appeal of entertaining one's curiosities is not something necessarily lesser or bad even, in my opinion. I certainly don't frown down upon it. I wouldn't readily go on bragging about having run off to Rivendell and beat up on some trolls over in the North Downs all in an afternoon. And the simple act of picking mushrooms can be rich in storytelling, mind you. But in terms of allowing for the larger world to inform my character, I don't want to set any limitations upon myself just yet.

I'm curious to hear more about this Buckland Militia, and in maybe sharing a tale or two.
    Last edited by Breeon; Oct 16 2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: formatting

Meadowlarke, that story is hilarious. I love it.

I have a Bree hobbit. I RP her sometimes. She is a Proper Bree Hobbit, with a small streak of Lobelia (not nearly as bad but... yes. She's interesting).

Folks can PM me if they want a dose of it.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    Oh, this gives me a chance to tell the story of the "uniform" of the Bounders of the Shire.

…….

So there's no chance of running into him in the Shire anymore. Recruits can breathe easy these days.

I have to say, one of the values of being in a kinship that has been around for so long - we have a long and colorful history - lots of stories and traditions.
    I must say that is just the response I was hoping to garner from my quote… I am glad indeed to hear of it. Very rich storyline! I just wanted to clarify that I was not trying to single the Bounders o the Shire to criticize by any means!

Quote Originally Posted by Breeon View Post
    Uniform requirements.. or non-requirements whichever the case may be, and XP restrictions, or 'Blockers'.. however one wishes to word it and for whatever reasons others may wish to involve themselves in such actions, or in-actions as the case may be.. (ahem) aside..

This is one Hobbit who embraces the structure and parameters within which this online game has placed us. Stepping outside the Shire is not the kind of thing one discusses openly or in unfamiliar company no doubt. But in terms of role-playing, the appeal of entertaining one's curiosities is not something necessarily lesser or bad even, in my opinion. I certainly don't frown down upon it. I wouldn't readily go on bragging about having run off to Rivendell and beat up on some trolls over in the North Downs all in an afternoon. And the simple act of picking mushrooms can be rich in storytelling, mind you. But in terms of allowing for the larger world to inform my character, I don't want to set any limitations upon myself just yet.

I'm curious to hear more about this Buckland Militia, and in maybe sharing a tale or two.

I can agree with your point. If Rusto were to go beyond the Bounds, he’d likely be very careful about who he’d tell, if anyone!

The Buckland Militia was one of those things that are loosely mentioned in lore, not really an actual kinship dedicated to them in game (Though that would be fun!). Add Rusto to your friends list and we’ll discuss some things over a schooner or a middy of ale, or wine, as one prefers. Makes no matter to Ol’ Rusto.

I have also begun working on a list (for my own personal knowledge) of player Hobbits and how they’re related to one another. Hobbits take a lot of pride into who and how they are related to one another and a I have found in the few Rusto has spoken to, there is a lot of RP to be had through such inquiries. Rusto has been in Stock and along the Brandywine banks most of his life, so it gives me a reason to not know many folk in the West and North Farthing.

I can agree with your point. If Rusto were to go beyond the Bounds, he’d likely be very careful about who he’d tell, if anyone!
    Wasn't much making a point as conceding to the fact that most serious role-players probably wouldn't take too kindly to any sort of Hobbit that openly discussed adventuring, in all its myriad facets, despite being allowed for in-game.

The Buckland Militia was one of those things that are loosely mentioned in lore, not really an actual kinship dedicated to them in game (Though that would be fun!).
    Interesting. Definitely something to look into.

Hobbits take a lot of pride into who and how they are related to one another and a I have found in the few Rusto has spoken to, there is a lot of RP to be had through such inquiries.
    As I said at the start, I am accustomed to role-playing elves. I am guessing that it is a misnomer to suppose its easy to rp a Hobbit, so this point is well received and offers much food for thought. And why shouldn't it be challenging or thought provoking? :P Thank you.

Add Rusto to your friends list and we’ll discuss some things over a schooner or a middy of ale, or wine, as one prefers. Makes no matter to Ol’ Rusto.
    Will do. Thank you.

I must say that is just the response I was hoping to garner from my quote… I am glad indeed to hear of it. Very rich storyline! I just wanted to clarify that I was not trying to single the Bounders o the Shire to criticize by any means!
    I would like to make it clear that . . . well . . . there's two types of stories among roleplayers.

There's the backstory that gets made up whole cloth.

And there's the story that's generated from characters interacting with each other - the story that is generated within roleplay.

The story of Ayrhawk's uniform is the latter. It was about 1 year after the game started that Ayrhawk came to the station with his idea of uniform and tried to get the other Bounders to adopt it. There was a lot of roleplaying, with some adopting the uniform, others doing so only to appease Ayrhawk and changing back to their comfortable clothes at the first opportunity - and getting caught. Lyonardo never adopted a uniform. Filidor lost his hat . . . well . . . his Bounder hat was taken from him. Kestryl's hat was eaten by a bear. There's the Chief making his rule that no uniform would ever be required of any Bounder, and Ayrhawk's disapproval.

I just wanted to say . . . this isn't a backstory the Bounders invented to explain the uniform. It actually happened - in roleplay - over the course of . . . well . . . in a sense, it is still ongoing.